Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #61
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Introduction

It is interesting how the different Forums responded to this thread. Here we have ~60 replies (so far), some good, some bad.

On the late V-8 Forum ('54+) there are "0" responses so the thread has been basically ignored as SPAM...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #62
Rowdy
BANNED

I think this is largely due to the quality of the parts they offer for each era. The Flathead guys seem to get a better quality of parts from them. Their main compaint s seem to be aboput shipping time and cost, where the parts they offer for the A era cars are of lesser quality than offered by most vendors along with the shipping cost and customer service. I do think Ecklers would be wise to address the quality concerns first and foremost and a little more efort from the shipping dept. to do their best to find a better rate for shipping, Each order is different and it only takes a couple of seconds to size up an order and make a quick decesion as to what is cheaper and faster for each. I have been doing this for over 12 years and it is not rocket science. All it takes is a small amount of actually giving a shit about reputation and the cutomer in general. Rod
Old 01-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #63
Charlville

Hats off for offering assistance, constructive criticism would be useful, hopefully everyone won't pile on?
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #64
BlueSunoco

One thing I admire about the Model A Ford aftermarket parts customers is, they won't take 'Close-to-original' as gospel. It had better be pretty darn good or else

These guys will hold your feet to the fire you'd better be able to deliver or else.Evidently Corvette people will accept less than ideal parts
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #65
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
...where the parts they offer for the A era cars are of lesser quality... Rod
Unfortunately I am finding that to be true with ALL the vendors.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #66
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Unfortunately I am finding that to be true with ALL the vendors.
To a certain extent you are very correct however I am not sure ALL vendors is an accurate statement. Breaking it down, ALL vendors must buy parts from someone, -and Ecklers/Macs has a wholesale division that manufacturers parts too. On a few items they manufacture, they are the only ones who offer a reproduction item, yet on many items they are one of at least two manufacturers. There are many smaller vendors that are dealers for MACs, therefore this would align with your thinking that many dealers have inferior parts. On the other hand, there are some vendors who choose to sell the best available. That is why I feel it is important to have a relationship with your parts dealer who knows Model-As and the parts they sell so they can advise you of what to expect regarding fit, accuracy, and aesthetics. To some, the fit, accuracy, operation, and aesthetics are not as important to them as the costs are.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #67
Y-Blockhead

You're right, I agree with what your saying. Maybe I should change that to ALL vendors I've dealt with? Who SHOULD I trust? I have had issues with most of the major player's parts and/or service.

When I order a part from one of the vendors that supposedly "who knows Model-As and the parts they sell so they can advise you of what to expect regarding fit, accuracy, and aesthetics" and receive a piece that is finished like this and the threaded holes are so bad that I have to retap them, then it makes me hesitant to order from that parts "dealer who knows Model-As and the parts they sell so they can advise you of what to expect regarding fit, accuracy, and aesthetics" again. Understand what I mean?

Not trying to start an argument, just stating the facts as I see and experienced them.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:22 AM   #68
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
You're right, I agree with what your saying. Maybe I should change that to ALL vendors I've dealt with? Who SHOULD I trust? I have had issues with most of the major player's parts and/or service.

When I order a part from one of the vendors that supposedly "who knows Model-As and the parts they sell so they can advise you of what to expect regarding fit, accuracy, and aesthetics" and receive a piece that is finished like this and the threaded holes are so bad that I have to retap them, then it makes me hesitant to order from that parts "dealer who knows Model-As and the parts they sell so they can advise you of what to expect regarding fit, accuracy, and aesthetics" again. Understand what I mean?

Not trying to start an argument, just stating the facts as I see and experienced them.
No one can expect a vendor that does not manufacture his own parts to check each and everyone of the parts he receives for stock. With that did you contact the vendor and let him know of the problem? How many people here just accept what we are given and never make our concerns known to the vendor. I can guarantee there are vendors out there that will stop selling a part if each and every one is a piece of shit.

As for Mac's, I wish them luck and can only assume that the reason they are here is to try to improve poor sales in the newly acquired Ford division.

Good luck to them and to us.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:49 AM   #69
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
With that did you contact the vendor and let him know of the problem?
Yes, They checked their stock and offered to re-tap another and send it even tho the finish is still crap. Hecho en Chine. As was quoted above "A vendor who knows Model-As and the parts they sell so they can advise you of what to expect regarding fit, accuracy, and aesthetics".

I am very reluctant to order from this vendor again and probably won't.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 01-30-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:20 AM   #70
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Yes, They checked their stock and offered to re-tap another and send it even tho the finish is still crap. Hecho en Chine. As was quoted above "A vendor who knows Model-As and the parts they sell so they can advise you of what to expect regarding fit, accuracy, and aesthetics".

I am very reluctant to order from this vendor again and probably won't.
Of course not!! the first thing out of their mouths should have been," I'm so sorry let me check the rest of our stock." Then it should have been, "It appears that all the units we received are in the same condition, I'm going to contact the manufacturer to try to get it solved. Would you like us to place one on back order for you, or offer you a refund on the part you now have?"

If it were my business!
Old 01-30-2015, 04:39 AM   #71
inex01

Having two Model As I have spent over 20K in the last few years and use Brattons exclusively. They are only 18 miles from my home and have established a super relationship with them. Walt, Jeff and both Tom's are always there when I have a question about installing anything and if I need to return or exchange it is never a problem. There parts are USA made and they make sure the parts that they sell are to Fords specifications.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #72
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Hi Scott;
As I mentioned above, many of your competitors have a vast amount of first-hand knowledge of the very vehicle inwhich they are selling parts for. For a company such as Ecklers which is trying to (re)gain some credibility in the market of which you are selling/manufacturing parts for, wouldn't it be prudent for Ecklers to hire an employee or two that truly has first-hand experience with the model of vehicle to service your customer?

Let me tell you why I am saying this. On the main Eckler's website, there is a comment about y'all have 50 years in the Restoration business, ...and there is even make a comment how y'all invented Restoration. ( http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/about-us ) While I will call that a total BS statement, it goes on to say that Ecklers has "experts" that not only know about the parts, but that y'all check out a part to not only ensure it fits, but that it is as good or better than the original. Unfortunately, from most people's experiences with Macs and Specialized in the past, nothing could be further from the truth with regard to Model-A parts!! Quite frankly, it would appear this same marketing mindset from the GM side has spilled over into the Vintage Ford parts side of your company. Should we not be concerned? .

.youy are quite correct

you are 110% correct, but in most businesses nowadays, isn't what you write about the sign of the times? everyone from supermarkets to the post office to banks to car parts stores, on and on, tries to get by with fewer employees than they should have. I don't remember such a situation back in the '50s and '60s.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #73
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
you are 110% correct, but in most businesses nowadays, isn't what you write about the sign of the times? everyone from supermarkets to the post office to banks to car parts stores, on and on, tries to get by with fewer employees than they should have. I don't remember such a situation back in the '50s and '60s.

I agree, ...but selling Model-A parts is typically done to a more conservative crowd that has high ethics and moral standards that John Q Public. Writings that are misleading or deceitful may be accepted as the norm by a more liberalistic crowd, I am not so sure the acceptance is so widespread by the typical Model-A owner.

Fewer employees are one thing and I am sure there are many companies that choose to adopt that strategy however it can play against a company too. In the case of the big box store in my town, if both competing stores choose to hire unknowledgeable employees about their products, I am kinda stuck and both are back on an even keel. In the case of Model-A parts sales, most would agree that Macs/Ecklers is not very high on the list of knowledgeable/service-oriented dealers. Therefore many would agree they need to look for ways to bring up their ratings, ...and IMHO they should start by adding folks that know what they are talking about. When that happens, they may very well realize how inferior many of their parts are and choose to raise their standards.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #74
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
i don't suppose it will take long for some grumpy old farts to drive off what could be a good source here on the barn.
D i t t o !
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #75
fredski

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
One thing I admire about the Model A Ford aftermarket parts customers is, they won't take 'Close-to-original' as gospel. It had better be pretty darn good or else

These guys will hold your feet to the fire you'd better be able to deliver or else.Evidently Corvette people will accept less than ideal parts
corvette people will eccept less than ideal parts.

not so .

do you own a corvette????
\
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #76
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski View Post
corvette people will eccept less than ideal parts.

not so .

do you own a corvette????
\
+2
Had my 66 vette 45 years best car I ever owned. Over 200,000 miles engine has never been overhauled. I would not except poor parts for it or my Model A,s or my 56 chev or any other car I own.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #77
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I agree, ...but selling Model-A parts is typically done to a more conservative crowd that has high ethics and moral standards that John Q Public. Writings that are misleading or deceitful may be accepted as the norm by a more liberalistic crowd, I am not so sure the acceptance is so widespread by the typical Model-A owner.

Fewer employees are one thing and I am sure there are many companies that choose to adopt that strategy however it can play against a company too. In the case of the big box store in my town, if both competing stores choose to hire unknowledgeable employees about their products, I am kinda stuck and both are back on an even keel. In the case of Model-A parts sales, most would agree that Macs/Ecklers is not very high on the list of knowledgeable/service-oriented dealers. Therefore many would agree they need to look for ways to bring up their ratings, ...and IMHO they should start by adding folks that know what they are talking about. When that happens, they may very well realize how inferior many of their parts are and choose to raise their standards.
Sorry to break stereotype, but I am one of the most liberal guys you'll ever meet, and yet somehow I manage to have high ethics and moral standards, and a very critical eye for quality. Don't believe everything you think!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:35 AM   #78
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Sorry to break stereotype, but I am one of the most liberal guys you'll ever meet, and yet somehow I manage to have high ethics and moral standards, and a very critical eye for quality. Don't believe everything you think!
Ray, with all due respect to your literalistic view, define the word " may " please!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #79
V8COOPMAN

Copied and pasted below is an interesting post over on the Model A Forum from TWO YEARS AGO! Obviously, not a new problem. How long does it generally take for improvements to begin taking effect? DD

" 01-22-2013, 12:57 PM #17 Darlene

Re: Where is your allegiance?
Below is a response from Matt Jordan, CEO of Eckler Industries;
posted by Darlene Waldmiller, Marketing Manager at MAC’s:

We appreciate the candid feedback from everyone. This helps us prioritize and focus our efforts at making MAC’s a better company. We’re working hard to put into place new systems and procedures that will speed up shipping and improve service levels. While I can’t promise that the transition will be without snags or hitches, I can promise that we are focused on driving improvement. I hope that those who are satisfied with MAC’s performance will find their service much better, and those that have not had a good experience will give us the opportunity to show what we can do over the coming months.

Thank you again for your honest feedback – we sincerely hope to use this to make for a better customer experience.

Regards,

Matt D. Jordan
CEO, Eckler Industries, Inc.

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #80
Fred K-OR

Where is this going------again????????
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote