Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
DirtyDan

Default 1936 Ford - Wiring Stock Gauges for 12 volt - Questions???

I am wrapping up the build of my 36 5w coupe and I am trying to get my stock gauges to work w/ 12 volt power. For reference, I am running a 1952 8RT Truck motor with a Powergen 75 amp alternator. I am using a modern blade type wiring harness made by Haywire.

Ammeter:
I am going to assume I cannot use this since I am running a much higher amperage alternator and it will just peg my 30 amp gauge?

Fuel gauge:
I wired the gauge w/ the Runtz on the top terminal and the sending unit wire on the bottom terminal. I grounded the Runtz to the stud on the dash for the gauge nut. My gauge will not move from E. I have pulled the sending unit and checked the ohms and they change as I move the float up and down, but the gauge still does not move. I am getting 12v of power to the Runtz and it shows 6volt at the opposing terminal.

It seems as if my gauge is broken... Is there a procedure to test?

Oil Pressure Gauge:

I have installed the Runtz on the top terminal and have run the sending unit wire to the bottom terminal on the gauge. I am using the stock sending unit from the 1952 motor. I get no movement at the gauge. I have tried the sending unit from my original 36 motor and it will not take a reading either (this sender interferes w/ my throttle pedal linkage also).

What sending unit do I need to use to run the stock oil pressure gauge while running a 1952 motor? Is the oil pressure higher w/ these motors? My gauge only reads to 50 lbs.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote