Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #21
philipswanson

Default Re: What are the must haves for you're shop?

At least $10k in the bank for parts. That's the minimum.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #22
Hoop

"Swamp coolers put out a lot of humidity, plus don't work well when the air is humid to begin with."

Great! A swamp cooler dispute.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #23
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Has anyone read about the latest in Loonyville (California)? Sacramento County is trying to outlaw anyone working on their own car in their own garage anywhere in the county! Minor things like change oil and brake pads will OK, but not much else.
Currently, you are not allowed to dismantle a car anywhere in California unless you have a dismantler's license as in an auto wrecker. That law is already in force and is a DMV statute. Not just in Sacramento but anywhere in the state.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #24
cmbrucew

My fork lift comes in handy, and good lighting. Shed, or storage container outside for shelves. Good solid work/welding bench.

Bruce
Old 07-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #25
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Currently, you are not allowed to dismantle a car anywhere in California unless you have a dismantler's license as in an auto wrecker. That law is already in force and is a DMV statute. Not just in Sacramento but anywhere in the state.
Ha, another reason to stay out of California.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #26
1ton

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Less clutter. Keep it clean and you wont lose things like I do in my shop. Time for a major cleanup.
1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #27
adileo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
A lift, the older I get the more I like it! But then MIG & TIG & Gas, lath, and on and on, LOL.
You guys can tell by my questions I’m at best an apprentice. But lucky enough to have have bought a house with a three car garage with 14’ ceiling.

I’m with Jerry - aside from air tools and good hand tools, a lift is worth it’s weight in gold and in my zip code heat is also money well spent, helps keep me off the couch and away from TV.

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #28
oldford2

I have a small shop (18x 26) insulated, but good for an engine rebuild every year. I have a pellet stove, window a/c, engine hoist, grinder, and a valve grinder (yes, I still butt grind valves, no adjustable lifters), air compressor. I have my drill press and metal cutting/forming equipment in my house basement shop. So good exercise up and down for some projects.
I have to jack up and use stands for pulling engines and usual work (brakes, pulling engines, etc.). More exercise. I have a buddy that does welding for me.
The only thing I could use is someone to cleanup and put tools away at the end of the day Because when I use a tool I lay it on the nearest flat surface. At 80 I never remember where I put it
john

Last edited by oldford2; 07-08-2019 at 06:58 PM.
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #29
swedishsteel

A couple things I didn't see mentioned: a rotisserie and an adjustable height stool on wheels. Having a car on a rotisserie enables you to do all the work at a comfortable height. I have a couple old office chairs that adjust up and down and roll to where I need them--they also work good for "contemplation" with a cold drink as was mentioned above. I built a 11' tall gantry with chain hoist with a 10' x 6 inch I beam with 6 inch castors under it, and have a 19' x 6" I beam with electric chain hoist with one end on a swivel anchored on one of the vertical 5x6's in the wall and the other end supported with a10' x 4" pipe on a 4'x 6" I beam on 6" casters, so it swings in an arch. Being able to lift and roll everything is essential--because the way you lay your shop out now will change as you acquire more/better equipment and tools, even as you change projects. Have fun. Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #30
TJ

delete

Last edited by TJ; 07-08-2019 at 07:06 PM.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #31
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Has anyone read about the latest in Loonyville (California)? Sacramento County is trying to outlaw anyone working on their own car in their own garage anywhere in the county! Minor things like change oil and brake pads will OK, but not much else.
Nothing surprises me about this state, but I have not heard of this in Sacramento. After all this is the land of fruits, nuts, and libiots, If they pass this law there will be a mass exodus of car guys(taxpayers).
Anyway for a good shop you need a refrigerator for beer and a nice big strong workbench with a big vise on the end.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #32
Shu47

In addition to the many good suggestions I would put in a toilet and sink if you can.
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #33
39portlander

A Yeti to guard your swamp cooler of course On a serious note, must have for me was a TP blasting media cabinet and parts washer.

My garage is 20 feet from the kitchen fridge, beer is not a problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1156.jpg (62.5 KB, 34 views)
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #34
Zeke3

Don't forget the stereo to play your AC/DC albums like 39Portlander, to keep the Yeti happy.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #35
deuce_roadster

In addition to already listed....A hot water heater. Then you can have a stackable washer/dryer like in an apartment sized one for washing rags, polishing cloths etc. Nice for washing hands too in your bathroom. A welding table with spark shield. I have a very nice one a friend helped me build. An air operated tire machine. One other have thing, everything on wheels. My tire machine all welders, welding table, plasma cutter, blast cabinet, table saw all are on wheels to store and then move where you want to use.
Since you are planning a lift you will need a high ceiling. My shop is only 32 x 60 with 18' high walls but I have a large bay with lift and at each end I have built mezzanines for part storage. My heated room is heavily insulated so I can work through the winter.
Oh, 1 more thing, CD player with speakers.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #36
tubman

"deuce_roadster" mentioned a mezzanine. If you have high ceilings, (14' or more), you really should have one. I have a 40 X 30 shop and put in a 30 X 8 mezzanine across the back with an 8 X 8 "office" area between the main mezzanine and the stairs. I wish I had made it twice as large. I have pallet racking across the back wall of the mezzanine area for parts storage; it would have been nice to have had the pallet racking on both sides. You really only need the high ceilings for clearance on a lift. Unless you have a sailboat or an RV, most of the space between 7' and 14' is just wasted.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #37
RalphM

I’d be happy just to have a roll up door for getting cars in and out of it easier. Opening and closing the two 8’ x 12’ insulated doors gets old fast.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:35 PM   #38
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
"Swamp coolers put out a lot of humidity, plus don't work well when the air is humid to begin with."

Great! A swamp cooler dispute.

... barrel blower fans kick out some air. We just sweated it out when I lived there. Lots of drinking water or whatever.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-09-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:38 PM   #39
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
A Yeti to guard your swamp cooler of course On a serious note, must have for me was a TP blasting media cabinet and parts washer.

My garage is 20 feet from the kitchen fridge, beer is not a problem

They have one of those outside a fountain shop near me. They put football jerseys on it. Thought about doing some cutouts with plywood in the woods to confuse passerby's.

Seriously though. As many tools as you can get. A lift is nice as well as comfortable environment. Sounds like you have a pretty good start, better then most.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-09-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:41 AM   #40
Vics Stuff

A real must is a slop sink to keep things cleaned as well as a toilet.
I have everything mentioned above and still find myself wanting some other cool tools.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote