Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #21
Flathead Fever

Default Re: First time engine start problem (non start)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Fifty View Post
Seems like I've heard folks suggesting to steer clear of starting fluid. Opinions?
Mike
I used starting fluid, brake clean, carb spray whatever was the first can I got my hands for 30-year's at work. You just don't want to do it on a diesel, they make terrible sounds when you spray starting fluid in them.
The first thing I did/do with a no-start condition is spray a shot of starting fluid in it. Especially on fuel injected cars where you can't see if a carb accelerator pump is squirting fuel. If it starts, it quickly rules out all problems but the fuel system. I don't see anyway a quick shot of starting fluid just to see if it will try to start start could hurt a thing.

Now one time I did have a guy sit in the engine compartment and continually spray starting fluid into a 26,000 lb. F-800, with a 429 gas engine while at the phone company so we could drive it one-hundred-yard's to the shop. That worked pretty good. Was it good for the engine? I don't think it hurt a thing. As long as the engine is not pinging and knocking I don't see how you could hurt it.
Flathead Fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #22
Flathead Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I've never used starting fluid, but I always tip some fresh gas straight down the carb when starting a fresh engine, or one that has sat for a long time. I'd start with the air cleaners off, so I can tip some gas in, bt also so after it is running I can check the balance between the carbs.

Mart.

Even if your coil does take an external resistor the ignition by-pass wire should be on the coil side of the resistor. You have two wires going to the ignition switch side of the resistor. If one of those wires is intended to be a 12V resistor by-pass wire it should be on the coil side of the resistor.

You can check the timing with a timing light while cranking the engine with the key on. I've seen ignition modules and pickups fail. Sometimes they will still make a spark but they will not do it at the correct time.

I use a timing light while cranking an engine to make sure the timing is close. Then I have a real little funnel that fits in the float bowl vent tube on the carbs. I fill the bowl or bowls up with fuel. I make sure the accelerator pump squirts a few shots of gas in there and start it right up. It "usually" immediately starts. I bring the idle up for the camshaft break-in procedure. No messing with cranking the engine a long time to fill up the carb, messing to get the timing set close enough to start. After the camshaft break-in then I do back and set everything where it needs to be.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 02-03-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Flathead Fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #23
tubman

I always fill the float bowls on the carburetors when they are empty (if there is a proper vent). I have one of those plastic dispensers they used to have ketchup in at diners back in fifties and sixties. I thought that maybe the gasoline would have an adverse effect on the plastic over time, but after about 6 years, this one is doing fine. It makes filling the bowls a one hand operation.

Last edited by tubman; 02-03-2019 at 03:27 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #24
Bored&Stroked

Something I always do is pull all the spark plugs and crank the engine over a bit (will turn faster) - makes it easy to check the spark. Also, it helps to get some oil into the pump and to the bearings. Once I've done this a bit, I check and see that I have fuel in the carbs (accel pumps should shoot). I also check with a timing light that the timing is about right. Then, put the plugs back in, give the accel pumps a couple squirts and turn it over to start it. First thing you check is oil pressure (when running) - if that is good, keep the RPMs around 2000 and let the cam break in for a good 10 - 15 minutes. Shut it down, retorque the heads . . . check for leaks, etc..
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #25
r_reed

just a short side story. brother in laws niece has a ch#@y pickup with 250K miles. it would start (cold weather/at college) he mechanic pals put a little too much starter fluid in and blew off the valve covers and timing chain cover.
East Glenville NY
r_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #26
qmdv

Well I just bought a digital multi meter. The resistance in the blue coil jumps between 3.2 and 3.3. So do I still pull the ballast resistor. I now have the ballast resistor in series between the ignition switch and the + terminal on the coil. No other wires.

On starting fluid. A quick shot with the air cleaner still on will work fine and not hurt a thing. The ether will have no problem getting through the filter
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #27
flatjack9

Remove the ballast resistor.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #28
Mart

Just as a sanity check - is there a part number on the coil? it's blue, all right, but is it the correct "Bosch blue coil"?

That aside, just pull the ballast and try again.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #29
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Just as a sanity check - is there a part number on the coil? it's blue, all right, but is it the correct "Bosch blue coil"?

That aside, just pull the ballast and try again.

Mart.
Was under the impression that all blue were correct blue. Never seen Bubba say different
Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #30
revkev6

bosch blue coil is 00012 for a part number. they are an air cooled VW part. I believe normal 12v coils that require the resistor are 1.5ohm.

remove resistor, and try again. I too follow bored and stroked's process for first time fire ups. last year I did one, it had been probably 15 years since I fired a fresh motor. pulled plugs, checked rotor was pointed to #1 spark plug wire on install and spun it with a fresh battery until it got oil pressure on the gage and both carbs had full fuel and squirted well. then I double checked timing.... perfect...... put the plugs back in it and hit one choke and it lit off so fast I jumped!
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #31
BUBBAS IGNITION

No resistor needed with the bosch blue coil ! Thats why they make a good choice in coils, no resitor is needed . Most quality coil I have ever used ..
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #32
qmdv

Removed ballast resistor. Put a little ether in and if fired. Have recognized the fact that the fuel system needs draining and cleaning. It is too cold in the shop and do not want to light a fire in the stove and drain the fuel system at the same time. Getting a shoulder joint replaced this Wednesday so I think I will be content to fire up the stove tomorrow and tidy up the shop. Then attack the project after recovery from surgery. Will keep everybody informed after that. Thanks so much
Old 02-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #33
Mart

Glad you got it to at least fire.

Good luck with the surgery.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #34
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmdv View Post
Just checked it and it reads 3. I think I better get a meter that reads at least one digit to the right of the decimal point. No point in going farther tell I do that.
3 is close enough, no external resistor with that coil.

Update: Talk about a day late and a dollar short!!! Some how I missed several post on my phone. Glad you got it going.

Last edited by JSeery; 02-04-2019 at 09:05 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #35
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Removed ballast resistor. Put a little ether in and if fired. Have recognized the fact that the fuel system needs draining and cleaning. It is too cold in the shop and do not want to light a fire in the stove and drain the fuel system at the same time. Getting a shoulder joint replaced this Wednesday so I think I will be content to fire up the stove tomorrow and tidy up the shop. Then attack the project after recovery from surgery. Will keep everybody informed after that. Thanks so much
Good luck with the surgery! Have had a few folks in my family have their shoulders replaced. The most important thing is to really do the rehab and get the range of motion and strength back. Shoulder replacements can be quite painful (because you use your arms for everything) - just don't short-cut the rehab/exercise work - it is key to a great future!

Be well and best of luck,
Dale
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #36
philipswanson

Quote:
Getting a shoulder joint replaced this Wednesday so I think I will be content to fire up the stove tomorrow and tidy up the shop. Then attack the project after recovery from surgery. Thanks so much
That's a pretty long recovery. My son-in-law had it done a few months ago and is still recovering. Good luck!
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #37
cas3

glad it fired up for you. good luck and get well soon so you can play again
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #38
qmdv

I have a new tank from Tanks Inc. In the manufacturing process to stamp those tanks into shape oil is applied to the metal surface. Guess who did not put two gallons of gas in the brand new tank and swish it around to rid it of oil. So when I am able after surgery guess who as to tear the carbs apart to clean out the goo. At least I know the problem
Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #39
Tinker

Thanks for following up. get well!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #40
Black Fifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Good luck with the surgery! Have had a few folks in my family have their shoulders replaced. The most important thing is to really do the rehab and get the range of motion and strength back. Shoulder replacements can be quite painful (because you use your arms for everything) - just don't short-cut the rehab/exercise work - it is key to a great future!

Be well and best of luck,
Dale
+1 on Bored and Stroke's advice about rehab/PT. That makes ALL the difference in the world!

Great news about getting her running!
Black Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote