Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
daltonathomas94

Default Starter heat soak

This is probably a worn out topic, but I can't seem to find much in the archives (I could just be ignorant/ lazy/ both) only one I could find is relating to the starter wrap.

Was there any heat shield that may have been a later add on to help with this issue? Pictures of yours if you found or made one? The starter is just so close to the exhaust pipe after the manifolds connect. Seems like a poor design when you have heat coming in on both sides.

The wrap idea seems sound, but like an emergency mylar blanket, I feel like it would trap heat when it did get in and just cause a longer period till you could start.

I haven't yet cleaned all the connections so I know that will be mentioned. Just seems like a good bit of extra insurance.

'37 model 77 pickup w/59ab stock exhaust

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
daltonathomas94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Starter heat soak

Would it be possible for you to post photos showing how close your exhaust is to your starter? Include far away and close up photos.

Is it possible to fabricate a sheet metal piece to shield your starter?

Instead of wrapping the starter, first try wrapping the exhaust with heat shield wrap.
Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4U4b7lifF8
Also: Google Heat shield exhaust wrap for more info.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
daltonathomas94

The truck is taking a break today so it will be a while for the photos, but I'd say it's about 1 1/2 in. away from the starter.

Fabrication is possible, but won't be pretty. Hoping for something that was prefab

I'll definitely be avoiding the starter blanket, my gut just says snake oil.

I did think about the exhaust wrap, actually the first thing to come to mind, but I'll need to do the "soopee woadah" and patch up some possible leaks I'm smelling first.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
6lucky13

The '36 cars have a passenger side engine splash pan which shields the starter from the exhaust. Perhaps the '37 pans do the same:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...937+splash+pan
Old 08-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonathomas94 View Post
This is probably a worn out topic, but I can't seem to find much in the archives (I could just be ignorant/ lazy/ both) only one I could find is relating to the starter wrap.

Was there any heat shield that may have been a later add on to help with this issue? Pictures of yours if you found or made one? The starter is just so close to the exhaust pipe after the manifolds connect. Seems like a poor design when you have heat coming in on both sides.

The wrap idea seems sound, but like an emergency mylar blanket, I feel like it would trap heat when it did get in and just cause a longer period till you could start.

I haven't yet cleaned all the connections so I know that will be mentioned. Just seems like a good bit of extra insurance.

'37 model 77 pickup w/59ab stock exhaust

In my opinion, your flathead as well as it's exhaust does not make enough heat to cause any adverse issues with your starter. If it does, I'd suggest you have an issue with your starter that needs to be rectified. Or perhaps your engine is running way too hot. I doubt the later is the case as I'd think you'd have mentioned that.
I have had a number of very high performance cars and the ONLY ones that benefited from a heat shield were the big block Chevys. And even then, only those that were built well beyond their original level of performance.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
daltonathomas94

The splash pan is an interesting idea, don't think I wasn't too go that far for the solution.

And I get what you mean about not heating enough. The radiator was damaged at some point by the fan and crudely soldered, might be a bit small anyway, but the only time I really get up passed 200° is idling after a long stretch of freeway.
Street driving even in 90°+ sits around 180°

I'll just start hunting corrosion

Old 08-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #7
koates

Flathead V8 starter motors in a stock situation do not require any heat shielding. Maybe your starter internals are not up to scratch regarding the field coils insulation tape or the armature windings could be crisp from old age. I suggest you have the starter overhauled by some one who knows what they are doing such as an auto electrician. Of course all battery and starter and ground cables have to be heavy gauge OO b&s for a 6 volt system. 12 volt size cable is just not good enough. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
supereal

If the bushings in your starter starter are worn, it will allow the armature to drag on the field shoes when the starter is engaged. When the starter is hot, the windings gain resistance preventing full power.. I agree with the post above. With a six volt system in good condition you shouldn't have the problem.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:31 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Starter heat soak can be a big issue with 4-tube full length headers tightly wrapped around a starter in a high output engine in a small engine compartment. This just doesn't apply to just about any flathead application in an original body that I can think of. There is just not that much heat that close to the starter to be an issue. As already stated, I would look elsewhere for a starter problem.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
red carr

On my 50 with 8ba the header sits about 3/4 inch from starter so not even much room for heat shield but will fab one. Seems like the stock manifold wasn't that close. May go back to stock set up. btw,it has duals
Old 09-07-2019, 04:12 PM   #11
37 Cab

My car has Fenton cast iron headers and the header is so close the stud for the battery cable had to be ground off some for clearance. I have no issues starting even on the hottest day after extended driving. I think you need to look elsewhere for your starting issue.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

No way you are going to get that much out of a single exhaust pipe. If your still determined to do it, it is fairly simple. Cut a piece of thin metal you can bend to shape. Cut a tab into it and use the tap to attach it to the exhaust pipe with a radiator clamp.

Last edited by JSeery; 09-07-2019 at 04:56 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote