Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #2361
40cpe

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Thanks Vic. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I hope you get to see that fine grandson.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #2362
Vic Piano

Thanks Gene, now I've got a granddaughter as well... We are planning to drive up to Atlanta sometime between thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #2363
40cpe

Well, aren't you blessed!! Have a safe trip
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #2364
Vic Piano

Thanks on both counts.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:45 PM   #2365
Vic Piano

For those who have been asking, the official dates for the 2017 Cigar City Flatheads Florida "Barner's Bash" are February 24th to 26th. We will be updating info on hotels, events, etc. as we confirm them. Thanks for supporting the Cigar City Flatheads.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:28 PM   #2366
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Do any of you guys, that play with Lincoln Zephyrs, know of a source for front motor mounts? I’m looking for a set for my ’39 LZ. The parts book list 86H-6038 and/or 96H-6038. As always, help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #2367
Bruce in southern OH

Vic, I removed and repaired the ones on the car. You can look at my old post on the 39 Lincoln. Also I am sure Ken would have info if you wanted it 100% correct, not just functional , be safe , Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #2368
Vic Piano

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate that. I'll PM Ken if I don't hear from him. I'm not worried about keeping the car original in this regard, I just want to make sure the engine is secure, to keep things in place every time I do a 'burnout' at a traffic light... LOL Hope you had a good Thanksgiving and wish you a Merry Christmas. Vic
Old 12-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #2369
Vic Piano

My friend Mike and I went to help Karen, our friend Don's wife. set up for a garage sale that will take place this Wednesday, December 7th, starting at 10:00am. Our friend and fellow Flathead lover Don, passed away last year. Over time he had amassed an extensive collection of Hot Rod memorabilia as well as parts for late '30's to mid '50's Ford's and Mercury's. The garage sale is opened to all but, in particular to Don's friends and fellow Hot Rodder's. If you are interested in attending, PM me and I'll provide the location to you.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #2370
Vic Piano

My friend Don passed away last year. His wife has asked me to help her sell some of his Hot Rod parts and memorabilia. We had a garage sale today in Clearwater, FL where he had mostly Flathead Ford Speed Equipment, etc. In his extensive car magazine collection is a complete set of Rodder’s Journal magazines, from issue #1 to #70, all are in their original plastic wrap and postal envelopes. Don’s wife is asking $1,500.00 obo. If you are interested, please contact me via PM here on FordBarn or on the Cigar City Flatheads page on FaceBook. Thanks. Vic
Old 12-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #2371
rooboy

Had a similar problem on my '39....turned out to be the universal joint was touching the cupped section of the tailshaft housing that covers the uni. joint..
Replaced the tailshaft and gear box bearing(s) ect. along with the uni. joint ....fixed...........
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #2372
Vic Piano

Still learning something new every day... After searching through shop manuals, etc. to get more info on the '39 LZ front motor mounts, I found out that the front motor mounts on the '36-'39 LZ's are not the same as the '40 to '48 however, the later ones were improved and will fit, they were used as replacement for the early mounts back in the day.... I got a set of '40-'48 mounts from Merv Adkins in California. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to install them this Saturday.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #2373
Vic Piano

On Christmas Day I opened up a can of worms I decided to swap out the front motor mounts in the '39 LZ. I can't even count the number of Ford Flathead V8 motor mounts I've changed over the years, I assumed (and we all know what that does) that the LZ mounts would be a similar task Well, I got the bottle jack and piece of wood (that I use on the V8 when changing motor mounts), set them in place and removed the nuts that hold the motor mounts to the cross member. That was relatively easy... Next I tried to get a drop light positioned so that it would illuminate the underside of the engine, so I could see the heads of the bolts that secure the motor mounts to the block. This proved to be next to impossible (I should mention that I was attempting this procedure solo) Once I could see the heads of the bolts, the next problem was figuring out how to get a socket, etc. up onto the bolt. The LZ mounts have two bolts going into the block on each mount. The bolts on the inside (closest to the oil pan) are positioned just to the rear of the center of the cross member. It's one of those "you can see it but you can't get to it" situations. After several attempts, I configured a socket to a universal, to an extension, another universal, another extension and finally the socket wrench... This all had to be snaked between the cross member and tie rod. After about a half hour and dispensing of a steady flow of vulgarities... I got the two "inside" bolts out. The remaining "outside" bolt heads are only about a half an inch above the cross member, with the engine not jacked up. At that point, I called it quits for the day. I'll have to enlist the help of some of my friends before I continue. It's apparent that, when these cars were built, the front motor mounts were attached to the engine before it was installed however, there must be a way to replace them without having to go to the extreme of pulling the engine out...
Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #2374
Vic Piano

I hope everyone enjoyed their New Years celebration. I spent yesterday playing in the garage, something I enjoy most of the time… I changed the front motor mounts in the ’39 Lincoln Zephyr Convertible Club Coupe… As is usually the case, what I thought was going to be a relatively easy job, turned into a major pain in the butt… After three and a half hours of messing with them, I got the old (I think they were original to the car) motor mounts out and wrestled the new ones in. The last bolt (almost always) is the one that gives me the most trouble, and this one was no exception… Now, for the good part, I could feel the difference in the car as soon as I hit the starter button… She fired right up and was smooth, almost as if she wasn’t running. I gunned the gas a few times and could actually feel how solid the car felt. I backed her off the lift and took a spin around the neighborhood. I’m still grinning… It was like driving a brand new car. The Zephyr is a heavy car and has always been an enjoyable car to drive but I never realized that the motor mounts were as warn out as they were. Now I’m looking forward to a topless cruise later today.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #2375
adileo

Vic very cool. I can't wait for my ride
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #2376
Vic Piano

Andy, Happy New Year. You should try to get down to Tampa for the 2017 Florida "Barner's Bash" from February 24th to 26th. We'll be doing a fair amount of Topless Cruisin' around the Tampa Bay area, with lots of cool places to go and things to see.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #2377
adileo

Vic, I've been out of the office on vacation since dec 12. My first day back is tomorrow. If work permits I'll be there. I'll let you know for sure (either way) as soon as I can.
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #2378
Vic Piano

Excellent. Hope you can make it.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #2379
Vic Piano

I haven't been posting much here on the FordBarn lately, partly because of my apparent inability to grasp "Windows 10" as it relates to posting photos... I find that the old adage, 'a picture is worth a thousand words' is the best way to communicate on Q&A forums, so I've been posting on my page and the Cigar City Flatheads pages on FaceBook. I did want to give a shout out to Charlie NY, I just sent the carb from my '39 CS up to him as, after my recent three rebuild attempts, (none of which produced a satisfactory result), I decided to seek professional help... Charlie built my '39 LZ carb (it needed a significant amount of work to transform it from the fountain it had become, back to a properly function carburetor) around five years ago and it has performed flawlessly all this time. So, I'm looking forward to getting the carb back from Charlie and getting back to cruisin' topless in the '39 CS.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #2380
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
I haven't been posting much here on the FordBarn lately, partly because of my apparent inability to grasp "Windows 10" as it relates to posting photos... I find that the old adage, 'a picture is worth a thousand words' is the best way to communicate on Q&A forums. So, I'm looking forward to getting the carb back from Charlie and getting back to cruisin' topless in the '39 CS.
Hey Vic.........I've got "Windows 10" also, but I'm not having any problems at all posting pics on the 'Barn. Works just like with the old "XP" computer. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote