Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #841
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

11 minutes... that's a short one and to make matters worse, on a main road where you've got a traffic light every 100 yards and they are all timed so that if you hit one red, you'll hit em all red... a three mile ride can end up taking an hour...
Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #842
Vic Piano

I just had an excellent visit from Bill S (on the FordBarn) & his wife. They are visiting Florida and were nice enough to stop by and spend some time talking flatheads with me. They just left, heading south, and will be going to Ft. Myers to tour the Edison-Ford winter Estates. Thanks for stopping by and have a safe and enjoyable stay in the Sunshine State.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #843
Vic Piano

Here's an electrical question... I've been working on a '47 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet and, last time we fired it up it blew up one of the two ignition resistors... Earlier today I replaced both resistors with new units and the car still is not getting any spark. Should I consider replacing the two condensers on the distributor, or am I overlooking something else
Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #844
Ken/Alabama

Getting any voltage to the ignition coils?
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #845
Vic Piano

Ken, I don't know as I haven't had a chance to check that yet, the car is not at my place so I stopped by just to install the resisters and an OEM style fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb... I won't have a chance to get back over to where the car is until next Monday or Tuesday, at that time I'll check things out with a test light, etc. By the way, you are doing a beautiful job on the '39 LZ.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #846
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Surprise, Surprise…

I walked out this morning only to be greeted by a flat tire on the '53 F-100 Panel Truck... Take a look at the close up photo, you'll see that the tread let go on the top side...

This is the third tire (out of four) that has suffered the same demise... the tread has come apart on each one!!! You can bet that I won't be giving the remaining tire a chance to do this. The good thing is, this time the tire went flat in the drive way, the other two times were both on the road... Guess I'll be making a trip down to the Firestone dealer tomorrow...
Old 04-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #847
IL41Flat

Why would it do that?
IL41Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #848
Vic Piano

That's a good question! Three others did the same thing although not while sitting… I can only attribute the condition to poor manufacturing… I will say that the tires were aged but had very little miles on them. There is one remaining tire that has not separated as yet however, I don’t plan on keeping it mounted to a rim and on the truck…
Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #849
41ford1

There are a few threads on the HAMB about aged tires letting go like that. There were a lot of recommendations against running any tires older than 7 years. How aged are yours? It's good it let go in the driveway and not at speed.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #850
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Surprise, Surprise…

I walked out this morning only to be greeted by a flat tire on the '53 F-100 Panel Truck... Take a look at the close up photo, you'll see that the tread let go on the top side...

This is the third tire (out of four) that has suffered the same demise... the tread has come apart on each one!!! You can bet that I won't be giving the remaining tire a chance to do this. The good thing is, this time the tire went flat in the drive way, the other two times were both on the road... Guess I'll be making a trip down to the Firestone dealer tomorrow...
Had a Michelin do that while on the spare tire carrier on my old van. While inside a vinyl tire cover. What a mess.

Cause: old tires, used or not.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #851
flatmotor40

I have had ones on my trailer and a couple on other cars in the garage do the same thing.SORRY SORRY cheap rubber they use now.In the past you could use tires for years and years and not seperate just sitting there.Used the small trailer to haul brother in laws mower and put back in yard went by 2 weeks later tire had separated now go and get 2 new ones
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #852
BILL WZOREK

As Chuck mentioned The 7 yr. rings a bell / I know on the big trucks there is a # of years old after which they will not recap. ( I think that is also 7 yr's.)
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #853
Vic Piano

Yup, the tires were aged (can’t remember when I got them… CRS ) however; the first one separated when they were relatively new with less then 1,000 miles on them. I'm sure age was a contributing factor but I'd also suspect a manufacturing defect.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #854
TomT/Williamsburg

That sucks, Vic - almost makes we want to skip getting whide whites anymore ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #855
Vic Piano

Tom, I'm addicted to Wide White Wall tires... I just gotta have em!!! The tires on the Panel Truck were from one of the "specialty" tire places, I don't even remember who I got them from...
Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #856
Ed Pitts

Vic, maybe they were some of the famous Firestone Ford Explorer tires??? Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #857
Vic Piano

Ed, One thing for sure... I didn't flip over them...
Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #858
Vic Piano

Here's something some of you might get a kick out of... while cleaning out my desk, in preparation to actually move into the house we've been building, I found this key fob in an envelope marked "car keys". A little Ford history...

I actually owned two Pinto's, a '71 Hatch Back that I bought when I got discharged from the Army and a '72 Pinto Squire... I thought they were both excellent cars...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #859
Vic Piano

Time for a Road Trip

This Saturday we are taking a ride over to the East Coast of Florida to look at a collection of Early Ford Cars, Parts, etc. I'm told that the collection includes a '33 Ford Five Window Coupe (that is an original car showing approximately 75,000 miles on the odometer), a '40 Ford Convertible Club Coupe, (an AACA Award Winner) and a '46 Ford TuDor Sedan. In addition to the cars, there are Flathead engines, and various speed equipment for same. Also gas pumps, signage, etc. I'll be taking photos of everything, as I believe most of the items will be going up for sale. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #860
Vic Piano

Road Trip Up Date

Early this morning Don, Mike and I drove over to the East Coast of Florida to look at a collection of cars & parts, and to advise the elderly women who owned them as to what we felt was a realistic value for them. There were four nice cars, a '33 Ford Five Window Coupe, a '40 Ford Convertible Club Coupe, '46 Ford Club Coupe and a '58 Chevrolet Impala Hard Top. In addition there were several tool boxes filled with various tools, etc. There were also a number of related signs, a gas pump and an 8N Ford Tractor and several boxes of related parts. Here are some photos of what we saw.

The '33 had some nice accessories, it was complete, with some visable body blemishes...

the '40 Cconvertible was a very nice car, an older restoration with an up dated Flathead.

The '46 Coupe has an 8BA and an after market front seat...

There were a lot of interesting parts, etc. to see and, after giving everything as close a look as we could (we didn't get any of the cars started) I gave my assessment of what I thought a realistic value would be for each of the cars, etc., given the circumstances. With each suggestion I was rebuffed by the women who insisted that everything was worth significantly more then I projected it t be... It was apparent that she had already set values (that she would accept) in her mind. I don't think any of here expected prices are realistic however, I did tell her that I would post photos along with her pricing so, for those of you who might be interested (you can PM me for additional information if you like) here goes.

1933 Ford Five Window Coupe $35,000.00
1940 Ford Convterbile $75,000.00
1946 Ford Coupe $25,000.00
1958 Chevy $35,000.00

I was unable to get any additional pricing for the other items...