Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Cutaway Chassis at the Model A Museum

Someone had done an excellent job of making a nice cutaway Model A running gear, and had it displayed at the Gilmore Museum Model A building in Hickory Corners, Michigan. Last summer I noticed it was gone, and was told it was returned to the owner.

I was just wondering if there are any plans to put together another one for permanent display?
People could donate bad parts to be cut for the display, but I'd hope good parts wouldn't be destroyed for the project.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
Afordman31

Default Re: Cutaway Chassis at the Model A Museum

Tom, I asked last year where it had gone and why? The answer, liability from people sticking their fingers in different areas of cutout. Afraid of lawsuits. That what was told to me.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afordman31 View Post
Tom, I asked last year where it had gone and why? The answer, liability from people sticking their fingers in different areas of cutout. Afraid of lawsuits. That what was told to me.
That sure sounds like a lame excuse to me. The way things are going we will have to wear a helmet and air bags to walk outside the house. Some people will always do stupid things and ..............oh well.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
elklake

Tom:

As a Trustee of the Model A Ford Foundation (MAFFI) and the museum I want to thank you for the nice comments about the cutaway chassis and the thought of starting a project to get it replaced.

Let me explain what happened.

The bad news - the chassis you saw was on loan to the museum by it's owner and the loan agreement expired so the museum had to return it to the owner. It was not removed from the museum because of potential liability problems.

The good news - it was replaced by another cutaway chassis and cutaway motor that were already at the museum and at Gilmore! Attached is a picture I took recently of the display. We also added the original large chassis poster hanging on the wall. It came from a Ford dealership in the Model A era and was donated to the museum by the family of a Model A enthusiast in his memory.

The inventory and displays at the Model A Museum are changed and updated quite a bit throughout the year. This summer we will be adding the "Around the world Model A" car and a display showing pictures and explaining this historic vehicle and the trip it took.

Please consider a return visit to the museum to catch up on all of the changes made since the last time you were there.

It was a pleasure meeting you at the the Model A Day at the museum last September and I enjoyed the seminar you put on when you were there. Hopefully you can make it back again this September for the event!

Randy

IMG_5697.jpg
elklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
Afordman31

Thanks Randy
The information that I posted about Liability was what was told to me. Thank you for the update. Afordman31
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
Al 29Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
That sure sounds like a lame excuse to me. The way things are going we will have to wear a helmet and air bags to walk outside the house. Some people will always do stupid things and ..............oh well.
X2 !
They are legislating our lives away.
The legal beagles have developed such industry we can't even turn around.
I feel better now
Al
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #7
Ronnie Lawson

Mr. Tom.
I know the owner and why he removed it.
He was told that they was removing the crank from the cutaway for liability reasons.
They did not want anybody cranking it over and someone else sticking their finger in and getting it cut off.
So he went and picked it up at brought it back to Indiana because they would not use the crank in it as it was designed for.
Ronnie Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by elklake View Post
Tom:

As a Trustee of the Model A Ford Foundation (MAFFI) and the museum I want to thank you for the nice comments about the cutaway chassis and the thought of starting a project to get it replaced.

Let me explain what happened.

The bad news - the chassis you saw was on loan to the museum by it's owner and the loan agreement expired so the museum had to return it to the owner. It was not removed from the museum because of potential liability problems.

The good news - it was replaced by another cutaway chassis and cutaway motor that were already at the museum and at Gilmore! Attached is a picture I took recently of the display. We also added the original large chassis poster hanging on the wall. It came from a Ford dealership in the Model A era and was donated to the museum by the family of a Model A enthusiast in his memory.

The inventory and displays at the Model A Museum are changed and updated quite a bit throughout the year. This summer we will be adding the "Around the world Model A" car and a display showing pictures and explaining this historic vehicle and the trip it took.

Please consider a return visit to the museum to catch up on all of the changes made since the last time you were there.

It was a pleasure meeting you at the the Model A Day at the museum last September and I enjoyed the seminar you put on when you were there. Hopefully you can make it back again this September for the event!

Randy

Attachment 265008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Lawson View Post
Mr. Tom.
I know the owner and why he removed it.
He was told that they was removing the crank from the cutaway for liability reasons.
They did not want anybody cranking it over and someone else sticking their finger in and getting it cut off.
So he went and picked it up at brought it back to Indiana because they would not use the crank in it as it was designed for.

Nothin' like knowin' the facts from both sides!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

The statements seem to be in conflict but I am sure one of them is true. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote