Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
Bassman/NZ

Default Re: Cam Timing question for the experts on Isky 1007B

Are the adjusters in the lifters a tight fit? Silly question, I know, but a little slop here might cause a retarded reading.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #22
Russco

They are tight I wish I could find anything else that it could be but, Im afraid the cam is just ground wrong. A few guys over on the HAMB have had the same deal with cams from Isky too. I keep hoping its not, but looks like I will be pulling it back out. And the customer service at Isky was not good either.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #23
john mullen

Its good you know how to degree the cam. just think how some people would have just put it in then wonder why there motor was a dog. sounds like time to call Jim

Last edited by john mullen; 03-23-2012 at 07:44 PM.
john mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #24
JWL
Member Emeritus

So, if I understand the situation---the opening point is retarded but the closing point is reasonably accurate? Is that right?

Only two things can cause such a problem:
1. The cam is ground with insuffcient duration.
2 Something within the measuring system is inconsistent.

As many times as you have been through this deal and if the same results keep popping up I would have to point to the camshaft.

Have you read my book? It includes a discussion on camshaft endplay correction.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #25
Russco

JWL I have not read your book, I'm new to flatheads but I've built many racing DOHC motors in which cam timing is critical. I have a fair amount of experience degreeing cams. I'm confident what I'm reporting is accurate. I am certain the cam is ground wrong. The cam timing results on this cam are consistant (I've done it over and over hoping I was missing something) I have NEVER had a cam be more than about 1-2 degrees off from spec this was the first (and last) Isky cam I'll ever buy. Now I have to find a similar grind in another brand.

This is where I was hoping to get another recommendation from you Flathead guys like JWL or Pete or Ol'Ron that know what works from experience. Im looking for a good bottom end /midrange cam for a 286 8ba with EAB (decked) heads, dual carb, headers, 3 speed trans no O/D for a light car. I usually run a 3.12 gear and drive alot on the interstate so 2500rpm cruising rpm. I doubt it would ever see over 4000 rpm Pete reccomended this Isky and I would like something with similar specs but I've lost all Faith in the Isky brand.

Last edited by Russco; 03-24-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Russco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #26
fourtydlx

Send a message via Yahoo to fourtydlx

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Could the cam gear be off? Its just a thought?
fourtydlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #27
Russco

I wish it were something that easy. Unfortunately for me its not. Simply put the cam is ground wrong, well maybe its ground correctly but its not the grind I ordered or the cam card says it is. What a shame too, Isky been in business 70+ years and can't check a custom grind to make sure its right before they ship it out? I wonder how many guys just put them in not knowing they are wrong?

EDIT: I went ahead and checked the Exhaust too same thing the opening is off by 7 degrees at both .020 and .050 but the closing points are correct. The max lift is also correct I didnt bother with the lobe center.

Last edited by Russco; 03-24-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Russco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #28
Russco

What about this Schneider instead of the Isky? http://schneidercams.com/250Fflathead.aspx
Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #29
Russco

Just an Update, I was able to get an unused 1007B regrind done by D&L Automachine from a Fordbarn Member. I put it in and it checked out good.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #30
john mullen

good deal, Im glad you got it rite. I admire your persistance to get it rite
john mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #31
Bored&Stroked

This is an old thread, but I wanted to comment on the fact that when you get a cam done by Pete at D&L, you can trust the work . . . there is NONE better!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #32
scicala

After reading all of these comments, I would take a wild guess and say that Isky has thrifted their manufacturing process to another country (somewhere west of Hawaii), or at least the machining part.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #33
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
This is an old thread, but I wanted to comment on the fact that when you get a cam done by Pete at D&L, you can trust the work . . . there is NONE better!
Dale .. Pure conjecture my friend ! !!! You have never used 1 of my cams.....
I have sold so many & have yet to have the first issue or unhappy user of one of my cams !!!
With all due respect to "Pete" my cams are as good or better than any regrind out there !!! I to can supply "Isky" original copies .. But as many know "I" have something way better !
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #34
Ol' Ron

Cam timing can be frustrating, especially when something is wrong. I doubt the adverage guy wouldn't notice anything wrong with the engine with only a few degrees of error, but that no excuse. I started checking cam back lash after JWL suggested it, and their allover the map, I had one with over .020" had to put a shin behind the gear, I alway ran L-100's in my street engines, they sounded great and pulled well over 2500, peeked out around 4800 on the dyno. I have several engines out there with 1007B cams in them and one is still on the floor someplace ( right Ken) the other is driving around someplace. Pete can probably fix it, but i'd get on Iakies ass.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:57 AM   #35
my4dv8

We have installed a 1007B in our new build from a cam we had in stock, but from research it might appear that the 1007B is no longer in production . Please prove me wrong. Is this correct or wrong. Sad face if wrong. It's a nice medium mild torquey cam with a relatively subtle idle. I have recommended this cam to a couple of new builders seeking a mild street cam.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #36
Cheaterpete

I did have same issues with factory ISKY cams, I m now working with schneider, D&l, And Kiwil100 only.
Cheaterpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #37
Ol' Ron

Sounds like this guy knows what he's doing. Most cams miss the mark by a few degrees, and I blame that on myself, However when a cam is this far off, you recheck everything more than once. Time to make the call.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #38
GOSFAST

Very few cams are "dead-on" when installed simply based on the cam/crank gear marks. There's a whole bunch of reasons that it may be off, not necessarily the grinders fault.

For future builds here talk with your machinist about having the cam gear and cam set up to be able to move it fairly easily by "pinning" the cam, same setup as a SB/BB Chevy. We do them here fairly often!

On a side note we haven't had a single Isky problem, we stay with them or Comp Cams nowadays. I would trust some of the cam guys up here also.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's 2 shots of a finished cam snout/timing gear pinned and able to be moved a fair amount IF necessary! Uses conventional Chevy bushings, these are always readily available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Timing Gear Pill A.JPG (81.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Timing Gear Pill B.JPG (81.6 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 10-10-2018 at 12:07 PM.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #39
Pete

This is an old thread but Ed Isky himself called me today because he had heard of the 1007B problem. The 1007B has not been offered by him for many years.
It will be interesting to see what comes of this.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #40
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
For future builds here talk with your machinist about having the cam gear and cam set up to be able to move it fairly easily by "pinning" the cam, same setup as a SB/BB Chevy.

On a side note we haven't had a single Isky problem, we stay with them or Comp Cams nowadays. I would trust some of the cam guys up here also.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.
While having a method to adjust the cam timing (via the pinning or alternate setoff holes methods) works, it would not have "fixed" the cam in this case. The exhaust timing was about right, the intake was way off - nothing can fix that except a different cam. Maybe the original cam was a poorly done regrind by somebody other than Isky . . . as like Pete, I have not known of them making this cam in quite a few years. Will be interesting to see what Pete hears back.

This whole issue is exactly the reason I have Pete do my regrinds for the 1007B, the Potvin 3/8 and the Potvin 425 - his work is really nice and he and I like to drink 'martooonies' and 'tootie fruities' when we have a chance (only after the cam work or racing is done! LOL).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote