Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
BillW810

Default 1939 Ford hood brace removal

I need to remove the hood cross brace/hinge mount '39 Ford Deluxe. I plan on unfolding the rear edge and removing the spot welds to remove. With some measurements. I have seen some say cut it out and weld it back. Opinions? The hood hinge mounts are bent and the attachments are stripped. I tried to straighten in place but it kinked and needs to be removed.
BillW810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1939 Ford hood brace removal

I've done more of these than I care to recall. Cut it out very carefully and once you are happy with the repair, weld it back in.
I go the "extra mile" and file the weld(s) so they appear to be the authentic folded sheet metal.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
BillW810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I've done more of these than I care to recall. Cut it out very carefully and once you are happy with the repair, weld it back in.
I go the "extra mile" and file the weld(s) so they appear to be the authentic folded sheet metal.
Thanks too bad you aren't closer.

Bill
Old 05-11-2021, 07:00 PM   #4
BillW810

Quote:
I hate to be a bother but do you have a preferred place to cut the cross brace? The flattest place right about where it touches the hood or somewhere in those stiffening undulations?

1, 2 or 3 in pic if it's there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210511_200318.jpg (65.9 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by BillW810; 05-11-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:41 PM   #5
Pete pa

Don't cut the cross brace, drill out the spot welds where the brace meet the hood on both sides, drill straight thru both the hood and the brace, this way you have the holes to align the brace when you put it back in. In the center of the hood where the brace meets the center seam of the hood is a L shape bracket, drill those out also but leave the L shape bracket still welded to the hood. Kube was talking about the rear edge where the sheet metal is rolled over and meets the hinge bracket, those have to be cut with a cut off wheel. Also while you have the brace out, after you straighten and replace the Tee nuts mount the brace on the hinges and do your bending for the brace to fit the cowl, then make the hood fit the brace and weld it back in. Hope this helps
Pete pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:06 PM   #6
BillW810

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete pa View Post
Don't cut the cross brace, drill out the spot welds where the brace meet the hood on both sides, drill straight thru both the hood and the brace, this way you have the holes to align the brace when you put it back in. In the center of the hood where the brace meets the center seam of the hood is a L shape bracket, drill those out also but leave the L shape bracket still welded to the hood. Kube was talking about the rear edge where the sheet metal is rolled over and meets the hinge bracket, those have to be cut with a cut off wheel. Also while you have the brace out, after you straighten and replace the Tee nuts mount the brace on the hinges and do your bending for the brace to fit the cowl, then make the hood fit the brace and weld it back in. Hope this helps
It does help. Thanks. I bought this car because of the limited. Sheetmetal work. I didn't notice the bent/stripped hinge mounts. Turned into a bigger job than anticipated. But seeing what some of you guys start with I should be happy.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #7
Pete pa

Looks like a good car, much better than I started with, my project is ruff but I like doing the sheetmetal work, it needed the complete floor and firewall and the quarters patches plus the door bottoms and rain gutters but it a coupe. Just take your time, it only metal make it do what you want it to do. If you have questions let me know.
Pete pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #8
Kube

I would like to suggest you listen to the advice given to you by Pete.
When you had stated you wanted to remove the hinge brace, well, I thought of the hinge brace.
When you added the photo in a later post, it has become apparent you want to remove the hood support brace.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:55 PM   #9
BillW810

Quote:
I would like to suggest you listen to the advice given to you by Pete.
When you had stated you wanted to remove the hinge brace, well, I thought of the hinge brace.
When you added the photo in a later post, it has become apparent you want to remove the hood support brace.
I hadn't thought of just taking out the hinge plates not sure why. I'll have to look at this more. I guess I figured if the hinge plates were bent the cross brace was too. Something to look at closer.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #10
BillW810

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW810 View Post
I hadn't thought of just taking out the hinge plates not sure why. I'll have to look at this more. I guess I figured if the hinge plates were bent the cross brace was too. Something to look at closer.

Thanks
I am confused, not unusual. I think my problem with my hinge plates lies in a Ford mid year change. I have seen pics of late '39 and '40 hoods where the hinge plates are flat up against the hood sides. Looking at my hood I can't see that happening. I don't see how the cross brace would bend that much.

I found 2 pics of EARLY '39 hoods plus mine to reference. In all 3 of them the hinge plates do not touch the hood sides. Am I wrong and the hinge plates need to touch the hood? The third is my hood. Although the rust beneath the hinge plate is suspicious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39hood (4).JPG (273.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20210309_004957.jpg (28.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20210513_190626.jpg (37.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:
I am confused, not unusual. I think my problem with my hinge plates lies in a Ford mid year change. I have seen pics of late '39 and '40 hoods where the hinge plates are flat up against the hood sides. Looking at my hood I can't see that happening. I don't see how the cross brace would bend that much.

I found 2 pics of EARLY '39 hoods plus mine to reference. In all 3 of them the hinge plates do not touch the hood sides. Am I wrong and the hinge plates need to touch the hood? The third is my hood. Although the rust beneath the hinge plate is suspicious.
I have never heard of an early vs. late '39 deluxe hood. I keep learning and welcome and proof of such...
Old 05-13-2021, 07:03 PM   #12
BillW810

Quote:
I have never heard of an early vs. late '39 deluxe hood. I keep learning and welcome and proof of such...
I know the hood latches are different. The early latch is 2 rods that grab on to tabs at the edge of the grill. Apparently it didn't work well so Ford introduced the '40 style mid year. You can sort of see them in the whole hood pic if you zero in on the nose.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #13
Kube

Quote:
I know the hood latches are different. The early latch is 2 rods that grab on to tabs at the edge of the grill. Apparently it didn't work well so Ford introduced the '40 style mid year. You can sort of see them in the whole hood pic if you zero in on the nose.
Yes, the latch assembly was changed. However, the hood (proper) remained identical.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:50 PM   #14
BillW810

Quote:
Yes, the latch assembly was changed. However, the hood (proper) remained identical.
The cross brace is a little different too. The early hood had a smooth arc from to top to the side, pic 1. The later brace had a bend outward toward the hood side, pic 2, at the body line.

It does look like the early hinge plates do not come as close to the side as the later hood.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210513_141119.jpg (35.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20210513_141020.jpg (40.9 KB, 29 views)