Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
modelAtony

Default Tod winfield/ weiand head

Tod, would you consider having Bill Stipe do some dyno testing on a combustion chamber design PRIOR to making a new head. How do they know the winfield is the better of the two. and is it the best that can be built. THE POWERS TO BE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW. HAVE FUN modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA all the best to your new engine.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Tod winfield/ weiand head

Does Bill have a dyno test site??? If so I would like to add it to my favorites list.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Does Bill have a dyno test site??? If so I would like to add it to my favorites list.
Purdy, I just got home and saw you asked about stipe info here tis. SPECIALTY MOTOR CAMS specialtymotorcams.com . modelAtony
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Hey Purdy,
Now only does Bill build engines, but he has his own dyno to test them on...how cool is that !
Just wish that I could have had him build a B for me ! That man is a perfectionist, IMO ! Based on everything that I've purchased from him..like works of art ! Too bad, for us, that he is retiring, but I got my last order in in time !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
Purdy, I just got home and saw you asked about stipe info here tis. SPECIALTY MOTOR CAMS specialtymotorcams.com . modelAtony
Thanks Tony. I'll put it on my favorites list
Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Purdy,
Now only does Bill build engines, but he has his own dyno to test them on...how cool is that !
Just wish that I could have had him build a B for me ! That man is a perfectionist, IMO ! Based on everything that I've purchased from him..like works of art ! Too bad, for us, that he is retiring, but I got my last order in in time !
Hey Rick, I know that Bill is one of the best. I run cams that he ground in a couple of my engines. I didn't know that he showed dyno test results on his site . Hopefully his machine shop will remain in business after his retirement. If not, it will be a bad loss to the model A performance community !!!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Hey Rick, I know that Bill is one of the best. I run cams that he ground in a couple of my engines. I didn't know that he showed dyno test results on his site . Hopefully his machine shop will remain in business after his retirement. If not, it will be a bad loss to the model A performance community !!!
Amen brother ! A better professional and genuinely nice member of our hobby will not pass this way again soon, IMO ! Better get your order in now, as he explained that he is winding down and filling orders already taken !
Not sure what is to become of his shop. Seem to remember something of him having a son ? Maybe follow in Bills footsteps,eh !

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-14-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: ..........
Old 08-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #8
colin1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
Tod, would you consider having Bill Stipe do some dyno testing on a combustion chamber design PRIOR to making a new head. How do they know the winfield is the better of the two. and is it the best that can be built. THE POWERS TO BE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW. HAVE FUN modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA all the best to your new engine.
Why these heads have been tested many times over the last 80+ years and the crows foot Winfield always wins
I have owner many different performance heads and tried many of them on the same engine with only the head changed
Winfield Red original iron was always made the best power
other heads I have tried include Winfield Yellow, Super Winfield ( dispite the name not as good as the orginals) Weiand, Cyclone, Thomas, Evans, Simonds
This my opinion but almost every racer or engine builder I have spoken with who has tried different heads agrees the crows foot iron Winfield No1
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1928 View Post
Why these heads have been tested many times over the last 80+ years and the crows foot Winfield always wins
I have owner many different performance heads and tried many of them on the same engine with only the head changed
Winfield Red original iron was always made the best power
other heads I have tried include Winfield Yellow, Super Winfield ( dispite the name not as good as the orginals) Weiand, Cyclone, Thomas, Evans, Simonds
This my opinion but almost every racer or engine builder I have spoken with who has tried different heads agrees the crows foot iron Winfield No1
Colin,

I sent you a PM.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Purdy Swoft

My take on dyno testing the different heads would be to give an idea of what the actual horsepower increase would be. We've seen tests on other heads. Sure, the Winfield heads are good and have stated compression ratios and a great history in the past .
Old 08-15-2014, 01:05 AM   #11
nickair

Yes, I'm with Purdy. The dyno testing would be nice to see hp as well as the torque numbers. I am looking forward to the new head/s.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Well, this also begs the question; can the crows food designed be improved upon by twisting or plug location.

Bill has the capability to make just a flat plate on his CNC where he doesn't need to build/cast a complete head with water jackets just to test with. He also has the ability to grind a special camshaft that can compliment the chamber design of a new head. Personally I also think this would be money well spent to do some dyno work, even if it requires adding $50.00 to the price of each head and amortize it over 150-200 units. The only downside to this new head is it may drop the prices on some vintage / era aftermarket heads. I say go for it!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #13
Purdy Swoft

Depending on price, I agree. I've seen a lot of good parts that were priced so high that the common man would say, just forget it. If the price is reasonably, more parts will sell and still make a profit, maybe more in the long run
Old 08-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
Tod

Brent and Purdy, pricing is less an object than coming up with chamber designs and time to play with them. I can make various chamber designs with my casting system that will keep pricing down. Keep in mind that I am basically the one-stop-shop, having the capacity to model up designs, make patterns, make castings (iron or aluminum) and machine those castings. It would take much too long to explain what I can do and just how I would do it but I am used to doing things others do not do or cannot do because my 37 + years in the industry has brought me into contact with quite a bit of data that I can utilize to get where I need to be. But time is always the enemy.

The twisted chamber interests me.

Tod
Old 08-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
flyin-t

Back in the late 90's Allan Wylie dyno'd 6 heads (on a Sun chassis dyno), the new Aluminum Winfield, Anderson, Weiand, Price, Brumfield and the a Model B head. Winfield out performed all of them developing 41% more hp, 18, over the the "B" head. The others made 30% more, give or take.

This was published in the January '98 secrets of speed.
flyin-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin-t View Post
Back in the late 90's Allan Wylie dyno'd 6 heads (on a Sun chassis dyno), the new Aluminum Winfield, Anderson, Weiand, Price, Brumfield and the a Model B head. Winfield out performed all of them developing 41% more hp, 18, over the the "B" head. The others made 30% more, give or take.

This was published in the January '98 secrets of speed.
Hey flyin-t,
Very interesting ! Do you know if pictures were published, showing the comb chambers shapes....that were tested ? if so, can you picture them here. For instance, was the 'new alum Winfield' the crows foot or the other one pictured here lately ?
Old 08-16-2014, 02:46 AM   #17
Dodge

The new aluminum Winfield is not a crows foot. Some have ground the crows feet into
the head though and had a improvement. It must be an air flow thing.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #18
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
The new aluminum Winfield is not a crows foot. Some have ground the crows feet into
the head though and had a improvement. It must be an air flow thing.
I can make both as cast.

Tod
Old 08-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #19
flyin-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey flyin-t,
Very interesting ! Do you know if pictures were published, showing the comb chambers shapes....that were tested ? if so, can you picture them here. For instance, was the 'new alum Winfield' the crows foot or the other one pictured here lately ?
I'll scan the article this weekend and post it here.
flyin-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #20
Tod

The new Winfield pattern is underway. While machining model A and T heads today I finished some pattern CNC cutting and was able to install my head pattern fixturing along side of the next pattern I need to cut. I decided to fit the new Winfield pattern into the time frame of the pattern I have to make. It will probably be finished in a couple of weeks.

Tod