Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
1930artdeco

Default head gasket spray

I pulled the Rad to get a little work done on her so I don't lose water out of the cap. Since it is out I am thinking of pulling the head to see if I can where oil is coming from in #1. I have one of the 'B' gaskets for the Snyder head, the one with the silicone around everything. In order to prevent it from moving, leaking etc. should I spray either it or the surfaces with Copper spray? Good idea or bad idea or won't work.

Mike
Old 03-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: head gasket spray

Snyder's says do not use a sealant with this gasket
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
Seth Swoboda

On my flathead V8's, I spray the Best Gasket Graphtite head gaskets with copper coat.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
Synchro909

I think those gaskets with the silicone line around them are as useful as flyscreens on a submarine. I used one once and won't be stung that way again. I followed instructions (no sealer) and it didn't last longer than a decent f@rt.
Still, I'd be interested to hear what results people have had when they ignore the instructions and use a sealer.
I use BEST gaskets with either a copper sealer or Hylomar.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
29spcoupe

I used the silicone gasket without sealer as per the instructions with Snyder's high compression head. Over one year and no problems.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
Keith True

I replaced two of those gaskets for other people.Both had blown out the front,under the water pump.On both they had used some kind of spray head gasket sealer.They ignored the instructions,and it looks like that narrow strip of gasket material squirted out the front because the spray acted like a lube on assembly.I really don't get some of the troubles some people have with them.If installed correctly the head almost becomes part of the block.If the head and block are not dead flat to begin with you might have troubles.I have two Brumfield heads riding on them,I'm guessing 10 years but maybe more.I did get a couple of bad ones back when I first bought some.The fire rings were crimped wrong and hung out into the combustion chamber.I always check first,and spotted that before I installed them.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Some Folks' favorite FAILURE EXCUSE, "The Dog ATE the instructions"!!!!---Don't you ever feed that Dog?????
Bill W.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
I pulled the Rad to get a little work done on her so I don't lose water out of the cap. Since it is out I am thinking of pulling the head to see if I can where oil is coming from in #1. I have one of the 'B' gaskets for the Snyder head, the one with the silicone around everything. In order to prevent it from moving, leaking etc. should I spray either it or the surfaces with Copper spray? Good idea or bad idea or won't work.

Mike
Hey Mike,
When all else fails...no...BEFORE anything fails, read the instructions !
When the silicone gasket first appeared, I bought/used one. Seemed like a great idea. Coincidently, there was a thread started on the Barn about this type gasket with questions, i.e.- is it any good; any experiences/use; do you use other sealant, on and on.
My experience with one only trial use of this gasket was not good. Yeah, I followed instructions, yeah my surfaces were flat and yeah this was my umpteen year messing with engines, including Model A.

Well, there was a messy discussion of how you shouldn't 'badmouth' this gasket...blablabla. Ahh, here we are again.

Sometimes guys hesitate to report their results with products used for this reason. Maybe you just have to try it yourself and hopefully your experience will be good ! I do expect/hope that this gasket has evolved over the years. But, as 'they' say, fool me once...shame on you, etc...
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
SeaSlugs

Wait wait wait - back to the actual issue is what would pulling the head allow you to see about your oil consumption? Only 2 ways oil is getting in the cyl is past the rings or valve stems. Pulling the head gains no information about those 2 areas.

Need to do a leak down test and compression test. Then when its running hook a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold wiper connection and that can tell you about the valve guides.

Pulling the head to have a look is like a surgeon just cutting someone open to see if they can find out why someone feels bad instead of doing diagnostic tests like MRI, sonograms, blood tests, etc.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
1930artdeco

Slugs, you are right about that, I also think I have a crack in a water jacket that I am trying to find. But then again I just ordered a new rad cap as the old one would let the water out. So that may be where I was losing the water. Just trying to cover my bases.

Mike
Old 03-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #11
SeaSlugs

leak down test will tell you if youve got a leak from cyl to water jacket.

New radiator cap is always a good start though. Fix the easy obvious stuff first.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #12
Keith True

You will have to leave the head on anyway to pressure test for cracks,no need to take it off before you find out what is wrong.What do you mean by,oil problem in number one?Is number one oil-fouling the plug? Is the compression off on just that cylinder?If a cylinder is misfiring the raw gas will stir up a little carbon and make an oily looking plug.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

"Maybe" just try proven, plain old fashioned BARS-LEAKS & see what happens, after running awhile? It'll seek out & seal those "mysterious" hard to find leaks!
Bill Leakproof
Old 03-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
1930artdeco

For some reason oil is getting pushed past the #1 plug. The last time I pulled the plug it was a light tan with carbon build on the base. I was hoping to look at the valve stems to see if I can see oil or look at the top of the cylinder. But then I realized I can take off the manifold and look at the stems.

The crack or leaking HG is the main reason I wanted the head off. I have used a ceramic sealer and have another bottle so will try that again after I button everything up.

Thanks again,

Mike