Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #1
qmdv

Default Fan too far from radiator.

On my 32 build I have a 59AB engine. My fan is 3 inches from radiator. What some call the fan hub is 1" long. I think 1" fan clearance from radiator is what I need so a fan with 3 inch hub would be ideal. Since I have been having trouble finding one I think a 2 inch spacer (easy to make) would solve the problem. Anybody do this.
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:36 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Fan too far from radiator.

The '32 fan is 4 1/2 from the from of the blades to the rear of the hub. That might be what you need. If that doesn't give you what you need one from a '33-'36 might work. The dimension for the '33-'36 is not in the green bible, maybe someone can provide it?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
John R

Sounds like you have a 33-36 fan. These have the shortest hub (about 1") of all the generator-mounted fans. A 37-38 fan hub is about 1 inch longer.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmdv View Post
On my 32 build I have a 59AB engine. My fan is 3 inches from radiator. What some call the fan hub is 1" long. I think 1" fan clearance from radiator is what I need so a fan with 3 inch hub would be ideal. Since I have been having trouble finding one I think a 2 inch spacer (easy to make) would solve the problem. Anybody do this.
I thought we resolved this same issue for you on a post you made last October....

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253607

I responded to your wanted ad for a 37 fan, but you declined that, and said you had decided to make a spacer for the fan you already had, which is apparently a 33-36 fan. I'm sure many folks have done this in the past, but it seems to me finding a fan with the correct spacing hub would be a better option.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-21-2019 at 04:35 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:04 AM   #5
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I thought we resolved this same issue for you on a post you made last October....

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253607

I responded to your wanted ad for a 37 fan, but you declined that, and said you had decided to make a spacer for the fan you already had, which is apparently a 33-36 fan. I'm sure many folks have done this in the past, but it seems to me finding a fan with the correct spacing hub would be a better option.
As per your private message, the 37 fan has a 2" hub. That will still be too short by about an inch. I think (but am not sure) that a 32 fan will be the ticket. I would like to see one myself.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:14 AM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Another problem you might have (not related to how close the fan is to the radiator) is the height of the generator/fan as determined by the intake manifold. If the generator/fan is too high the fan will hit the hoses. The '37 (and I think a few years later) is the lowest. PM me if you need one.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0546.jpg (46.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0547.jpg (48.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #7
deuce lover

Quote:
As per your private message, the 37 fan has a 2" hub. That will still be too short by about an inch. I think (but am not sure) that a 32 fan will be the ticket. I would like to see one myself.

The big picture is of a 37 V860 commercial fan.Here a pic of an original 32 V8 Fan(attached thumbnail).The hub itself is 3 3/4".The '32 from the front of the blades to rear of hub is 4 1/2".'37 commercial fans look similar and that hub is slightly longer( 4 1/8") so for the most part might not clear the radiator depending on the core thickness of your radiator.The 37 commercial fan hub has a longer collar at the flange where it mounts to the generator.That is the quick way to tell.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 V8 fan.jpg (162.5 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by deuce lover; 01-22-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added pic
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
John R

Deuce Lover, what is the diameter of that 37 fan? I thought the 36-39 commercial fans were larger (17") than a 32 fan.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
Krylon32

Check Stokers Hot Rod Factory. They manufacture a series of Flathead fan spacers. I know they're for Hot Rods but they look really good and I'll bet they work.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
Deuce Lover, what is the diameter of that 37 fan? I thought the 36-39 commercial fans were larger (17") than a 32 fan.

That I couldn't tell you but you are correct about the 17".The 37-39 V860 commercial fan is 15 3/4" with a 4 1/8" hub.That was a fan advertised as a '32 on another site which was incorrect..I added that pic so that one can tell the difference of the hubs.

Last edited by deuce lover; 01-22-2019 at 10:53 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

The 37 passenger car fan has a 2" hub riveted to fan blades. When you factor in the pitch of the blades it's overall measurement becomes nearly 3" which I said in my pm to you. What you've needed to give us from the get go is the actual measurement from fan mount pulley to finned radiator surface with radiator mounted in it's exact final position.

Also, as you take the above measurement, you could measure what diameter fan blades must be to prevent blade tips from hitting underside of top radiator tank.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-22-2019 at 10:57 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #12
qmdv

TURLOCK SWAP MEET this weekend. I will be there with all the necessary measurements. AS usual there is a lot of good info and smart folks on this sight.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
TURLOCK SWAP MEET this weekend. I will be there with all the necessary measurements. AS usual there is a lot of good info and smart folks on this sight.
What did you finally decide on, a '32? An ad in the wanted section might get results.

Charlie Stephens
Old 01-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #14
Kerk

I was in the same situation with my 32 with an L.B. engine and had a spacer made to give me the distance I decided on. Easy fix with a piece of AL, Worked for me. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #15
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
I was in the same situation with my 32 with an L.B. engine and had a spacer made to give me the distance I decided on. Easy fix with a piece of AL, Worked for me. kerk
Most likely what will happen. How far is your fan from the radiator