Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
Brian in Wheeling

Default harmonic balancer

Has anyone heard of using a crank pulley with a harmonic balancer, or even if one could be fitted, would there be any benefit given the heavy flywheel?

Brian W.
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
1955cj5

Default Re: harmonic balancer

This thread eventually discusses a harmonic balancer that is made in New Zealand...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215512
Old 06-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
Chris Haynes

I bought one. Looks to be nicely made. I haven't installed it yet.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
J Franklin

I think Winfield makes one
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
steve s

I have one sold by a California company as a Winfield repro. I used it for several years before my motor's latest rebuild. There was only imaginary perceived vibration improvement, but I believe that is as expected: It's supposed to protect the crank against breakage due to torsional harmonics, not the kind that make the motor bounce up and down. My crank didn't break, so maybe it worked--I guess.

They are very controversial, and, like so much Model A wisdom, opposing sides are absolutely certain of their positions and the folly of alternative viewpoints. For example, a well-known Texas rebuilder claimed great results with balancer built into the fly wheel (!); others say that's nuts--there's a reason the rest of the world puts the balancers at the front of the crank. Also, it's very important that they be referred to as "dampeners", not "balancers," or maybe it's the other way around--I can't remember. Engineering types stress the importance of having the balancer custom designed for the specs of the particular motor, and the foolishness of a one-size-fits-all notion, irrespective of aftermarket crank weights, flywheel reductions, compression ratio changes, rod or piston weight changes that might have happened--unless, maybe, it's some kind of fluid dampener,

My experience is that after my latest rebuild, with the balancer now removed, my motor has a vibration point at 35 mph (in 3rd gear) that is shifted by about 4 or 5 mph from where it was before the rebuild and WITH the balancer. Sorry, Parkinsons has taken a toll on my memory--I don't recall whether the shift was up or down.

Last edited by steve s; 06-24-2017 at 07:50 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
wensum

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
This thread eventually discusses a harmonic balancer that is made in New Zealand...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215512
I would like to reiterate my comments in the above thread, Understanding that my motor is modified to a fast touring spec, with Burlington crankshaft, lightened flywheel, and McEachem timing gears, (amongst many improvements) but the rattle from the timing gears was embarrassing and the vibration period in the rev range, bloody annoying!
The harmonic balancer as supplied by the New Zealand maker totally transformed the motor, eliminating the timing gear rattle and the vibration period, making it a delight to drive.
It's possible that a totally standard motor without modifications may not need the balancer with the heavy flywheel dampening out any vibrations?
Keith
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensum View Post
I would like to reiterate my comments in the above thread, Understanding that my motor is modified to a fast touring spec, with Burlington crankshaft, lightened flywheel, and McEachem timing gears, (amongst many improvements) but the rattle from the timing gears was embarrassing and the vibration period in the rev range, bloody annoying!
The harmonic balancer as supplied by the New Zealand maker totally transformed the motor, eliminating the timing gear rattle and the vibration period, making it a delight to drive.
It's possible that a totally standard motor without modifications may not need the balancer with the heavy flywheel dampening out any vibrations?
Keith
Keith, without being there to observe first-hand the vibrations in the "Rev range", it is hard to discern if what you are experiencing is normal however my experience with a similar rotating assembly counters what you are experiencing. Most aftermarket counterweighted crankshafts move the harmonics that are sometimes experienced in the acceleration out beyond what the typical RPMs that an A/B engine sees. I do realize the balancer does aid in controlling crankshaft "whip" or torsional defection however I suspect in your circumstance, your balancer is masking a poor balance job of something in the rotating assy.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
wensum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Keith, without being there to observe first-hand the vibrations in the "Rev range", it is hard to discern if what you are experiencing is normal however my experience with a similar rotating assembly counters what you are experiencing. Most aftermarket counterweighted crankshafts move the harmonics that are sometimes experienced in the acceleration out beyond what the typical RPMs that an A/B engine sees. I do realize the balancer does aid in controlling crankshaft "whip" or torsional defection however I suspect in your circumstance, your balancer is masking a poor balance job of something in the rotating assy.
Thanks for your observations Brent.
The motor was fastidiously balanced initially and then it was discovered the original crankshaft with welded on counterweights was cracked. This was replaced with a Burlington crankshaft and it together with the flywheel was re-balanced. The noisy timing gear problem existed with both crankshafts and may be the result of slightly inaccurate machining for the shell bearings?
Initially I had an alloy timing gear and swapped it for the bronze one which proved even noisier.
In the earlier report, you will see that another owner with a relatively standard engine had similar problems to mine and the balancer cured his problems too.
I'm totally sold on it
Keith
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote