Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Kentf1003

Default 40 pickup seat

Is there a later model bench seat that can be modified to fit in the 1940 Ford pickup (without removing the metal riser platform)? Thanks.
Kentf1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: 40 pickup seat

Why?? Just upholster it as you will.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Scott H

Might try a Ford Ranger seat if you want something modern
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Kentf1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Why?? Just upholster it as you will.
Original spring setup is rusty. In addition to outer frame, some springs would have to be replaced. Yes, I would prefer to use original. Just the replacement spring setup from MACs is $500 or more plus shipping. I may tackle the reconstruction of mine after all. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
TomT/Williamsburg

Yes - but probably not good for a stock restoration.

I've used the 3rd seat out of a Chevy Suburban from 92-98 with great success. It folds down for access behind and, if you mount it as it is mounted in a Suburban, it will also tilt up towards the steering wheel leaving you easy access to underneath. An 86 Mazda MPV 3rd seat is also a near perfect fit (I've got that for a 40 p-up I'm building now adn I've matched the leather upholstery with some really nice vinyl I'll use for the rest of the interior).

Mount the seat using the top back portion of the seat just under the rear support, underneath the rear window, and set it up against the back wall of the cab, making your seat mounts about 1/2" higher in the front than in the back (for good thigh support).

I've posted a pic of a truck I did awhile back as a reference. Upholster it to choice or, if it's clean, match material to your seat and do your own interior as I did.

If interested in more pics, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a link to some additional ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 293823891.jpg (70.8 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg 293823841.jpg (69.5 KB, 251 views)
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Kentf1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Yes - but probably not good for a stock restoration.

I've used the 3rd seat out of a Chevy Suburban from 92-98 with great success. It folds down for access behind and, if you mount it as it is mounted in a Suburban, it will also tilt up towards the steering wheel leaving you easy access to underneath. An 86 Mazda MPV 3rd seat is also a near perfect fit (I've got that for a 40 p-up I'm building now adn I've matched the leather upholstery with some really nice vinyl I'll use for the rest of the interior).

Mount the seat using the top back portion of the seat just under the rear support, underneath the rear window, and set it up against the back wall of the cab, making your seat mounts about 1/2" higher in the front than in the back (for good thigh support).

I've posted a pic of a truck I did awhile back as a reference. Upholster it to choice or, if it's clean, match material to your seat and do your own interior as I did.

If interested in more pics, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a link to some additional ones.
Very informative Tom. You've given me something to consider. Now to see if I can find one of those animals. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Seth Swoboda

See if you can find a good original set of springs on the wanted ads here on the barn. I have found many reasonably priced parts here on fordbarn.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentf1003 View Post
Very informative Tom. You've given me something to consider. Now to see if I can find one of those animals. Thanks.
Not for nothing but I was never too impressed with the comfort of a stock 40 p-up seat - but if you are staying stock, ya gotta have it.

Check your local craigslist ads - mine presently has 4-5 listed. If you are lucky, you can also get the balance of the seat belt parts for the retractors where they can usually install/reside in the cavity behind the rear door post and the back of the cab ....

I've also hear of S10 bench seats being used but I've not installed one myself.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
flathead 53

Smile Re: 40 pickup seat

A middle seat from a dodge caravan is the exact width ,I used one in a model A pick-up ,it was a little wide but would be right for a 40.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Scott H

If you want to rebuild your original springs you can get new coils, burlap, foam, etc from this place:
http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/CCW.html

I'm thinking of rebuilding mine, and it looks like I would need to order a variety of 4" and 6" springs to duplicate the original.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Kentf1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
If you want to rebuild your original springs you can get new coils, burlap, foam, etc from this place:
http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/CCW.html

I'm thinking of rebuilding mine, and it looks like I would need to order a variety of 4" and 6" springs to duplicate the original.

That's a good site for materials. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
Cas446

I'm thinking of changing mine. I have back issues and after driving my 40 truck from south of Houston to Mena Arkansas to a show my back was killing me. The seat back is to straight up like 90 degrees from the seat. So this all good info.
Cas446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:22 PM   #13
TomT/Williamsburg

The stock 40 seat gives no back or thigh support. Like I mentioned in my previous Post, using the 3rd seat, putting the top of the seat up against the back wall of the cab just under the horizontal support bar, and angling it up 7.25" in the front, 7" in back - you get the thigh support and a good fit for comfort. Regardless of what later seat you use, I tested mine in about 10 different ways before getting it right for me. And btw, don't be afraid to get a seat that is too wide - they are very easily narrowed.

Good luck ...
Old 11-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #14
TJ

I used the third seat from a Windstar van. My friend built a platform inside the original riser and hinged the platform at the front. The platform is anchored at the back with two metal sleeves that drop into grooves and then pinned with regular anchor pins from the local hardware store. The seat back tips forward and I can reach back and pull the pins and tip up the entire assembly. I pulled the seat tracks off the seat and it bolts directly to the platform. I put the seat all the way back against the cab when I bolted it down to get plenty of leg room and to lower the seat as much as possible. The seat cost me $50 at the Pick-N-Pull and it had excellent upholstery on it.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #15
TomT/Williamsburg

Hey, TJ - what years of the Windsir? Sounds like a great option ....
Old 11-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #16
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Hey, TJ - what years of the Windsir? Sounds like a great option ....
Tom, I do not recall the year. I do know it did not have head rests on the seat. I'd have to guess it was mid to late 90's. I'll see if I can pin it down closer.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #17
GB SISSON

I have a 3rd row seat from an 88 suburban in my '47 2 ton. Same cab as yours. There are a pair of hooks on the seat frame that hook onto the seat base perfectly. Then I made a couple of short straps that hold the back of the seat down. This seat is more 'squarish' and tan vinyl with simple pleats. It looks much like a seat from an old truck. Just another option when you cruise the pic n pull or craigslist.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:16 AM   #18
dwick01

Very nice truck Tom!
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #19
TJ

Thank you. It's a fun driver.
TomT, in my research on the year of the Windstar seat it's definitely prior to the 2000 year. That's as close as I can get. You can remove the head rests on the later seats, but the outer edges of the seat dip down to accommodate the head rests. I didn't like that look.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #20
russcc

If you are shooting for original or a slightly modified original version, I would call Chris in the spring shop at Snyders. They have built a number of modified seat springs for me, and sell all the parts like the spring coils. Although they specialize in T'S & A's, they have later stuff also. Nice folks to work with.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote