Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Fraud Alert

I have been looking for a restored Model A Victoria and came across an ad in "Oodle Market Place". A very nice car is pictured but the owner is supposedly out of the country and has hired an agent to handle the transaction and shipment to you. This has got to be a fraud. The price is reasonable and it is way too convenient to take delivery. Don't fall for it. The pictures have been taken from an earlier ad in Hemmings.
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
77Birdman

Default Re: Fraud Alert

Yea, unfortunately that kind of stuff is out there. A couple of years ago I was looking for a used pickup. One came up locally with an unbelievable price with a story of a widow selling her late husbands truck. When I called, just so happened the truck had been moved to the other side of the country and would be delivered to my door upon payment!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
SSsssteamer

I recently was given the same type of opportunity to purchase an under priced 1957 Ford Skyliner in Seattle, WA. The out of area seller had photos of the beautiful car that he was liquidating for an out of country owner. Me being located only 90 minutes from the car's Seattle location, I told him that I would pay him in cash instantly, only if I could see the car first. He quickly withdrew his offer as no one could see the car before they bought it. Scam was written all over this sale.

Last edited by SSsssteamer; 11-14-2019 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
gdmn852

Unfortunately that crap happens,even when trying to sell a car ,I had a listing in Hemmings an offer was made that I accepted, but told him he would have to see the car before I accepted any money from him ,never heard from him again.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
DannL

Yep, the old scammers at work. Happened to me with a car online. I was ready to dish out some big bucks. But luckily I caught on really early in his game. So from then on I played him like a harp. It went on for several good weeks. I'm sure he got tired of me asking him for specifics about the car.

Last edited by DannL; 11-13-2019 at 11:53 PM.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
Synchro909

We saved one of our club members from being caught in a scam like that only a few weeks ago. My wife did a reverse search using the picture in the ad and up popped the original. The scammer disappeared very quickly when the intended victim sent him a link to the original picture!!
Old 11-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
ronn

Unfortunately that crap happens,even when trying to sell a car ,I had a listing in Hemmings an offer was made that I accepted, but told him he would have to see the car before I accepted any money from him ,never heard from him again.

WELL TO THE OPPOSITE OF THAT- i HAVE OFFERED TO BUY CARS SIGHT UNSEEN UP IN nEW eNGLAND, BECAUSE i AM 8 HRS AWAY. and send the cash now and pu in 2 months, when all cash is clear, and folks like yourself wont take an easy sale......
now that is too funny, because I have no problem accepting a deal like that.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
woofa.express

I bought a tractor site unseen. Now 2 years later it still remains unseen.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
woofa.express

At times I get fun from these scamsters who simply want your bank account details. I spend as long as they will remain on the line asking questions. The objective is to waste their time. Frequently they become angry with me.

Some tell me of all the benefits their product has to offer. I sound surprised and most interested. After they have exhausted their spiel they ask if I am interested, and here is the punch line. I reply "not particularly". Sometimes they too get angry with me. The objective achieved.

Tax department say I have an unpaid amount. I say "no worries, put a bill in the mail and I'll pay". Never get a bill of course.

The Nigerians are the best at this shit and many have now moved to Asia. Romantic scammers are the biggest haulers, and that has never involved me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scammer one.JPG (61.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg scammer two.JPG (29.4 KB, 28 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 11-14-2019 at 02:35 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
ETAModel

A local rancher fell for the scam; was sent tons of pics of a JD tractor, from the "Widow" of a farmer in the northwest. He sent a HUGE deposit, no tractor. Was somehow talked into sending MORE $$, no tractor.
This was 7 years ago...still no tractor, no refund.

Caveat Emptor
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
leo

I don't understand how these characters are able to conduct these "thefts" with impunity. Have we collectively lost our ability to hold anyone responsible for anything any more? If some of these bad actors were held accountable for their actions perhaps the word might get around to discourage this activity.....
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #12
holdover

When it comes to money, I trust few people. I sold a backhoe once on Ebay Buy It Now about 11 yrs ago. It was a nice Case 580B in excellent condition at a fair price. I had it listed wit many PICS and for terms I said I wanted a non refundable deposit either in cash in hand or USPMO for $250.00, no PAYPAL. I wanted the rest of the money within 30 days. Gave my contact info, The guy that bought it got in touch with me asked some questions and a few more pics, them purchased it. Got the MO within a few days and about 3 weeks later showed up with a huge equipment trailer and the cash. Funny thing is that about two weeks later looking at ebay saw my Backhoe being sold by a scammer using the same PICS that I posted. Contacted ebay and they pulled the add. I wonder if they have photo recognition hardware to alert them if someone tried to use the same pics. My motto for expensive items is don't buy it unless you see it and touch it. A plane ticket, even cross country is cheap insurance to make sure you are getting what you expect.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
mhsprecher

Ebay's fraud detection is sorely lacking in my experience. I think the biggest scams and frauds are around electronics.

I have "sold" an iPhone twice recently, but noticed some issues with seller location and mailing address. I called Ebay about each one. It seemed like I was talking to an off-shore call center with people whose command of the English language was questionable. I never was sure they understood me and I never heard back from Ebay. The customer service reps were sympathetic, but I didn't feel comfortable with the transactions so I cancelled both.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #14
gdmn852

Well he never did reply so assuming he was just scamming. I won’t sell it unless they see and drive it.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #15
chap52

Had a guy in Seattle drop his asking price $5000 on a 29 Four door. Then he said that his ex would be getting most of the money anyway, he was going out of town on business and his friend would be handling the transaction...huh? I, fortunately had already purchased my Tudor of I may have got deeper into this than would be wise.
I purchased my 30 Tudor from 2000 miles away, only from pictures and info from seller and was BLESSED by the entire transaction. I also had a guy buy my 52 F1 from me the same way and I know he was well pleased.
Sometimes it works, and sadly sometimes it don't... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #16
ronn

I don't understand how these characters are able to conduct these "thefts" with impunity. Have we collectively lost our ability to hold anyone responsible for anything any more? If some of these bad actors were held accountable for their actions perhaps the word might get around to discourage this activity.....

the cops dont care- so much of this going on a daily basis- impossible to keep up.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #17
History

One rainy day I get a call and am told I have won $250,000 and a Cadillac in either white or black and all I need to do is send the tax payment on these items by western union. The guy is speaking with an Indian accent so I'm immediately "woke" just by his voice. I start telling him how excited my wife will be, that all her friends will be jealous and we will be in the local newspaper. I just keep telling him that line of bs over and over. He almost seems like he wants to laugh as I'm sure he can't believe what an idiot he has on the hook. I tell him walmart is the closest place I can send a money order from and it's over 30 minutes away and I have no drivers license but I think I can find a ride.

Long story short,,,,, I kept this guy on the phone for over two and half hours ad even had him call me back as I was waiting on my ride. I can tell that he was starting to catch on and I would go into the how excited my egotistical wife was going to be, the newspaper, her friends being jealous. He said to at one point, " you can trust me because I'm a Christian". It was hard to not laugh out loud. I know I wasted a lot of time with him but feel it was worth it.

Another time I get a call and it's a similar story accept this time the guy is smarter and hangs up pretty quick. I was laughing about it on the way home from the movies with my wife, kids and a couple of their friends. The call was made on my cell and I just hit call back and acted intoxicated and told them what I'd won and I demanded it. They got pretty pissy pretty fast and hung up. So my son and his buddy "that jokes and picks non stop" took the number to school and had all their friends calling want to join the sweepstakes .

Luckily, I was smart enough to see the difference with the Nigerian prince or I would have missed out on the fortune that hasn't got here yet but it's coming, then I'll show you guys what being rich is like.
History is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #18
leo

Hey ronn, wonderful, so we've gotten to the point where because we've chosen to do nothing for whatever reason we've encouraged criminality to do whatever it wants with no fear of reprisal. These are things which cause societies to self destruct if anyone cares......
leo is offline   Reply With Quote