Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #121
American Iron

Default Re: FINALLY…T5 WITH Torque Tube in a ‘35-’40 Ford...The WHOLE STORY!

It seems to me a lot easier to go with an open drive conversion. We've done about twenty of them at American Iron and they work well. I do give credit to the torque tube project that's a great engineering feat.
American Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #122
outsider347

Subscribed
Well done Gents!!!
outsider347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:38 AM   #123
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Iron View Post
It seems to me a lot easier to go with an open drive conversion. We've done about twenty of them at American Iron and they work well. I do give credit to the torque tube project that's a great engineering feat.

I sincerely appreciate the kudos on the torque tube adaptation. Quite a few folks express similar opinions about going open drive. Admittedly, the banjo rear can be a little weak, or fragile, but that can be overcome with a later Ford splined axle re-do. Once you really take the time to realize what a genius engineering concept the banjo rear really is with it's torque tube and radius rods and attached spring pack, it's a design that I prefer to work with when at all possible. When a banjo rear is installed with all of it's original appendages intact, it is just amazing how that suspension articulates in the chassis. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:45 PM   #124
32coupe

Hard to believe no one has dug this thread up since 2021. This is the first time I have seen it. As others have already said Great work by Heard and v8coopman. The t5 is a flatheads best friend IMO. And I agree with V8coopman 100% about the design of the Banjo/Torque tube rearend. Once you really study the way the suspension works and works well on a early ford torque tube setup. It's hard to beat it IMO.
32coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 06:14 AM   #125
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32coupe View Post
Hard to believe no one has dug this thread up since 2021. This is the first time I have seen it. As others have already said Great work by Heard and v8coopman. The t5 is a flatheads best friend IMO. And I agree with V8coopman 100% about the design of the Banjo/Torque tube rearend. Once you really study the way the suspension works and works well on a early ford torque tube setup. It's hard to beat it IMO.
Funny, I just brought it back up for my info last night. After searching for a while, finally located a Jeep T5 for a reasonable price. Now the fun begins and a lot of reading to make this a suitable transplant.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:26 AM   #126
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32coupe View Post
I suspect this thread has been viewed many times since '21; just no comments.

I have referred several people to this tread and I'm sure I am not the only one to do so.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 02:32 AM   #127
kiwi nz

I am trying to think this one through, I have read a few other T5 threads lately that make reference to close ratio combinations. It seems to me that with the width of the power band of a stock flathead, five gears would be two too many, until you add in the over driven fifith of course.

Nearly 50 yrs ago I had a 1966 mustang, 289, 3spd manual, 2.80:1 rear end.
It was not a combination that many people wanted, but other than its poor handling and shocking brakes the car drove well.

I have allways thought that gear box would be great behind a flat head.

Geoff
kiwi nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:51 AM   #128
32coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi nz View Post
I am trying to think this one through, I have read a few other T5 threads lately that make reference to close ratio combinations. It seems to me that with the width of the power band of a stock flathead, five gears would be two too many, until you add in the over driven fifith of course.

Nearly 50 yrs ago I had a 1966 mustang, 289, 3spd manual, 2.80:1 rear end.
It was not a combination that many people wanted, but other than its poor handling and shocking brakes the car drove well.

I have allways thought that gear box would be great behind a flat head.

Geoff
Geoff, Come on over and I will take you for a ride and then you can experience what a close ratio T5 behind a flathead is like. You say 50 years ago your 66 mustang drove well. What was the average speed limit on the highway back then? Not sure what it is today where you are at but here where I am speed limt is 70-75MPH and the trouble is even at those speeds you had better have your ass in the far right hand lane or your gonna get run over. Try driving a flathead with a 3 spd 70mph You would have to be going down hill with the wind pushing you and even then the engine is peged and probably getting ready to come apart. I love period correct ford Hot rods as much as anyone, But I also love driving my cars and unless you are just getting it out every other sunday to putter into town and get a icecream cone. The old 3speeds don't make the cut with todays traffic.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:44 AM   #129
Ol' Ron

I certainly agree with the design and building of this system. Far beyond my abilities Never had much money for my Hot Rod hobby, Wife and four kids came first. Working in Ct I came across used machinery in junkyards, that did the jos, and my employment had me running allot of machenry. But!! I know my lininations. I also like Making things. As for the banjo rear?? That was eliminated in my drag racing days, when the Oldsmoble engine ruled the rust, and I never went back. However we used a banjo rear in the stockcar, and it failed when keading the fecher!!!! But that was my fault!!! On this rear I haden't installed the pinion snubber yet. Modern rear axles are cheap and offer better brakes and posies. and this improves our cars for less money. I try to give others a better, cheaper option for their ride, so they can make the wife and kids happy!
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:54 AM   #130
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I certainly agree with the design and building of this system. Far beyond my abilities Never had much money for my Hot Rod hobby, Wife and four kids came first. Working in Ct I came across used machinery in junkyards, that did the jos, and my employment had me running allot of machenry. But!! I know my lininations. I also like Making things. As for the banjo rear?? That was eliminated in my drag racing days, when the Oldsmoble engine ruled the rust, and I never went back. However we used a banjo rear in the stockcar, and it failed when keading the fecher!!!! But that was my fault!!! On this rear I haden't installed the pinion snubber yet. Modern rear axles are cheap and offer better brakes and posies. and this improves our cars for less money. I try to give others a better, cheaper option for their ride, so they can make the wife and kids happy!
Gramps
Thanks, Ron. We're listening. After one of your posts, I searched around for one of thoe Jeep rears you mentioned. I'll pick one up eventually to have in stock.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:56 AM   #131
32coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Gramps
Ron, You make a lot of strong points on this subject. I myself just like the looks of the banjo rearend under a hot rod. And the geometry and design of the early ford rearend just works well. I know you can twist an axle, or snap a 37-48 driveshaft. Modern slide in axles and tube drive shafts can make them alot stronger. As far as cost goes it really comes down to what a persons skill set and what he has access to that will determine that. Using a modern rear end can be expensive as well because you have to buy a rearend, then you have to buy components to attach it such as ladder bars, coilovers, brackets, panhand bar and driveshaft etc, So in the grand scheme of things is it really that much cheaper to use a modern rearend? As far as going from a torque tube to ladder bars being an improvment, With there being pro's and cons on both sides that is debatable. just my 2cents
Old 02-08-2024, 10:46 AM   #132
Ol' Ron

The person that ventures into this hobby, need options, and that depends on his abilities and finchael situation. Never having any money, everything came out of junkyards. Installing a different rear axle in your early ford meant that you welded the spring brackets from your old axle on to the new axle and a homemade latter bar to the trans mount along with the new trans which could be a Packard or caddy or some other 10 dollar box. I don't remember most of the stuff.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote