Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
JimNNN

Default Westach 6 volt tachometer review, attn: zoegrant

I told zoegrant I would review the Westach 6 volt tachometer once I received it and got it installed, which I did today. It's made by Westberg Manufacturing, Inc., which is located in California I believe. I'm sorry I can't post pictures of my tach from my camera to this forum for some reason, but no matter. Mine looks like the one in the pic on the company website.

http://www.westach.com/

I ordered the unit for my '54 Ford wagon, which has the original 239 V-8. My purpose wasn't for performance, but to be able to see rpm differences at highway speeds when the overdrive is locked out vs. when it isn't. The tachometer is made in the USA, as I believe all of their instruments and gauges are.

The unit I ordered was the:
Model: 2CT54-6V
Price: $124.65

It has a 2" dial face with a front fascia/cover/trim that measures about 2-5/16" across, as I recall. This unit is designed for V8 engines, and has a top reading of 5000 rpm, which is sufficient for me, given my purpose. BE CAREFUL when ordering because they offer a couple of other units that are identical in appearance, but are made for 4 cylinder applications and won't work with Y blocks or flathead eights. One of the 4 cyl. tachs only goes up to 3500 rpm, so I'm thinking it may be for Model A's maybe, or even tractors.

As I said, the tach is 6 volt, and it can be used on either pos. or neg. ground systems, which is cool, but you need to follow the wiring instructions, which are incredibly easy. The specs stipulate that it's for standard point ignition.

Though I was only able to test it for 20-30 minutes today, I was very pleased with the performance of the tachometer. The needle function seemed very smooth up and down the rpm range, without even a hint of a hick up, even though I haven't made the final electrical connections yet. More than anything else, this smooth needle function was what really gave me the impression that it was a nice quality unit. Expensive and simple, but good quality, and definitely worth the somewhat higher price. Actually kind of a bargain considering the rarity of 6 volt tachs and the fact that it's made in the US.

The only real negative I can come up with is that it took about six weeks to deliver. I don't know if this is common, but they did email me about the delay, so that helped. I suspect it's a pretty small firm, so they may do the 6 volt stuff on an as-ordered basis. That's all I can think of for now...highly recommended at this point. If you have questions let me know.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
JimNNN

Default Re: Westach 6 volt tachometer review, attn: zoegrant

Oh yeah, my 239 Y block is doing about 2700 rpm at 50mph when not in overdrive, and about 2900 at 55 mph.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
zoegrant

JimNNN...thanks for posting this review of your new tach...I will be placing my order tomorrow...
BTW...what does your tach say at 55 mph in overdrive...
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
JimNNN

Unfortunately my overdrive isn't working. One of my ongoing projects for the near future. I drove the car again last night and the tach works great.

One other negative thing I should mention about the tach: the electrical leads are too short, about 13 or 14 inches, I'd say. Not a big deal. One of them is a ground and the other can be lengthened. Hopefully they'll ship it to you sooner than they did mine. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
40cpe

Here is one for sale on EarlyV8 classifieds
https://www.earlyfordv8.org/classifi...Parts&id=14452
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
JimNNN

One thing I may have forgotten to mention: The Westach 6 volt unit is also available with a 3" dial face for about 20 bucks more, I think. They don't have a picture of it on their website, but I'm guessing it might have larger numbers which could make it a better under dash application...the numbers on my 2" unit are a bit small. I think a lot of people put the 2" unit on their steering column, so the smaller numbers aren't a big deal with the closer proximity.

I didn't want to mount mine on the steering column...and I already have an oil pressure and temp gauge closer in under the dash, so my two inch tach is mounted a little far away. Even then I can still read the numbers, but some folks might not be able to.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
alandomer

Great review. I will be replacing my tachometer soon.
alandomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #8
zoegrant

JimNNN….and ...40coupe I received my new 6v tack from the vendor on the Ford v8 site. I am anxious to install it in my 55 club sedan but first have to get back to the garage to work on the overdrive but it has been too cold out there
Supposed to get up to 35 degrees so I will be able to work in the garage very soon. I am going to replace the kickdown with another one I have to see if the tranny will kick down when in overdrive which it has not been able to do.
Will post when I find the problem.....
Old 12-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #9
40cpe

So you have the transmission going into overdrive, not freewheeling?
Old 12-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #10
zoegrant

40cpe....worked on the overdrive today and now believe that the problem is inside the tranny...All the components of the overdrive system appear to be working as they should until the solenoid is installed in the tranny.
I have 6:35 volts to the solenoid and plunger works as it should but the minute I put the solenoid back into the tranny the voltage drops to 4.3 volts which is not enough to engage the solenoid.
The solenoid is installed at a 90 degree turn so that the plunger engages the pawl correctly. The pawl must be screwed up somehow inside the overdrive case. Not sure what is going on.
ALL COMMENTS AND SUGGESTONS ARE NEEDED..
Old 12-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #11
40cpe

Has the overdrive ever worked since you had the car?
Old 12-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #12
Anteek29

Sounds like a weak electrical grounding. Try running a temporary ground wire to the case of the solenoid.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:30 PM   #13
zoegrant

40CPE...yes, the overdrive worked well for many years and then one day it didn`t.

