Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Fillinjc

Default Clutch Disc

Hi,

Installing a lightened flywheel and v8 pressure plate on my 1930 coupe. My clutch disc is what I gather to be an old style (pictured). Thickness is .335". Is there a advantage to getting a new clutch disc with springs?

Thanks.
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.0 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by Fillinjc; 04-30-2016 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Clarification
Fillinjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Clutch Disc

ALWAYS put a NEW disc. Would you put on NEW tires with OLD tubes? The disc with SPRINGS, is typically SMOOTHER on take off.
Bill W.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

With the low hp of the A I do not think you would feel the difference between the spring center and the solid type. Whatever you do just put in a new one with your rebuild, a relined solid type or a new one with spring center. Rod
Old 04-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
ALWAYS put a NEW disc. Would you put on NEW tires with OLD tubes? The disc with SPRINGS, is typically SMOOTHER on take off.
Bill W.
I do, why not. The old ones are better than the ones made in China.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
Dollar Bill

As already stated, replace the disk while you have it apart. The spring loaded clutch disk is easier on the drive train.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Fillinjc

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the replies.

Jerry
Old 04-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillinjc View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Jerry
Hey Jerry,
If I were to replace the pictured disk with a new different style one (with springs)..just be aware that they are not all alike.
I buy the disk with springs that are 'captured' somewhat at their edges...front and back. The captured springs will weaken over time (like they ALL do, maybe long time, depending on how used). The springs WILL fall out of non captured disk types.
Of course, there is ONE exception to the spring thing problem, and that exception is the disk that you picture.
Lastly, a well known hot rodder/racer member here, will tell you/us rightly that 'if you have no springs, they cannot cause problem'..brilliant, eh .

Same guru says that 'if you need more clearance up front between pressure plate and flywheel (due to alteration clearances change), then the pictured disk will help as it is THINNER' that spring types. He is a sharp guy , indeed, BUT, what do I know

Last edited by hardtimes; 04-30-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: .......
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Rowdy
BANNED

I forgot to get back to you on the non spring clutch disc. Beem busting my butt getting all of my parts out of the buildings at the farm. Will send a PM and get things going early next week. Am quickly running out of room and the delivery is outside and in the attic again. Will be listing a bunch on Ebay next week as most on Fordbarn seem to want it all for free. Yes I have a few parts to get back back to people when I stumble onto the parts they want. Done advertizing here as of today as it is GO TIME. Rod
Old 04-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
Tom Endy

If you decide to replace the clutch disk with a new one, be careful which supplier you purchase it from. Years ago the replacement disks had little flanges around each spring on both side of the disk to prevent them from becoming dislodged.

Some time later all the suppliers began carrying a disk that did not have the flanged retainers and there was a rash of clutch failures when a spring dislodged and jammed the clutch.

A few years ago Bratton's began carrying a better quality disk that have the spring retainers. Since then other suppliers, such as Snyder, also began carrying the better disk. Most of the better suppliers have now confirmed, but I suspect some of the poor quality disks are still around in some suppliers inventory.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #10
Fillinjc

Ok, now I have to ask. What would the issue be with reusing my old disc? I think I understand spring loaded is easier on drive train but is my original not healthy enough to reuse?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 04-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Ok, now I have to ask. What would the issue be with reusing my old disc? I think I understand spring loaded is easier on drive train but is my original not healthy enough to reuse?

Thanks,
Jerry
Hey Jerry,
Hard for me to make affirmative statement..use/not use, from a picture .
But, from what my old CVS (99cent) glasses tell me, you appear to have some good depth down to the rivits ? If that is so, and it is NOT oil/grease contaminated OR heat cracks....I'd just clean the friction material and scuff it lightly and use it.
I kind of like a disk without springs. However, engineers among us can explain what reasons, if any, to change styles from what you have ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #12
1937pickup

If you keep the original disc send it to Fort Wayne clutch and have it relined. Great people great work and you know you have a Henry original.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:

Thanks,
Jerry
I reuse good parts, but when I bought my 29 Tudor it had very bad clutch chatter, and I didn't want to do the job twice, so I gave it the works.

I dialed in the flywheel housing, sanded the flywheel with an electric 1/4 sheet palm sander, installed a new disc I found at a swap meet, and installed a nice looking pressure plate I found at a swap meet. It's smooth as can be now.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #14
Fillinjc

Thanks all. Changed my mind several times today. My education continues. Now I am going to play it safe and go with Brattons disc. I see the spring retainers in their pic. I will put the original in my growing pile of used parts.

Jerry
Old 04-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks all. Changed my mind several times today. My education continues. Now I am going to play it safe and go with Brattons disc. I see the spring retainers in their pic. I will put the original in my growing pile of used parts.

Jerry
Excellent choice"""".it was actually a no brainer
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

If a person had a NEW disc, with NO spring retainer flanges, would a husky dab of silicone adhesive @ each spring end hold them in????
Bill Cheep