Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Default Fuel Filter

I was over at my friend's house the other day and watched as he installed his carburator after cleaning out the mesh micro filter that disolved as a result of todays fuels. What a mess. He told me that he was going to put
in an inline filter instead. Soooooo, I opened the rumble lid on my coupe and
pulled out my spare filter and told him to try it instead----no need for clamps, no need for hoses to splice into the fuel line, no need to cut the line, etc., etc.... A lot of guys on the barn know the filter I'm talking about, but for you newbies it's the NAPA filter P/N 3039 that sits in the glass sediment bowl. Of course it doesn't work for you guys with the sediment bulb, lol. What I like about this filter is that once it is installed
there is about an inch of space between the bottom of the filter and the
glass bowl-----plenty of room to place a small magnet to pick up any rust
particles that the filter might miss. I use a 1/4" X 1: industrial magnet that
grabs onto the bottom of the filter on the metal rim. Pretty neat. My
friend is as "happy as a clam." JMHO

Jack

Last edited by Jack '29 Sport Coupe; 10-26-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Jack '29 Sport Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
MrTube

Default Re: Fuel Filter

I had a lot of problems using a filter in the sediment bowl. Atleast a few years back it clogged up very fast. Chances are the tank is much cleaner now.

I have the screen installed in the sediment bowl and since we've been driving it i'm seeing far less in the bowl. At first I was emptying the bowl every trip. Now its rare.

But I do like the idea of a magnet in the bowl to catch rust! I'll be throwing one in immediately.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

I think you'll like it. In short order you will probably see the magnet sport a new
patina-----rust/brown, lol.

Jack
Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

NAPA 3039/with magnet on bottom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEDIMENT BOWL WITH NAPA FILTER.jpg (36.4 KB, 884 views)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i just put the filter in mine also so i am still testing it. never had a problem with trash in my tank anyway but figured it cant hurt having it. i also left the screen on top of it also.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
MrTube

Jack : I assume the only thing that holds this filter in is the black flat part of the filter? I guess it acts as a gasket against the glass?

I'm looking into ordering two of them and more details if possible.
Also which side does the tank drain into. the center of the filter, or the outer edge?

I have been thinking of ordering a 1" round magnet from mcmaster and laying it in the bowl.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

No, the filter has a lip on the edge and just sits on top of the sediment bowl and
the filter hangs inside just as pretty as you please. Check it out on google and you
will see a picture of the lip. Just google Napa filter 3039.

Jack
Old 10-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
IrishHills

Looks like a spring in the bottom?
IrishHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
MrTube

Doesn't the tank drain into the center of the filter, making the magnet useless?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHills View Post

Looks like a spring in the bottom?

thats a different design filter than the one talked about here. this one has a large lip built into the top so the glass bulb holds it up no spring needed..
Old 10-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Mitch has it right. That other filter is a different critter. No spring required with the
3039. Mitch's picture shows the lip that I mentioned. Just pop it into the bowl and
the lip will seat onto the top of the bowl.

Jack
Old 10-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
IrishHills

OK, I see.. thanks
IrishHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
ken ct
BANNED

The first pic Mitch put up looks like a WIX one,these are longer and wont fit in some V8 glass bowls. The napa 3039 does need a spring on the V8 bowls and the center hole has to be opened up a little to fit over the nub in the center of the V8 pump.ken ct. Use in all my glass bowl rebuilt pumps.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Ken, I know nothing about the V8 bowls, but the 3039 does NOT need a
spring on the "A" bowl.

Jack
Old 10-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Mr. Tube, in spite of the excellent filtering of the Napa 3039 filter, the magnet
DOES pick up some rust that manages to slip through---albeit very fine. Every couple
of months or so, I take the magnet out and wipe off the fine particles. Every bit of
a foreign item you can keep out of the carb is a good thing. JMHO

Jack

Last edited by Jack '29 Sport Coupe; 10-30-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Jack '29 Sport Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
bogiediver

Sorry to bring up another old thread... but did not see this addressed in any of the many threads that spoke about the NAPA 3039 filter

I have a '31 with the glass sediment bowl...

I acquired the 3039 filter and, indeed, it does fit in the glass bowl, on the shoulder very nicely.

My question has to do with the flange on the filter.

Has the hole in the center for the fuel to enter - and a series of smaller holes around the edge - presumably for the fuel to pass thru on it's way to the outlet.

The question is both versions of the bowl gasket (cork or the neoprene) cover the series of smaller holes... how does the fuel make it to the outlet

Seems like the gasket would be blocking the flow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00148.JPG (33.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00149.JPG (28.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00150.JPG (26.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00152.JPG (28.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 01-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
Kevin in NJ

Just run with original brass filters if you are running the original carb.

The carb is designed to let crap run through it. To be honest, the original brass screens did a great job on my 30 fordor.

The tank would clog the outlet valve when the stuff settled out. So I put in a short piece of copper tubing in the valve to prevent stuff from getting in the valve. I put in a glass sediment bowl just so I could see what was coming out. I then just drove the car. I had to empty a lot of junk out of the bowl at first. Pretty quickly the amount of junk in the bowl became minimal. I monitored the original carb, got to love the single bolt tear down. Never found any stuff in the carb or in the carb filter.

Speaking of original filters, I am looking for a nice original glass bowl filter screen for my cabriolet.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
steve s

I suggest that you not get too excited about how well your filter works until you've got a couple hundred miles on it and until you've driven the car on a hot day. Those things are very seductive--they look so slick. IMO, they work best for folks whose systems are so clean that they don't need one anyhow. Vapor block is another issue--I could watch the clear plastic in-line model fill up with vapor and shut the engine down.

Here's a photo of all the models I've tried, and removed, over the years. The best for me was the red fiberglass CG3, but the new models are not made with fiberglass any more.

steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #20
jcheshire31

I had a lot of trouble with the micro mesh filter that has the spring and what not. After about a week the gas had turned the plastic into rubber practically and the spring smushed it up until it blocked the fuel flow. I had to put a couple small hose clamps around it for it to keep it's shape until I got home. Since then I've been running the paper in-bowl filter and haven't had any trouble what so ever. A guy I know runs the same paper filter and changes it every other year and has never had any trouble either.
jcheshire31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #21
bogiediver

jcheshire31-

Your experience with the gasket is as shown in one of the photos - covering the series of small holes - and you have no problem with fuel flow - it that what you're saying?

Just seems it would be blocked...

Thanks...
Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Yeah, I feel your pain on the micro filter. When I used one of those parts of the
fine mesh wound up in the carburetor. I've never had trouble with the NAPA 3039.

Jack
Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #23
bogiediver

Can someone who is using the NAPA 3039 address my question/concern, I'd really appreciate it...

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogiediver View Post
Can someone who is using the NAPA 3039 address my question/concern, I'd really appreciate it...

Thanks.
I see your point about the holes being covered. I'd cut the I.D. of the rim gasket a bit larger, just enough to uncover the holes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #25
bogiediver

Really hoping that someone who has used this filter could address my question...

Jack '29 Sport Coupe?

Someone else?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
steve s

I feel your pain and don't mean to be rude by not answering. Clearly, I must have dealt with that same problem somehow when I used that Hastings GF-18 filter seen in my photo, but I can't for the life of me remember how.

I do think I use cork gaskets, which may be narrower. Trimming your rubber one down, as Tom suggested, should work.

Steve
Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #27
bobpo

One trick I've learned over the years is to "Never" get gas when the Tanker Truck is at the Station. He stirs up all the sediment at the bottom of the storage tank and some of it will end up in your tank.................
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
Steam Engine Pete

Putting a filter in the sediment bowl really defeats the purpose of the sediment bowl. The crud is supposed to settle out in the bottom of the bowl. If you use a filter in a sediment bowl in a dirty system the filter will plug since fuel has to travel through it to get to the bowl. If you want to filter fuel in a dirty system do it after the bowl where the big stuff has settled out and then allow the filter to catch the fine stuff.

A sediment bowl with a good screen at the top and no filter should be adequate for these old vehicles.

Pete
Steam Engine Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #29
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Engine Pete View Post
Putting a filter in the sediment bowl really defeats the purpose of the sediment bowl. The crud is supposed to settle out in the bottom of the bowl. If you use a filter in a sediment bowl in a dirty system the filter will plug since fuel has to travel through it to get to the bowl. ...Pete
Not necessarily; depends on the filter. The two filters in the upper left of my photo above first shoot the gas down thru the center into the bowl. The fuel then has to turn around and go back thru the filter material right before leaving thru the ring of little holes in the top.

Steve
Old 01-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #30
Steam Engine Pete

Steve,
That is good to know. I always assumed the fuel went through the filter first. I will have to admit I have never tried a filter in the bowl on anything.

I did study your pictures and can see what you are saying. I could see using those but not the others.

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited by Steam Engine Pete; 01-26-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Studied pictures
Steam Engine Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #31
steve s

Smile Re: Fuel Filter

Quote:
Sorry to bring up another old thread... but did not see this addressed in any of the many threads that spoke about the NAPA 3039 filter

I have a '31 with the glass sediment bowl...

I acquired the 3039 filter and, indeed, it does fit in the glass bowl, on the shoulder very nicely.

My question has to do with the flange on the filter.

Has the hole in the center for the fuel to enter - and a series of smaller holes around the edge - presumably for the fuel to pass thru on it's way to the outlet.

The question is both versions of the bowl gasket (cork or the neoprene) cover the series of smaller holes... how does the fuel make it to the outlet

Seems like the gasket would be blocking the flow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Engine Pete View Post
Steve,
That is good to know. I always assumed the fuel went through the filter first. I will have to admit I have never tried a filter in the bowl on anything.

I did study your pictures and can see what you are saying. I could see using those but not the others.

Thanks,
Pete
Here's a few more pictures that might help. The Hastings GF 18 I believe is the substitute for the CarPlus 86039, which, if my notes are right, was the one recommended at a seminar at the 2007 MARC meet. It looks a lot like the 33039. It also came with the skinny gasket shown, which seals but does not block the holes. It worked ok for me for a while but then started vapor blocking and had to be removed.

To answer the other question, the GF 18 has a solid bottom, so the fuel does go thru the filter material before entering the bowl, defeating the sediment bowl function as described by Pete.

However, the other two models shown are open thru the center. In case you can't make out the footstool fabric in the above photo, here's one looking at the TV thru the 3034.

BTW, the problem with the 3034 was that the center hole was too small for the neck on the sed bowl top, even though it can accomodate an entire comedian head.

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 01-26-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #32
James Rogers

Quote:
Really hoping that someone who has used this filter could address my question...

Jack '29 Sport Coupe?

Someone else?

Thanks.
Jack, I don't have any experience with the filters since I don't use one, I have an indented firewall car. I can offer some insight on how the gasket works. When the bowl is tightened, the gasket is pulled into the top and the center will raise up to provide clearance for the fuel to get to the holes. This is true with the cork or neoprene gaskets. Myself, whgen I had a car with a glass bowl, I used a distributor gasket from a 390 FE motor since it is the correct diameter and has a tapered top which will compress and seal better IMHO. Mileage here will vary.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #33
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Yep, the fine mesh on those micro flters gets eaten up in no time by the gasoline additives, and little particles of the mesh wind up in the carburetor in no time. The paper filter such as a NAPA 3039 work like a charm.

Jack
Old 07-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #34
nickair

Great posts. I am talked into trying the NAPA 3039 filter.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #35
Mitch//pa
BANNED

here is a pic i had saved of a wix part #

Old 07-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #36
Purdy Swoft

The most important filter is a mesh stand up filter that fits in the gas cut off valve. If there is enough trash, rust, or loose varnish in the tank to cause a real problem, it will first clog the cut off valve, the engine will sputter, maybe pop and quit running. Sediment should settle to the bottom of the glass bowl if thats the type used and the pre filter in the carburetor should catch the rest. In line filters should be avoided because most are made for later cars with fuel pumps and will restrict flow in a gravity feed system. Not saying that it doesn't happen but I've never seen any filter desolve. The problem that I had with micro filters was that they would clog with micro particals that would have passed through the carburetor with NO problem. Filters are good, but too many filters will restrict flow, don't get carried away .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #37
hardtimes

How about just cleaning the gas tanks properly ? That would make most of this expense/clogging/special filter experimenting research moot..no ?
And , as to vapor lock...must be fortunate here on left coast that we don't have corn fuel...yet !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #38
Purdy Swoft

I agree and and take the time to first thoroughly clean my gas tanks. The problem will always be that when the tanks at the gas station get filled, trash at the bottom of their tanks get stirred up and the gas that we get will usually not be completely clean. In any case the stand up filter in the cut off valve is the most important filter for the model A. I even use one in my 31 tudor with the outside cut off valve, it doesn't stand up in that case but does the same job.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #39
Mitch//pa
BANNED

a fuel system does not have to be dirty to run a bowl filter.. it does no harm to the flow or operation of the car but protects it

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 07-19-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #40
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I agree and and take the time to first thoroughly clean my gas tanks. The problem will always be that when the tanks at the gas station get filled, trash at the bottom of their tanks get stirred up and the gas that we get will usually not be completely clean. In any case the stand up filter in the cut off valve is the most important filter for the model A. I even use one in my 31 tudor with the outside cut off valve, it doesn't stand up in that case but does the same job.
Hey Purdy,
Yeah, just for the record...I like to filter everything, but start with a clean tank ! I agree regarding the little filter on the shut off valve (in the tank) is very valuable and also use that. I also use a see thru inline filter just before my 2X2 setup. This one I use just for the reason that you stated...possible stuff from gas station. I never use a gas station while those bulk trucks are unloading for the 'stirring up stuff' possibility. My inline filter has been there for years. I inspect it each/every time before engine operation..still clear. I sympathize with corn gas users troubles...and hey they use our taxes to make the stuff !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:55 AM   #41
DougVieyra

In 1960 - '70 all my glass-bowl fuel filters had a ceramic cone inside, to work as a filter. And most all of the glass-bowl filters I bought / saw at swap meets of those years, also had the ceramic cone inserted inside the glass bowl. What ever happened to all those ? Why is it that no one ever mentions them ?
As I have a supply of them, that is what I have always used , and still use. They seem to have work good for me for over 50 years. I would appreciate hearing from some of you, why no one mentions using these old ceramic cones as a filter in their glass bowls. Have other found them giving poor service ?
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:15 AM   #42
Tom Wesenberg

Doug, I was just thinking about those same filters today, because I'd like to add one to my 1950 Studebaker glass bowl. I took the carb apart after driving it 100 miles and found some fine rust in the carb bowl. I'll have to buy one of the NAPA paper filters and see if that will trap the fine stuff, but I better buy a spare in case it fill up. I think the ceramic ones can be cleaned by back flushing.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:27 AM   #43
Harley03joe

Ok I Read All The Post's But I Did Not See Any Recommendations On What Inline Or Sediment Bowl Filter Is Best Wix #33039, Fram # CG3, Or Hasting # GF18 ?

Also What Do Most Of You Think About The InLine Filter Fram # G1 ?

You See I'm Getting Real Fine Rust Dust, And I Flushed The Tank 4 Times

Let Me Know Ok
Thank You
Harley03joe
Harley03joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #44
Mitch//pa
BANNED

The fram cg3 lokks like it is a different style and may not be held up in place by the bowl

Go with the Hastings or wix

Stay away from inlines period most restrict gravity flow, they look bad and can also be a fire hazard

make sure you have the standup in the tank also

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-11-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #45
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack '29 Sport Coupe View Post
I was over at my friend's house the other day and watched as he installed his carburator after cleaning out the mesh micro filter that disolved as a result of todays fuels. What a mess. He told me that he was going to put
pulled out my spare filter and told him to try it instead----no need for clamps, no need for hoses to splice into the fuel line, no need to cut the line, etc., etc.... A lot of guys on the barn know the filter I'm talking about, but for you newbies it's the NAPA filter P/N 3039 that sits in the glass sediment bowl. Of course it doesn't work for you guys with the sediment bulb, lol. What I like about this filter is that once it is installed

Jack
Just how happy is a clam and why so? First time I ever heard that clams are happy !
Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 02-11-2015 at 09:07 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #46
DK1931

I did the same thing with the NAPA filter and magnet. The problem I'm having is the the bowl didn't fill with gas. Should it? Thanks Don
DK1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #47
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK1931 View Post
I did the same thing with the NAPA filter and magnet. The problem I'm having is the the bowl didn't fill with gas. Should it? Thanks Don
yes it should fill to the top like originally
it has air
turn on the fuel and loosen the bowl a tad to purge it
Old 02-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #48
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
The fram cg3 lokks like it is a different style and may not be held up in place by the bowl

Go with the Hastings or wix

Stay away from inlines period most restrict gravity flow, they look bad and can also be a fire hazard

make sure you have the standup in the tank also
Ok Thanks For Your Input
Old 02-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #49
Harley03joe

Quote:
Yep, the fine mesh on those micro flters gets eaten up in no time by the gasoline additives, and little particles of the mesh wind up in the carburetor in no time. The paper filter such as a NAPA 3039 work like a charm.

Jack
JACK:
Do You Have To Use The Bowl Gasket With The Napa 3039 Or Wix 33036 Filter ??
Thanks For Your Answer
Harley03joe
Old 02-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #50
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley03joe View Post
JACK:
Do You Have To Use The Bowl Gasket With The Napa 3039 Or Wix 33036 Filter ??
Thanks For Your Answer
Harley03joe
i am not Jack but yes use the cork gasket and screen as before
Old 02-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #51
Michael M

For C26PineLake:

happy as a clam
To be exceedingly happy and content.
The full phrase is "happy as a clam at high tide." Clams can only be dug up at low tides, so at high tide a clam is safer and secure, so therefore, happy.
Everything in my life seems to be going great; I'm happy as a clam.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #52
Harley03joe

Quote:
i am not Jack but yes use the cork gasket and screen as before
Ok Thank You, But I Have The Rubber Gasket ?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #53
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Ok Thank You, But I Have The Rubber Gasket ?
i have had the ethanol attack the rubber...
im not saying it won't work just beware
Old 02-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #54
Harley03joe

Quote:
i have had the ethanol attack the rubber...
im not saying it won't work just beware
Ok I Just Orded From Snyders
Thank You Mitch

ITEM PRODUCT NUMBER QTY ITEM PRICE TOTAL PRICE

5 Sediment Bulb Gaskets Cork A-8110-A-Q5 1 $1.50

Gas Line A-9240-B 1 $5.25

5 Sediment Bulb Screen A-9155-SC 5 $1.50 $7.50

Headlight Visors A-13004-J 1 $26.75 $26.75

Did I Do Good ?
Old 02-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #55
Paul from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I see your point about the holes being covered. I'd cut the I.D. of the rim gasket a bit larger, just enough to uncover the holes.
That's what I did about three years ago. Haven't had a fuel system problem since!
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #56
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Ok I Just Orded From Snyders
Thank You Mitch

ITEM PRODUCT NUMBER QTY ITEM PRICE TOTAL PRICE

5 Sediment Bulb Gaskets Cork A-8110-A-Q5 1 $1.50

Gas Line A-9240-B 1 $5.25

5 Sediment Bulb Screen A-9155-SC 5 $1.50 $7.50

Headlight Visors A-13004-J 1 $26.75 $26.75

Did I Do Good ?
i am always able to reuse the screens, clean then with carb cleaner and blow it off... but yes you did good it doesnt hurt to have extra things plus its cheap enough. i always keep alot of the corks in stock along with extra fuel filters...
Old 02-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #57
Harley03joe

Quote:
i am always able to reuse the screens, clean then with carb cleaner and blow it off... but yes you did good it doesnt hurt to have extra things plus its cheap enough. i always keep alot of the corks in stock along with extra fuel filters...
Me Also Mitch
I Got 5 Wix 33039 Fuel Filter Coming Also
What Filter Do You Use ? And Does It Go Like This Screen First Then Cork Gasket Then Filter ? Does The Holes Get Coverd Up At All ?
Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #58
Mitch//pa
BANNED

screen first then cork gasket.. the filter will sit against the glass bowl, there is a little recess for it to stay in place. youll see when you take it apart to install it.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #59
Harley03joe

Quote:
screen first then cork gasket.. the filter will sit against the glass bowl, there is a little recess for it to stay in place. youll see when you take it apart to install it.
Ok Mitch Thank You For That Info.
This Is Why I Love The Ford Barn Forum, Just Because Of Guys Just Like You.

Tell Me What Brand And Number Filter Are You Useing ?
Thank You
Joe
Harley03joe
Old 02-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #60
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Ok Mitch Thank You For That Info.
This Is Why I Love The Ford Barn Forum, Just Because Of Guys Just Like You.

Tell Me What Brand And Number Filter Are You Useing ?
Thank You
Joe
Harley03joe
thanks Joe,
see post #35 i use the wix 33039
Old 02-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #61
Harley03joe

Quote:
thanks Joe,
see post #35 i use the wix 33039

Your Very Welcome Mitch.

I Got The Same Filters Wix 33039, I Like Them Because The Fuel From The Tank Go Thru Them First, Not Like The Org Ones Where The Fuel Goes Thru The Outside First ,I Think This Is A Better Way To Filter Fuel.

But Will The Holes On The Top Of The Wix Filter Get Block Off By The Bowl Cork Gasket ??

I Do Have A Hand Punch, Do You Think It Would Be A Good Idea>>> To Make The Holes A Little Bigger On The Inboard Side ?
Joe
Old 02-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #62
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:

Your Very Welcome Mitch.

I Got The Same Filters Wix 33039, I Like Them Because The Fuel From The Tank Go Thru Them First, Not Like The Org Ones Where The Fuel Goes Thru The Outside First ,I Think This Is A Better Way To Filter Fuel.

But Will The Holes On The Top Of The Wix Filter Get Block Off By The Bowl Cork Gasket ??

I Do Have A Hand Punch, Do You Think It Would Be A Good Idea>>> To Make The Holes A Little Bigger On The Inboard Side ?
Joe
Hi Joe,
no modifications or reengineering is needed

Old 02-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #63
Rocketsled

Default Re: Fuel Filter & Magnet

Has anyone put a magnet in the tank?
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #64
afuncar

I placed a 4 inch speaker magnet by my gas outlet of my tank, I think it's helped keep the rust out of carb. I also placed a filter or trap from one of the parts suppliers in the sediment bowl, every little bit helps.
afuncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #65
daveymc29

I went to my local auto parts house, not a NAPA store and asked to cross reference the NAPA 3039 filter and they came up with a WIX 33039 that works fine. It also has a gasket built onto the top of it that seals to the glass bowl just fine. The gasket has a row of small holes around the outside of it to allow fuel to enter. I asked about a small magnet for inside the bowl and the guy ripped a refrigerator magnet off his cabinet and told me "There, free, cut as many as you like," So I did cut one and have material for more if I like the outcome.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #66
Skibb

Quote:

Jack

Jack, excuse his dumb question. I've found some 1/4" x 1/4" x 1" magnets and some Disc magnets 3/4" x 1/16". Would the first fit or which would be yur choice.

thanks, Skibb (Home of the Rustest Tank on the Model A Highway)
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #67
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuncar View Post
I placed a 4 inch speaker magnet by my gas outlet of my tank, I think it's helped keep the rust out of carb. I also placed a filter or trap from one of the parts suppliers in the sediment bowl, every little bit helps.
Do You Have A Picture Of The Trap ???
Thanks
Harley03joe
Old 02-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #68
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I went to my local auto parts house, not a NAPA store and asked to cross reference the NAPA 3039 filter and they came up with a WIX 33039 that works fine. It also has a gasket built onto the top of it that seals to the glass bowl just fine. The gasket has a row of small holes around the outside of it to allow fuel to enter. I asked about a small magnet for inside the bowl and the guy ripped a refrigerator magnet off his cabinet and told me "There, free, cut as many as you like," So I did cut one and have material for more if I like the outcome.
The Best &Strongest Magnet I Ever Had Was 2 From A Computer Hard Drive
Takes Two Hand To Pull Them Apart If You Can, I Can't So I Slide Them Sideways Till They Come Apart, There Very Very Strong, I Have 2 On The Outside Of My Fuel Tank In The Cab On My 31
Old 02-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #69
Harley03joe

Quote:
Hi Joe,

Ok Mitch I See The Holes, Thanks Again For The Info.
Mitch Check This Place For Filters Ok
Thanks Again
Joe
http://www.discountfleetsupply.com
Discount Fleet Supply - Heavy Duty Fleet Products - Buy Online! - www.DiscountFleetSupply.com
Old 02-12-2015, 11:26 PM   #70
Harley03joe

Quote:
Hi Joe,

Mitch ? So You Don't Need The Spring ? Right
Joe
Old 02-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #71
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Mitch ? So You Don't Need The Spring ? Right
Joe
correct no spring, the filter is held up in place by the bowl
Old 02-13-2015, 06:29 AM   #72
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Ok Mitch I See The Holes, Thanks Again For The Info.
Mitch Check This Place For Filters Ok
Thanks Again
Joe
http://www.discountfleetsupply.com
Discount Fleet Supply - Heavy Duty Fleet Products - Buy Online! - www.DiscountFleetSupply.com
thanks Joe,
for the link yes 2.90 is cheap but the shipping is over 10.00...
i get them from my shop jobber for 5.43 no shipping ,,no tax
Old 02-13-2015, 07:45 AM   #73
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
Jack, excuse his dumb question. I've found some 1/4" x 1/4" x 1" magnets and some Disc magnets 3/4" x 1/16". Would the first fit or which would be yur choice.

thanks, Skibb (Home of the Rustest Tank on the Model A Highway)

Jack has not signed on the barn since 9/8/14 @ 9:32 a/m so you might be waiting a while for your answer...
Old 02-14-2015, 01:02 AM   #74
Harley03joe

Quote:
thanks Joe,
for the link yes 2.90 is cheap but the shipping is over 10.00...
i get them from my shop jobber for 5.43 no shipping ,,no tax
O well You Win Some A Loss The Rest Ha Ha
Thanks
Joe
Old 02-14-2015, 01:03 AM   #75
Harley03joe

Quote:
correct no spring, the filter is held up in place by the bowl

Ok Thank You Mitch