Anteek29...I will try another ground wire. That is about one of the few things I haven`t tried...…...will report back....
Old 12-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
zoegrant

Anteek...the ground wire did not work any better...

I am still thinking that it is in the tranny. here`s why......I can get the solenoid plunger to activate and work as it should if I am under the car holding the solenoid in my hand. The minute I slip the solenoid back in the tranny and tighten down the two bolts, the solenoid will not work, if I just slip in the solenoid in the proper manner with out installing the bolts then the plunger will grab the pawl as it should but the minute I tightened the bolts the solenoid will not work.
STILL LOOKING FOR ANSWERS BEFORE I PULL THE TRANNY....
Old 12-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #15
zoegrant

TO ALL TRANNY GUYS...a few random thoughts and questions....

#1..it appears that the blocker ring is not accepting the pawl and that the end of the pawl that fits into the blocker ring may have shifted out of position, preventing engagement of the pawl into the blocker ring...maybe the snap ring that holds the blocker assembly came off

#2...Is there a way to check to see if the blocker ring is in the proper position to accept the pawl " WITHOUT TAKING THE TRANNY OUT OF THE CAR " ?
Old 12-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #16
JimNNN

Zoegrant, I'm not a tranny guy (ha ha, that makes me laugh) but I have the exact same symptoms as you, so a couple of things:

Did you buy Randy Rundle's overdrive repair guide with the trouble shooting section?

In that trouble shooting guide (sorry, I don't have it with me know - it's in storage with my car) Randy has a procedure for possibly rectifying that issue (blocker ring not lined up with pawl) without taking out the OD transmission. Disclosure - I tried it with no success, but I'll try it again when I get a chance, as I may have done it "less than correct" the first time.

As I recall, you put the real axle up on jack stands so both tires are off the ground (Put chocks in front of the front tires, to prevent accidents.) The solenoid should be installed and the two bolts snugged down. Transmission in neutral. With chalk, mark the driveshaft/u joint AND the diff. housing next to the shaft as a reference point. You can then turn the rear tires in forward motion which will turn the drive shaft and power shaft. You go one complete turn of the drive shaft (that's why reference mark on diff is important).

When you get to one complete turn, stop, and loosen solenoid bolts till they're almost removed but not quite. Use a spacer of some sort to keep the solenoid pulled out as far as it can be from the housing while the loosened bolts still keep it in position. This keeps the pawl pulled out of the way of the blocker ring. Then turn the rear tires as before, but this time ONE EIGHTH TURN. This action is supposed to line the blocker ring up with the pawl. You then tighten the solenoid bolts down and the pawl and blocker ring might be lined up. Like I said I tried it, but may not have done it correctly.

Your best bet is to buy Rundle's repair guide if you haven't already.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #17
Anteek29

Zoegrant, Sorry the wire suggestion did not work...I was merely trying to understand why there was only 4.3 volts at the solenoid instead of 6 volts.
I admire your tenacity to find the fix for your OD problem!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:05 PM   #18
zoegrant

Anteek29...when under the car with the solenoid wired up and holding the solenoid in my hand I have 6.4 volts but when the solenoid is slipped into place the voltage drops to 4.3 volts......I have no idea why that is ?
Even when I run a completely new heavier wire with the solenoid ( set into) the tranny the volts drop to 4.3 volts.
The ground wire for the solenoid is the blue wire and comes from the rear kickdown switch contact on the switch...That blue wire is now a #14 gage but will change it to a # 10 gage wire to see if that does anything, I doubt it as it worked for many years with an #16 gage wire. Somehow the solenoid drops in voltage power when in the tranny.
I will work on it again first chance I get.
JIMNNN..I will order Randy`s book tomorrow...thanks to all.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #19
40cpe

I "think" the voltage drops when in the transmission because the shaft is contained and can't extend, causing the coil that extends the shaft to pull the current down.

I don't know how the weather is there, but have you verified that the governor operates the relay at about 30 mph? If so, drive the car on the road above the kick-in speed in second gear. This will get the mechanicals operating as normal AND provide about 7.5 v to the solenoid. The described condition of the kick down relay you took out of the car would be enough to stop the OD from working.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #20
zoegrant

40cpe...I agree with your theory 100 percent...it makes sense.
have another identical tranny in the cellar and hooked up a test with a battery, a relay and a solenoid. Installed the solenoid into the tranny that is in my cellar and the plunger engaged the pawl immediately. So the problem is internal not electrical.
I am going to try what JIMNNN suggested and will report back. Thanks..