Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
Brendan

Default cast iron header exhaust leak

do i need a special gasket between the block and the header? and do i need to run the rings that go into the header? also where do i get a flange gasket?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model a header.jpg (13.8 KB, 34 views)

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
zzlegend

Default Re: cast iron header exhaust leak

Here is the one I run. No rings. No problem.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1-...anifold-gasket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trog motor1.jpg (65.0 KB, 124 views)
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
Brendan

i have the same gasket, where would i get a flange gasket?

Old 05-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
redmodelt

Looks like the setup in the photos uses the standard exhaust to header doughnut type gasket. If you are mounting yours different, you may have to do some searching or make your own. Better auto parts stores carry material that you can fab one up. do an on line search with the inside and out side diameters you need. If nothing else this might help with what cars they fit so you can ask for them at the parts counter. Or contact the dealer you bought it from.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
john in illinois

Snyders and others sell a high temp silicone exhaust sealant. I have used it on a muffler joint and it does not burn off.

Speedway also reccomends it for flathead exhaust gaskets. Might seal your gasket. I do not know of any flange gaskets for model A.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
racingrufus

Check the face of the header, after I bolted my header to block I could slide a .018 gauge between block and header. I had to have it milled. I found flang gaskets at O Rilleys.
racingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
do i need a special gasket between the block and the header? and do i need to run the rings that go into the header? also where do i get a flange gasket?
This is the old version header Snyder purchased from someone I will not name. The tooling was horrible and the design was bad. It was near impossible to keep the flange faces flat when machining them. I refused to machine them after a couple of runs because they tended to reflect on my machining.

The one ZZ has is my new design and it is more stable. It is my goal to machine nothing that came from the guy Snyder bought the tooling from. the Thomas head is in the process of being replaced.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
zzlegend

Thanks for the clarification Tod. I assume Brendan's best chance is to have his surfaced?
Old 05-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
tThe Thomas head is in the process of being replaced.
Tod
Hi Tod. Just curious. What is meant by the "Thomas Head" and why is it being replaced.

Also zzlegend, what head do you have on your engine in the picture.

Thanks.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Hi Tod. Just curious. What is meant by the "Thomas Head" and why is it being replaced.

Thanks.
That's a 6.1 head by Tod , from Snyders. Just like the exhaust header, it was a nice fit and finish.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
That's a 6.1 head by Tod , from Snyders. Just like the exhaust header, it was a nice fit and finish.
Yes, They look nice. I have a 5.5 that I have yet to install.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
racingrufus

Tod, I wish I could have bought your header from Snyders but I did not about it. After I got it flat I found that it would also interfere with the Webber intake manifold. I had to have header milled with a .010 tilt downward and the intake manifold milled with a .010 tilt upward. I put it together and it works.
racingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post

Thanks.
It looks like this. I make iron for myself and aluminum for Snyder, since it was his that got me into it. It is being replaced because the former tooling was just horrible. Made by someone who has no business trying to make patterns.

Tod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170110_160449.jpg (51.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170110_160525.jpg (42.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #14
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingrufus View Post
Tod, I wish I could have bought your header from Snyders but I did not about it. After I got it flat I found that it would also interfere with the Webber intake manifold. I had to have header milled with a .010 tilt downward and the intake manifold milled with a .010 tilt upward. I put it together and it works.
I just got my hedder from Snyder's and painted it. I hope I don't run into this problem.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #15
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
i have the same gasket, where would i get a flange gasket?
I got that gasket from Snyder's. It isn't in their catalog. Talk to Tom.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:33 AM   #16
Tod

What I found out after making my header and fitting it, using the Weber intake set up that Snyder sells is that some of the manifolds Snyder buys are different in distance from the block outwards. The first header I made and machined using a new Weber manifold and carb fit just fine. I proceeded to machine the run of headers accordingly. Then I heard about some interference. I re-tested what I had and there was no interference. I took the Weber intake over and there was no interference on a returned header. The we looked at the two intakes and there was an obvious difference. When I got back to the shop I modeled up my own intake designed for Weber carbs. It is just a matter of time until I offer my own version that will never interfere with the header and that doesn't have the eye-sore of a welded in plug in the bottom.

Tod
Old 06-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #17
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I got that gasket from Snyder's. It isn't in their catalog. Talk to Tom.
i did talk to someone there, it is not in there catalog. i got one.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #18
Synchro909

I would have thought that those who go to the trouble and expense of producing things like these headers would want to maximise their market. That being so, why the heck do they not make them so that they can be used on RHD cars? It would only be a matter of routing the exhaust gasses forward before turning them down so that they could be directed under the steering box. That is, male them mirror image. There is plenty of room to do it but it seems nobody considers RHD (There are many things we can't get for RHD).
Before any of you suggest I make them, forget it. The market is not big enough for solely RHD headers and for me to make a universal one, under the rules of your current President, sending manufactured stuff into the US is not on. (Not being political) Besides, that would be too many makers in a limited market.
For that matter, why did Henry do it the wrong way? He'd have been much better advised to reverse the exhaust manifold. Driving a RHD Model A in warm weather is NOT comfortable for the hot air coming in around the pedals which cannot be sealed.

Last edited by Synchro909; 06-03-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:21 PM   #19
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I would have thought that those who go to the trouble and expense of producing things like these headers would want to maximise their market. That being so, why the heck do they not make them so that they can be used on RHD cars? It would only be a matter of routing the exhaust gasses forward before turning them down so that they could be directed under the steering box. That is, male them mirror image. There is plenty of room to do it but it seems nobody considers RHD (There are many things we can't get for RHD).
Before any of you suggest I make them, forget it. The market is not big enough for solely RHD headers and for me to make a universal one, under the rules of your current President, sending manufactured stuff into the US is not on. (Not being political) Besides, that would be too many makers in a limited market.
For that matter, why did Henry do it the wrong way? He'd have been much better advised to reverse the exhaust manifold. Driving a RHD Model A in warm weather is NOT comfortable for the hot air coming in around the pedals which cannot be sealed.
Hey Synchro909,
You answer your own question. That is , not enough of a market to warrant such.
Tod is about the ONLY person now making patterns and finished product for our hobby, on a large scale. He has to make a living of this and cannot make stuff just because. There must not be many people left who can start from scratch and make perfect looking/fitting parts ...start to finish.

This thing about the ill fitting OLD cast iron headers, has been discussed for years now. I guess until all read and understand what he is saying, some will unfortunately buy the old version without knowing of its shortcomings.

Last edited by hardtimes; 06-03-2017 at 07:22 PM. Reason: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #20
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Synchro909,
You answer your own question. That is , not enough of a market to warrant such.
Tod is about the ONLY person now making patterns and finished product for our hobby, on a large scale. He has to make a living of this and cannot make stuff just because. There must not be many people left who can start from scratch and make perfect looking/fitting parts ...start to finish.

This thing about the ill fitting OLD cast iron headers, has been discussed for years now. I guess until all read and understand what he is saying, some will unfortunately buy the old version without knowing of its shortcomings.
With respect Hardtimes, I don't think you read my post properly. I realise there would not be a large enough market for RHD only headers but what I am saying is "Why not make them universal?" There is no reason the one header can't be used on either car, thus having a larger market.