Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #21
Darrell S

Default Re: Wiring Dash and instrument cluster 1940

All good tips depending which route to go. Removing the seat and the return springs on clutch and brake helps too.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #22
stevejenkins2010

Thank you gentlemen for the great suggestions! I completely rewired my 1940 standard 2 door sedan new wiring harness. Almost everything worked completely after rewiring : temperature gauge, oil pressure, battery indicator, headlights taillights, and it started up the first time!

I did unbolt the front seat and pushed it towards the back to make it easy to access underneath the dash. It did take some contortions do you remove the instrument cluster, as I am in my 60s and I’m not as skinny as I used to be.

The only problem I’m having right now is the gas gauge. The gas gauge reads more than full, another words the needle is to the right of the full Mark. While I think my gas tank is pretty well full, the needle on the gauge doesn’t seem to be going down on. I suspect the gas gauge Might need calibration, or perhaps the sending unit is somehow wrong? Does This require pulling out the gas tank and checking something?

Thanks again for your help everybody!

Have a great day!
stevejenkins2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #23
JayChicago

Your fuel gauge symptom sounds like it has an aftermarket sending unit. They are all notoriously inaccurate, use different technology than the original. Gauge may read over-full until tank gets half empty then read 1/4 full when empty, or some other inaccurate reading. Takes some improvising with an aftermarket sender to get it to provide a correct current for the original gauge, and then may not be accurate thru the entire scale.

Sender is easily accessible. The trunk floor has a removable access panel. Then sender can be easily removed from within the trunk.

A working original King-Seely sender would be nice to have. They are not being reproduced. Originals do show up on ebay. A known-to-be-good one won't be cheap.

Last edited by JayChicago; 04-06-2020 at 09:43 PM.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote