Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Mafca national/regional meets

A friend had several people at the Sparks national tell him that meets are too expensive, and they won’t be going to any more. I’m curious what your thoughts are. Is this just natural attrition or a trend. TIA
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Mafca national/regional meets

I didn't think this one was out of line money wise any more than any other. But the again if you are on a fixed income I can see their argument. I think they did a very good job all thing considered. For Texas I will have to fly in and rent a car as I won't be able to drive.

Mike
Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 AM   #3
P.S.

Chuck,

It all depends. If you are the high participation type, then it is a bargain. If you are the type who prefers to just hang out at hospitality and talk to people, then it is too expensive.

There are some who make it a point to participate in all events, and those people are kept busy and get a lot for their money. They also have to prepare their Model A, their era fashion costumes, their Hubley, etc.

Sounds like the people from whom your friend heard are not that type of Model A enthusiast.

As a newly elected member of the NCRG board who ran the MAFCA national convention last month, I invite your friend to contact me and share contact info of those who complained to him/her to find out:

A- If they really exist
B- If they have suggestions for improvement
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:43 AM   #4
quickchange

Sparks was great, food was good, hotel charge was great , & we had to fly in from NZ ,Only have two complaints, No licence plate ?? & clashed with the MARC meet so overseas entrants could not do both, Been assured that won,t happen again & was not MAFCA,s fault, They put on a great show , not over priced , Hats off to them well done,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:54 AM   #5
SAJ

I agree with Quickchange. The hotel charge was way less than any other Holiday Inn we stayed in during the trip to the USA. The rooms were great. We loved the bus tours and the self guided tour in an A400 driven by Gary Floyd and his rwo tiny canine companions was a bonus. It was a great venue and worth every penny, since we participated in everything we could do.
The flights to US and the rental car were by far the most expensive part.
We were treated like royalty by all involved, and each MAFCA national we attend it just gets better as we are befriended by more and more members. You get back what you try to give plus interest.
For some this may not happen, perhaps because of being reserved, or hanging back or just being rather shy. To them the returns may not seem worth the expense, but to us the payback in terms of fellowship, entertainment and enjoyment of a common bond in old cars makes it very worthwhile.
Well done MAFCA.
SAJ back in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
whidbeyA

Excellent question Chuck. I have expressed my thoughts on this to the NW regional group. As a young family we have attended the NW regionals since 2005 with few exceptions. This National in Reno was a little expensive as far as the welcome dinner and any bus tours you chose to take. But the saving grace was that the rooms were only $69 a night. the total cost for my family was around $1200.
Puyallup a few years ago was WAY more and for what that week cost I could have flown my family to Hawaii for a week.
I like what the Mackinsy A's did a few years ago in Cottage Grove. They had everything on site and did a county fair type meet. It was fun for a whole family and inexpensive.

Just my thoughts, Keith Cavender
whidbeyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Tacoma Bob

Something to add to the mix. Just got our latest Restorer. Was a bit dismayed at the meet suggestions hinting that "Regionals" as we have known them maybe changing. The "suggested" cities for future events left out any Pacific Northwest Cities.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #8
Gil Sissons

I realize costing is different for each of us.
Frankly...the room rates were a real deal. Cannot stay at Motel $6 for near this price. The welcome event cost was about $35 each. Meal was a huge pasta and buffet. Pile it high if you were hungry.
Go to a lecture on the subject of your choice...cost was $5. If that was too steep for someones budget....I honestly feel for those folk.
For dinner in the hotel...that buffet with fresh carved meat and a unlimited desert and priced at $16...was a true deal.
Nothing in life is free...and that includes pulling together a event like this.
MAFAC looking for folk to pull together a upcoming Convention...
If someone knows how...and can shave the prices...go to it.
Our hats off to those who can do it.
Gil NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
Something to add to the mix. Just got our latest Restorer. Was a bit dismayed at the meet suggestions hinting that "Regionals" as we have known them maybe changing. The "suggested" cities for future events left out any Pacific Northwest Cities.
If you are referring to the list of locations in the article on the top of page 29, it says nothing about "regionals". The Board is simply asking members if they have a preference, among the many places listed, for where they'd like to see a National Convention held in the future (2022 and beyond). National Convention. And soliciting interested parties that might want to help host a National Convention at any of those locations, or any other location that they might propose. It's a different approach to planning the location for a Convention.

There is nothing there that is intended to say anything about Regional Meets. They will carry on as the Regions wish.

It's hard to write for 100% clarity. Sorry if there was some confusion or misunderstanding. If you are referring to another article/page, let me know.

Thanks.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #10
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
If you are referring to the list of locations in the article on the top of page 29, it says nothing about "regionals". The Board is simply asking members if they have a preference, among the many places listed, for where they'd like to see a National Convention held in the future (2022 and beyond). National Convention. And soliciting interested parties that might want to help host a National Convention at any of those locations, or any other location that they might propose. It's a different approach to planning the location for a Convention.

There is nothing there that is intended to say anything about Regional Meets. They will carry on as the Regions wish.

It's hard to write for 100% clarity. Sorry if there was some confusion or misunderstanding. If you are referring to another article/page, let me know.

Thanks.
Jim I understand the intent. My point is there seems to be a shift in thinking regarding both National and Regionals too. Our club The Gallopin Gerties hosted the 2014 National. They are a tremendous amount of work regardless if the event is National or Regional. I realize too that suggestions are being asked for. The article appears slanted to major population centers. Just my 2-bits worth.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
TerryO

One thought is in the sparsely populated areas it is hard to find hotels to house the number of participants the national meets draw. An example is the W. V. national tour. the only hotels available are quite a distance from the host hotel. I probably won't get to go if someone doesn't cancel out in a closer hotel.
TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
JohnLaVoy

The average cost of a weeks vacation is roughly $1,200 per person per week. Did the meet exceed that? It appears MAFCA is looking for people to step up and create groups to find a location and do a meet. That looks like a way for people to put their stamp on the convention.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
asapguy

How could anyone think it was expensive especially the price of the room at $80 a night. We had a huge corner room on the 23rd floor of the new wing. Or hotel bill for 7 nights was around $650 which included $10 room tax. It was one of the nicest hotel rooms we've ever stayed in. The food at the hotel was cheap, prime rib or T-bone steak dinner with wine was $14, 20" pizza before 6PM $10. Because of the accident I was in last Nov. we rode with friends & didn't bring a Model A. We still had a great time. Plus I forgot to mention that the night of the Awards Banquet the hotel had a bar set up & offered free wine, beer & drinks. When's the last time you've seen that??

Last edited by asapguy; 07-12-2018 at 11:39 AM.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

It's hard for us Ami's to gripe about the cost of attending a National Meet, when we have members coming in from New Zealand That trip alone has gotta be pretty expensive.

Like about everything else I'm sure liability, insurance, and all the legal precautions are getting to be very very expensive. Somebody has to pay.

So, I blame the US legal system and the armies of lawyers in this country chasing lawsuits for the reason that fun is getting to be more and more costly.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #15
P.S.

I had a very nice conversation with FB user "quickchange" (posted reply #4 above) just before the banquet. He told me that the NZ people spent about $1500 one-way to ship their Model A's to the US for the MAFCA meet.

I have a whole new appreciation for what the NZ (and other non-continental participants) go through to attend one of these meets. My American baseball cap is off to each of you!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #16
quickchange

Not quite right , to ship an A over , $3500 one way , non of us shipped our cars, Our air fares are around $1500 usd return each, , We all had a great time, met lots of great folk as always, 12 from NZ & 3 from aussie , The meets are what you make of them , one does not have to do everything , Congrats to the organisers , I know what it takes to do a National meet, roll on the next one , Thankyou America, & MAFCA>
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #17
P.S.

Thank you for the correction. Yes, of course you are correct. I mixed up the numbers you told me.

It was a sincere pleasure to meet and speak with you. Good luck on the salt flat run!