Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2019, 02:48 AM   #21
Karl

Default Re: 1935 Ford Coupe Headlights 6 Volt Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Curious... Is it illegal to deviate from factory in NZ?

Yes, that is correct, under no circumstances are LED headlite bulbs allowed to be fitted unless the vehicle came from the factory so equipped.
Other vehicle mods, eg lowered suspension, engine/trans/diff transplants etc need to be certified [$$$], and a compliance cert affixed to vehicle. Bureaucracy run amok...
For example, with our old Fords, converting a mech braked Ford to later hydraulics, or installing a dropped axle would fall into these categories.
However, as I tend to be somewhat non-conformist, I like to modify my 35 as I please, without going through any of that hoo haa. I looks stock, and in all honesty, they don't know what they're looking at. Should I ever get pinged for LED headlights, it's simple enough to refit the current halogens I'm running at the side of the road. Easiest car ever to change headlite bulbs in. Doubt I'll get pulled over though....

Brian without leading me astray Will the LED Bulbs you brought fit my 34 and if so what is the model number of the bulbs and where did you get them? Thanks Karl
Old 01-03-2019, 02:59 AM   #22
Brian

Karl, look at post #15 on this thread. I have only just ordered them, I'll let you know how they go.
35 head light bulbs have what is known as American Pre Focus [APF] base. I don't know if 34's run that particular style?
Anyway, the important thing when selecting light bulbs other than original tungsten type, is that the focal length matches the original.Bob Drake sold some halogen replacement bulb/reflector sets, which, by all accounts were wrong in that respect; rather than a concentrated beam the light was dispersed from the reflector all wrong.
Years ago on a trip in my 35 one night, I went over a big bump in the road, and one entire headlight rim and lens dislodged and shattered on the road. The reflector and bulb remained in place in the bucket.The resulting beam was a dead straight beam, which indicates that the light bulb filament was located in exact centre of the parabolic reflector. Shone like a searchlight, a concentrated circle of light shining ahead, with out the prisms in the lens to spread it.
So....this is an easy way to check whether any replacement bulbs, LED or halogen, have correct designed focal length, simply fit them, and without refitting the lens, turn lights on and see how the beam looks.
For the past twenty odd years, I've been running halogen bulbs with correct APF base; these fit directly into the original reflectors. These LED's I've got coming, I'll check their focal length too. If the light disperses in any pattern other than a nice concentrated parallel beam [without lens in place], irrespective of brightness of bulb, you'll have crap lights.

Last edited by Brian; 01-03-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #23
Terry,OH

Karl: The 33-34 replacement headlight bulb is #1000 uses BA15d base

The 1935-39 uses the #2330 headlight uses the APF base

They will not interchange. I have sent the Co in England an email to see if they sell a LED with BA15d base 6V, + ground.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #24
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

This is a alternative source
,You just need to Sign-In to Aliexpress to create an order or it may be possible to create a one off order.
As you can see there currently US$16.09 and the shipping is free.
If you want them faster there may be a shipping charge but normal free delivery is about 21 days.

Most important though is you must request POSITIVE EARTH lamps in the comments to the supplier as there default is negative earth.

If you need more information about the lamps click the text below the lamp when in the AliExpress screen and it will give you the lamp dimensions etc.

VTNZ helped set them up on the light machine and they were happy with them at the time but apparently original fit bulbs are now required, but given that there 10 times brighter than the originals they just turn a blind eye and pass them. Tell them there new type bulbs that should do it if they ask questions.
They said the pattern was a rectangular pattern like on an old motor bike and it was up and down for high and low beams. It didn’t dip to the left like modern lamps but I don’t think the original lamps do either.

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 01-03-2019 at 05:30 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #25
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Karl:

They will not interchange. I have sent the Co in England an email to see if they sell a LED with BA15d base 6V, + ground.

Let us know what their response is.

Are these LED Bulbs "dual filament" - dual LED for both low and high beams???

Ooops! After a little perusing of their site I see that they refer to the replacement of dual filament/twin filament bulbs as "Double Dippers"....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 01-03-2019 at 04:37 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #26
Terry,OH

Yes they offer the BA15d base light 6V bulb for the 33-34 Ford in both grounding configurations, they offer a small discount for pairs at 55.GBP or $69.50 US shipping would be extra. Both beams in the bulb are LED and they are pre-aimed for proper spread and pattern. Their web site says to make sure your reflectors are in good condition, which is a good idea what ever bulb you use.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #27
Brian

Thanks Ted...that's about half of what I paid. lol
Old 01-03-2019, 10:40 PM   #28
Ken/Alabama

I sent my reflectors to Uvira Inc in Oregon. They do optical reflective coatings. Costs is way less than silver and way more durable. The reflectivity is comparable to silver. Now my headlights in my 39 Zephyr are nice and bright !
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #29
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
I sent my reflectors to Uvira Inc in Oregon. They do optical reflective coatings. Costs is way less than silver and way more durable. The reflectivity is comparable to silver. Now my headlights in my 39 Zephyr are nice and bright !

Thanks Ken I have reproduction Uvira coated reflectors in my Model A I brought them from one of the parts houses -They are fantastic I didn't realise you could get your own done -Karl
Old 01-03-2019, 11:18 PM   #30
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Thanks Ted...that's about half of what I paid. lol

Me to! I ordered the correct bulbs for my 34 last night from the UK -Karl
Old 01-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #31
supereal

As I have mentioned over the years, halogen headlights in a 6 volt system usually will be less bright that the stock lights. This is due to loss in the old light and dimmer switches, wire size, and several "bullet" connectors in the circuit. After running a clip line between the battery and the light itself and seeing much brighter light, I made up a relay board using two 6 volt starter solenoids connected between the original sockets and the battery. The solenoids are operated by the original connections near the headlights. By using bullet connectors, the relay panel can be quickly removed for judging, etc. My '47 halogen lights are now nearly as bright a modern cars making night driving much safer,
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #32
whizzernick

I went to the web site and dont understand what bulb to use on my 33-34 fords.
is 35 same as 33-34 ?
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #33
petehoovie

Here's an outfit in Higley, Arizona > http://www.discountleds.com/classicautobulbs.com/

This is their offering for LED Bulbs for 1934 Ford's > http://www.classicautobulbs.com/auto...6x-cree-6v.htm

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 01-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #34
Terry,OH

Nick: For 33-34 use their BA15d bulb.

The 33-34 is different than the 35-39
Old 01-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #35
petehoovie

Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #36
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jembow View Post
Forget halogens or original bulbs. I am sold on LEDs. My VW camper lights were awful even with new units. Original units were 1500 lumens, replacement LEDs are 3000 lumens and light up the world.
I have found LEDs which fit straight in the original holders on my 35 coupe . Turned the dynamo output right down 'cos the ammeter barely twitches when I turn the lights on. Much better than the original bulbs but now I need to get the reflectors resilvered.
Some feedback On LEDs in my 1934 Ford. I got the bulbs from Vintage dynamo and regulator as I believe you do. In this country LEDs are illegal when used with original reflectors -The stated reason being that the bulb might not be situated at the point of focus of the original reflector. Anyway who would know so I elected to try some LED bulbs

On installation I was pleased with the amount of light they generated. However I have had the lights checked on a machine and sure enough despite lots of light they don't met the legal standard in this country. The reason is there is heaps of light pushed out but it is not focused on the road ahead -Most shinning above the road or right in front of the car. I was dazzling oncoming drivers and actually visability of the road ahead was less . They are indeed "lighting up the world" just not the road ! Obviously because the diodes are not at the reflector focus point on my car -It may be different for different years and reflector shapes - Use the bulbs by all means but for safety sake please get them checked that they are doing what they are claimed to do in your car -Karl

Last edited by Karl; 02-12-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote