Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #21
Richard in Florida

Default Re: 8BA ignition

Quote:
I think you can safely claim the advance stop screw as your baby too.
Well, I never heard of it before I dreamed it up, but there's always someone who says, "Aw, we used to do that back in '49." Same thing happened when I dreamed up using little balls of aluminum foil instead of clay for checking clearances under the heads. I called them "AlumaPeas." Sure enough... "Aw, we used to do that back in '49."

Quote:
If you were a cartoon character you'd have a light bulb above your head constantly.
I'm always looking for a better way to do something or to build a tool I can't afford or that doesn't exist. Hey, that's at LEAST half the fun!
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #22
40grit

Good to see you here Richard!

If any of the readers here are wondering about the Chevy conversion, I drove the 36 to Nashville a couple of months ago. It has a Chevy Points distributor with 3.25 9 inch rear end and S-10 5 speed.

Monteagle Mountain in I-24 is a 6% grade for 4 miles without any break. I topped the mountain at 65 mph and never came out of 5 gear. Temp was 195 degrees but it was still pretty cool weather at about 76 degrees. With the overdrive and the 3:25 rear, I probably have about a 2:50 to 2:75 final ratio.

The point is good ignition and proper timing is the best gift you can give a flathead. No way would I give up the Chevy conversion on my motor.

John Long
Old 07-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #23
Ol' Ron

I saw My first Chevy conversion back in the 60's and made my first one soon after. However I didn't use the vacuum advance untill I built a 296 for Ron horrell. He said you need this for cruise when the fuel charge is lean and needs more advance. Boy did I feel dumb. Stupid is, what stupid dose.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote