Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2019, 12:16 AM   #1
rrich1

Default I think I killed my starter

I'm hoping it is just the starter and nothing more.

While waiting for a carb rebuild kit to come I sprayed carb cleaner in the carb to see if that would help with my starting issue. I have been able to start it but it will not stay running for more than a few seconds, at the most 30 seconds. Yesterday I tried it a few times getting it to start. On the last attempt the truck just abruptly stopped turning over. Pressed the starter pedal and nothing. No sound. I went to try and crank the engine by hand and it wouldn't crank at all. I previously set the timing with the indicator pin and was able to crank it one handed. Now nothing.

I had planned to change the oil today and drop the pan. After dropping the pan everything in that area looked fine to me.

I next took out the starter. Having never messed with a starter (electrical and I don't normally get along). Having watched one video online it shows the Bendix being able to at least spin. Mine does not and possibly seized? There is also a hole that I found in the case.

Also when I went to crank it the crank shaft pulley seems wobbly. Is that normal? I tried to crank it after dropping the pan and taking the starter out. The crank handle seems to spin and not actually turn the engine. I don't see how it would have stripped after just being able to do it one handed earlier in the week.

I have attached pics of the starter and underside of the block. Any advice I'd much appreciated. Thanks.
​​​​​​​

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
rrich1 is offline   Reply With Quote