Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2018, 04:15 AM   #1
Mike/NY

Default 39 water pump squirting oil!

39 Ford right hand water pump started squirting oil between body and pulley. Left hand does not. Engine is NOS 1939-40 short block with new Carpenter pumps. Engine has about 2000 miles on it and pumps were bought in the late 90īs but installed about 10 years ago. Obviously sat quite some time. Runs cool and no other issues (so far). See picture, this is how much oil comes out after driving about 100 yards but with higher rmp it blows up all the way to the inside of the hood. Not much but enough to soil the engine bay.

What is the cause and remedy, new pump? If so, which one do you recommend? Drake (out of stock), Carpenter (in stock). I do not have have the original pumps, gave those away years ago so cannot send to Skip. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carpenter water pump.jpg (31.9 KB, 72 views)
Mike/NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
Mart

Default Re: 39 water pump squirting oil!

Yeah, mine do that too.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
RalphM

I have lots of water pump cores!
We were just talking about what to do with all the left over parts. For the cost of postage(flat rate box) I’ll send you a pair, or better yet I can send to skip with your return info.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
alanwoodieman

too much oil pressure is getting to the pump bronze bushing. old time cure was to remove the pump and stuff pipe cleaners down the oil hole in the pump body to stem the flow.
alanwoodieman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #5
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
too much oil pressure is getting to the pump bronze bushing. old time cure was to remove the pump and stuff pipe cleaners down the oil hole in the pump body to stem the flow.
Interesting.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
tubman

Like the vast majority of single edge razor blades aren't used for shaving, I'll bet that the majority of pipe cleaners sold these days are not used to clean pipes.

It actually sounds like a workable temporary fix.

Last edited by tubman; 06-11-2018 at 11:08 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
rotorwrench

It seems like the block has little catch scuppers for the pump oil feed. They are splash lubricated that way from the timing chest so not under pressure. A little controlled blockage would slow the flow but the old pumps do have a bushing so they need oil too. Don't slow it too much or the pump bushings will suffer.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
Mike/NY

Thanks for the replies. I might go with Skips pumps and try to fix the leak on the pump as advised to have a back-up pair.

RalphM, thanks for the offer, Iīll be in touch
Old 06-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #9
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike/NY View Post
39 Ford right hand water pump started squirting oil between body and pulley. Left hand does not. Engine is NOS 1939-40 short block with new Carpenter pumps. Engine has about 2000 miles on it and pumps were bought in the late 90īs but installed about 10 years ago. Obviously sat quite some time. Runs cool and no other issues (so far). See picture, this is how much oil comes out after driving about 100 yards but with higher rmp it blows up all the way to the inside of the hood. Not much but enough to soil the engine bay.

What is the cause and remedy, new pump? If so, which one do you recommend? Drake (out of stock), Carpenter (in stock). I do not have have the original pumps, gave those away years ago so cannot send to Skip. Thanks.
Skip can rebuild aftermarket pumps he does them all the time. Shipping price has increased to $15.00 and takes about week. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRODUCTS-V3.jpg (104.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
rotorwrench

If you use the late type pumps that use bearings instead of bushings, the oil ports can be plugged but the bearing set up blocks the oil flow either way.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
Mike/NY

That is correct. I talked to Dennis Carpenter customer service and their pumps today use the bearings and have no oil passages drilled and therefore cannot leak oil. I am waiting to talk to Bart, a fellow who was at Carpenterīs in the 90īs to ask if their pumps at the time were original style. If so, I will try to loosen the pulley first as that might be the cause of the leak?
Old 06-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #12
Mike/NY

Talked to Bart at Carpenterīs, the Dennis Carpenter pumps sold in the late 90s were made in India and have a bushing (not a bearing) and a rubber seal to prevent oil from leaking as there is an oil passage to the bushing. The rubber seal is dry rotted and has started to leak oil. Most likely the other side will do the same and they might get worse. There is nothing that can be done to these pumps as there are no more rebuilding kits for them available (does not work with the original kits).

The only way to fix the issue is to swap both pumps, probably best go with Skip.