Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #21
P.S.

Default Re: Registration Fee$$$

You guys complaining about your state's fees.....

Out here in California, we pay the highest vehicle registration fees in the country. I have 5 cars, all come due in January. It will be about $900 for the registration renewals this time. And, like Fullraceflathead said, they are going to be even higher next renewal. Our governor never met a fee or tax he didn't like.

Here is the renewal bills for the Model A's. They go up every year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA DMV fees 2018.jpg (75.9 KB, 42 views)
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:24 AM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
You guys complaining about your state's fees.....

Out here in California, we pay the highest vehicle registration fees in the country. I have 5 cars, all come due in January. It will be about $900 for the registration renewals this time. And, like Fullraceflathead said, they are going to be even higher next renewal. Our governor never met a fee or tax he didn't like.

Here is the renewal bills for the Model A's. They go up every year!
Old 11-28-2017, 05:46 AM   #23
ronn

would be "cheaper" to buy a 2nd home in another state then to pay those Cali fees!

ps NJ looking better every day.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #24
Mike Peters

http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/ve...s/antique.aspx

Vehicle registration fees for pre war vehicles in New York and California are punitive. How many pre war cars do you ever see on the road besides yours? Zero to none, right? So based on useage, how much road damage and/or pollution do our old cars create? Just about none at all. Wisconsin is 5 bucks for life of ownership with some restrictions. Should be that way in all states. Call your state representative.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #25
P.S.

Thanks for rubbing it in, Mike!

Actually, the fees shown in my registration invoices above have no restrictions, unlike the antique plates for $5 you mentioned and linked. Wife and I drive Model A’s very frequently for club activities and sometimes just a nice drive for ice cream. According to your state’s website, 99% of our Model A driving would be against the law. So, to compare apples with apples, what would it cost in your state to license a Model A for unrestricted driving?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #26
Mike Peters

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
PS, do you live in Virginia? Thomas Jefferson?
I may be incorrect, but if you drive your Model A only for pleasure, ( ice cream, club events, etc, and NOT for commuting to work, you would be legal in Wisconsin. Five dollar plate for life. Otherwise, you would be looking at a Collector's plate. Stew Masche described Wisconsin collector plates very well on the first page. Big bucks. Perhaps another Wisconsin resident could chime in here? mike
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #27
P.S.

I live in the part of California which is slated to be split off into the 51st state.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #28
Ed Wendell

For you folks with the low license fees, are your cars taxed as personal property by the local tax accessor? I thought that was the case in many states with low license fees. Many years ago that was the case for a neighbor who moved to Tenn.
Just curious.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #29
barkleydave

Kentucky Antique plate one time fee. Yearly Personal Property tax. Varies by county.
I had one car the tax bill was .61 cents then they upgraded their software and next year 56 bucks! Do not even think about a new car..after sales tax and personal property tax!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #30
chap52

In Arizona the registration fee is cheap , about $20, but if you plan on using your "Historic Vehicle" plate (which you already paid extra for) they charge you an additional $10 special plate fee each year. My last one year renewal was $30.24, no complaints here.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #31
ccb360

Virginia: One time $50.00 registration fee which is classified "permanent". Application has a signature requirement that the vehicle is maintained in safe working order.

License plates (both front & rear):
Option 1 - year of issue plates (matches model year) which must be presented with the
registration application.
Option 2 - two styles of state "Antique" plates to chose from and are provided at no extra charge.

Driving restrictions are similar to other states. (Yes, ice cream runs are allowed)
ccb360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #32
ccb360

VA - Taxes vary by locality. Some none. Mine is $5.88 per antique vehicle.

Last edited by ccb360; 11-30-2017 at 11:09 AM.
ccb360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleydave View Post
Kentucky Antique plate one time fee. Yearly Personal Property tax. Varies by county.
I had one car the tax bill was .61 cents then they upgraded their software and next year 56 bucks! Do not even think about a new car..after sales tax and personal property tax!
I'm surprised to hear Kentucky has such a tax. I used to live in a state with personal property tax, and the people called it the "liar tax". You were supposed to make a list of everything you owned, and pay tax on it year after year.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #34
holdover

I live in a rural county in Virginia with no personal property tax on older vehicles. I believe 25 yrs or older is the bench mark. My four Model As are all worth more than my daily drivers, waiting for the politicians to realize that. They are always looking for ways to raise money so they can give it away... and as said lifetime antique plate is 50.00 for as long as you own it.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote