Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Paint warning!

I am by NO means a GENIUS painter, but have had a lot of experience, starting out painting John Deere & International Cotton Pickers, using QUALITY Synthetic Enamel with Lacquer Reducer. I've seen some WEIRD things!!!
1-Leo, an experienced painter, used a little Dish Soap in his sanding bucket, on a Mercury Bobcat. While doing the FINAL detailing, the paint BLEW off in SHEETS, shortly he had the WHOLE car STRIPPED!!
2-Ed had his '62 Mercury painted @ Earl Scheib, after 3 years in the SUN, it faded, he complained & they LAFFED.
3-One Guy mixed up Synthetic BLACK enamel, with a hardener, even after using his shaker, it had small soft lumps. WHIZZED it in an OLD Blender, let it sit overnight, to dissipate the BUBBLES & it worked well. After sitting in the SUN for 3 days, he color sanded & buffed it, BEAUTIFUL!!!
4-Has anyone used that "masking" spray in a rattle can? It goes on in a light BLUE, like the protective coating on WHITEWALLS. Washes off with PLAIN water!
Bill "Painter"
Old 03-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #22
H. L. Chauvin

I remember a guy in the early 1950's who used to have the shiniest car in our area ..... a Studebaker .... the first, later designed model that people used to say they never knew whether the driver was coming or going.

Anyway, he never drove far enough to an auto parts store, so he always waxed his car with locally obtained "KIWI" shoe polish from a grocery store.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #23
rusty12

"Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Where do you get off paying just $500 per gallon? I hear that a gallon of black, reducer and hardener will cost me a tad over $750 here in mid California."

I have a question. I have had many cars painted but I know absolutely nothing about painting cars. That being said, this question may sound totally stupid and there may not even be an answer to it. But here goes:

Regarding this 750.00 gallon of black paint, reducer and hardener:
How much will this cover? In other words, will (could?) this gallon of paint cover the entire top side of a Model A body (body assembly, fenders, aprons, etc), or will this just paint one fender, or two fenders or two fenders and a hood, or ??

Or, to put it another way, how many gallons of this paint would you need to paint all of the sheet metal on an average Model A? For simplicity purposes, let's just assume the car is a 1930 coupe and the entire car will be painted black.

I am not looking to start painting my cars but just curious as to what you can get out of a 750.00 gallon of automotive paint. I understand there are probably dozens of variables. I always let the "pros" paint my cars and gladly pay their bills.

Thanks for taking the time to respond one way or the other!!!

Last edited by rusty12; 03-31-2017 at 12:40 PM.
rusty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty12 View Post
"Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Where do you get off paying just $500 per gallon? I hear that a gallon of black, reducer and hardener will cost me a tad over $750 here in mid California."

I have a question. I have had many cars painted but I know absolutely nothing about painting cars. That being said, this question may sound totally stupid and there may not even be an answer to it. But here goes:

Regarding this 750.00 gallon of black paint, reducer and hardener:
How much will this cover? In other words, will (could?) this gallon of paint cover the entire top side of a Model A body (body assembly, fenders, aprons, etc), or will this just paint one fender, or two fenders or two fenders and a hood, or ??

Or, to put it another way, how many gallons of this paint would you need to paint all of the sheet metal on an average Model A? For simplicity purposes, let's just assume the car is a 1930 coupe and the entire car will be painted black.

I am not looking to start painting my cars but just curious as to what you can get out of a 750.00 gallon of automotive paint. I understand there are probably dozens of variables. I always let the "pros" paint my cars and gladly pay their bills.

Thanks for taking the time to respond one way or the other!!!

What is your gun? The higher the quality of the gun with the adequate air flow will atomize the paint into finer molecules causing it to laydown better. Kinda like which will be smoother, a bathtub full of BBs, --or a tub full of golf balls. The smoother the surface, the less paint you will need, AND the less work involved in colorsanding to get it level. So again, what kind of gun, air hose connections, etc.??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #25
nhusa

Paint??

What is paint?
In my 72 years, I don't think I have ever heard of anything called paint except a horse.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #26
rusty12

Thanks for the reply, Terry.

Like I said, I asked this strictly for curiosity purposes.

Since the gun and equipment are important variables, let's assume that the paint is going through a sprayer and hose assembly similar to what you use in your shop. Also, let's assume the sheet metal is properly and professionally prepped. Or, how many gallons of black paint would you need to paint the subject 1930 all black coupe?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer this rather vague question!!!
rusty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #27
BILL WILLIAMSON

A LOT of problems are caused when folks DON'T let primer & primer surfacer DRY/CURE long enough---DON'T GET IN SUCH A HURRY!!! And, follow the instructions!
Bill Slow
Old 04-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #28
mike657894

i used tractor black on my chevy truck and it held up but faded after a few years. i use magic black and it faded within a year. i use acryllic enamel now 29.99 a quart at the local mix shop much better quality and still pretty affordable.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #29
BudP

Amazon has a small POR 15 kit which I intend to use next week on brake backing plates and drum fronts. Here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J594B5C...eywords=por+15
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #30
Terry, NJ

I think you meant Brent Terry. I hesitate to answer as I don't feel comfortable giving much advice about a subject I know so little about. Anyone who would care to see my work, in my album "My A". This was with a Harbor Freight "Purple Gun", PPG Paint costing $354, 1 Gal Chicle Drab, 1/2 Gal Copra Drab , hardener and thinner. The fenders are TSC Black. The chassis is Magnet Paint , "Chassis Saver". Yes, it needs lots of color sanding. All in all, It's better than I expected. I painted two vehicles before in my life. A TR3 in 1965 and a 65 ford PU in 1974. Both were painted with DuPont "Centari" which is almost unavailable today ($15 @ QT). I always shied away from body work of all kinds, it was definitely out of my "Comfort zone". I have learned a little since then and now I don't fear it so much. If I continue with it, I may actually get good at it.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty12 View Post
Thanks for the reply, Terry.

Like I said, I asked this strictly for curiosity purposes.

Since the gun and equipment are important variables, let's assume that the paint is going through a sprayer and hose assembly similar to what you use in your shop. Also, let's assume the sheet metal is properly and professionally prepped. Or, how many gallons of black paint would you need to paint the subject 1930 all black coupe?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer this rather vague question!!!
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote