Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
huddy

Default Convert Horn to 12V

BACKGROUND:
I am blessed that I finally convinced my best friend's widow to sell me his '30 Coupe. He died three years ago and during his last year, was mostly too ill to keep up with the routine maintenance. I have a lot of small stuff to take care of, but otherwise it's an excellent driver and a great 10-footer. Fortunately it's been kept in an enclosed garage in a desert climate, so it has not suffered from being allowed to sit. I've driven it several times during this period and it's fine. I'm trailering it to upstate NY in a couple of weeks where it will find its new home in my garage. I will go through the routine maintenance items before I do any significant driving.

TODAY'S QUESTION:
The coupe is equipped with a 6V pos ground alternator. I'm planning to eventually convert it to 12V neg ground, maybe as a winter project when I won't be driving it. One of the the items I had planned to do was rewire the horn field coil for 12V - I have the info from MAFCA and the enameled magnet wire on hand. The question is this: the horn is a rare GIM manufacture rather than the more common Sparton horns. Would rewiring the field coil ruin the value of this rare item? Should I just find another horn to convert and keep the GIM as is?
huddy is offline   Reply With Quote