Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
kyleskott

Default New at this. 1930 Model A 3 window Murray

Hi everyone. Looking to get into some real classics. Wanted an opinion on what's the pricing on a 1930 Model A Murray. I was told good running condition and body/interior looks clean.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/145769...97140597165717
Thanks for any help!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170912_142214.jpg (15.0 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by kyleskott; 09-12-2017 at 01:26 PM.
kyleskott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
Anteek29

Default Re: New at this. 1930 Model A 3 window Murray

Best to take a look accompanied by a knowledgeable Model A owner. "Good running condition" can cover a spectrum of faults.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
slammin

I'm not able to open the facebook link you posted.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
kyleskott

Sorry, the link won't work because its a closed group. I posted a screenshot. Thank you!!!
Old 09-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
barnstuf

Do the doors sag when opened? Fordor sedans have a wood based body and if the wood is bad you have a major problem. I can only get your small pictures and they aRe not large enough to really view the car.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #6
700rpm

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 09-17-2017 at 09:32 AM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
JDupuis

That $10,500 asking price is in the ball park. He's not overpriced from what the pictures reveal. Good Luck with your decision.
And Welcome to the barn! Jeff
Old 09-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
kyleskott

Hope these help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1505265753716.jpg (53.5 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1505265757486.jpg (52.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1505265760680.jpg (60.8 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1505265766418.jpg (42.6 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1505265783474.jpg (61.9 KB, 182 views)
Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
kyleskott

I posted some better pics. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you for taking the time
Old 09-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #10
kyleskott

Pics posted
Old 09-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #11
redmodelt

Why would anyone selling a car post it in a closed group? Interesting front seat adjuster and color.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:10 AM   #12
kyleskott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
That $10,500 asking price is in the ball park. He's not overpriced from what the pictures reveal. Good Luck with your decision.
And Welcome to the barn! Jeff
I was told there is some rot on front quarter panel and a rust spot on one of the fenders. With that knowledge, is the price still in the ballpark? I can see the rust spot on the back fender- doesn't look like a big deal. Just worried about the rot, even though the pics look clean. Thinking about offering $8k and going from there if it runs well. Any idea how much to restore a rotten quarter panel? Thank you again for the input
Old 09-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #13
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Most folks in the A hobby are DIY so best ask some local body shops about cost to repair rust if you are not able to work on it . 8K is a realistic offer IMHO but in reality the market determines the value. Both ebay and the MAFCA (classified ads) can provide you what folks are asking.

BTW its a wonderful hobby-good luck.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #14
Kevin in NJ

Some thoughts on value.

Assuming you just want a fun reliable to drive play toy and not a points show car.

WOOD. It is a wood frame as you have been warned. Open the doors and see if they are loose. Pull up the carpets and look at the condition of the sills. Go under the car and look at the condition of the sills. The sills are the base frame of the body and what you can easily see.

Mechanicals. Ask questions about who did what. If they show you receipts that the engine was built by a known good engine builder then major plus. If not then assume you will need to get the engine rebuilt at some point. Take the JS with you and if a lot of the car is wrong then assume they did not pay much attention to details in building the car. Is there rust dust coming from the springs, perches or other bolted areas. That indicates stuff the needs to come apart and be fixed.
Look at the front brake levers are they angled forward some (15 degrees)? If it is vertical then you know something is not right.
How is the front axle. Can you see about 1/2 of it when you look from the front. If you can not see the axle and the shackles are pushed way out then you know the spring is bad.
Does it have shocks? Do the shocks actually work?

Driving...
How does it drive. It should feel comfortable to drive at 55 or above. When you stop on the brakes at speed it should stop confidently. Remember it is drum brakes and will take more effort then the 2 toes your modern disk brake car takes.
If the car does not have shocks and does not feel like it is going to jump off the road once you get above 25 MPH then you know the suspension needs to be rebuilt.
How bad does it vibrate. It should not vibrate a lot.
Can you talk to another person in the car while driving. Do not laugh. I know of a professionally rebuilt car that was so loud you could not converse. They professional put used pitted bearings in the tranny.
If it is only a 45 MPH car then you know it needs around $10,000 worth of work to become a safe reliable car. ($6000+ for the engine, a few thousand for brakes plus what ever else you find on the way).

Some people may differ on my fact based comments. They have a right to their opinions. I grew up with A's and they were always run 55+ with stock drive lines.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #15
WHN

Your pictures don't really show very much. What does the engine look like? Undercarriage and front end? Shocks, brakes, and springs? Steering play, wiring, tires, glass, and radiator? Etc.

If I were looking for a four door, the price you have mentioned and what pictures you have provided would have me looking closer. However, I would think that given the price, there are some issues that need to be addressed with this car. Try to find out what they could be.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #16
JDupuis

Good Morning Kylescott, even with some rot, paint blemishes etc.... The car is complete.
Hopefully it is an excellent runner. How long has the current owner owned this car?
The car appears from the pictures to be in reasonably good shape. That being stated, it is a Fordor, making it a little more rare, and desirable, if you travel with friends/family.
You first offer is reasonable and fair. Do not insult to current owner with really lowball offers.
All this being said. Have you ever driven an old car?
These old cars take a certain skill to drive. Alot of patience is in order. They do not handle the same as modern cars from the 50's.
As to the cost of repairing the paint/rust. Many of us have resolved ourselves to enjoying our cars age spots/blemishes. Patina is in style!
Just make sure its a good driver.
Good Luck ! Jeff
Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #17
kyleskott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
Good Morning Kylescott, even with some rot, paint blemishes etc.... The car is complete.
Hopefully it is an excellent runner. How long has the current owner owned this car?
The car appears from the pictures to be in reasonably good shape. That being stated, it is a Fordor, making it a little more rare, and desirable, if you travel with friends/family.
You first offer is reasonable and fair. Do not insult to current owner with really lowball offers.
All this being said. Have you ever driven an old car?
These old cars take a certain skill to drive. Alot of patience is in order. They do not handle the same as modern cars from the 50's.
As to the cost of repairing the paint/rust. Many of us have resolved ourselves to enjoying our cars age spots/blemishes. Patina is in style!
Just make sure its a good driver.
Good Luck ! Jeff
Thank you!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #18
kyleskott

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Your pictures don't really show very much. What does the engine look like? Undercarriage and front end? Shocks, brakes, and springs? Steering play, wiring, tires, glass, and radiator? Etc.

If I were looking for a four door, the price you have mentioned and what pictures you have provided would have me looking closer. However, I would think that given the price, there are some issues that need to be addressed with this car. Try to find out what they could be.
Thank you!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #19
kyleskott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
Most folks in the A hobby are DIY so best ask some local body shops about cost to repair rust if you are not able to work on it . 8K is a realistic offer IMHO but in reality the market determines the value. Both ebay and the MAFCA (classified ads) can provide you what folks are asking.

BTW its a wonderful hobby-good luck.
Thank you!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #20
kyleskott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Some thoughts on value.

Assuming you just want a fun reliable to drive play toy and not a points show car.

WOOD. It is a wood frame as you have been warned. Open the doors and see if they are loose. Pull up the carpets and look at the condition of the sills. Go under the car and look at the condition of the sills. The sills are the base frame of the body and what you can easily see.

Mechanicals. Ask questions about who did what. If they show you receipts that the engine was built by a known good engine builder then major plus. If not then assume you will need to get the engine rebuilt at some point. Take the JS with you and if a lot of the car is wrong then assume they did not pay much attention to details in building the car. Is there rust dust coming from the springs, perches or other bolted areas. That indicates stuff the needs to come apart and be fixed.
Look at the front brake levers are they angled forward some (15 degrees)? If it is vertical then you know something is not right.
How is the front axle. Can you see about 1/2 of it when you look from the front. If you can not see the axle and the shackles are pushed way out then you know the spring is bad.
Does it have shocks? Do the shocks actually work?

Driving...
How does it drive. It should feel comfortable to drive at 55 or above. When you stop on the brakes at speed it should stop confidently. Remember it is drum brakes and will take more effort then the 2 toes your modern disk brake car takes.
If the car does not have shocks and does not feel like it is going to jump off the road once you get above 25 MPH then you know the suspension needs to be rebuilt.
How bad does it vibrate. It should not vibrate a lot.
Can you talk to another person in the car while driving. Do not laugh. I know of a professionally rebuilt car that was so loud you could not converse. They professional put used pitted bearings in the tranny.
If it is only a 45 MPH car then you know it needs around $10,000 worth of work to become a safe reliable car. ($6000+ for the engine, a few thousand for brakes plus what ever else you find on the way).

Some people may differ on my fact based comments. They have a right to their opinions. I grew up with A's and they were always run 55+ with stock drive lines.
Thank you!!! That is alot of valuable info!!! I know about sagging doors and boards, but your other points will help me a great deal.