Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
JerseyJim

Default Need help with Fan Belt Numbers

I have a 42 engine in my 40 Sedan Delivery. Right now, the generator pulley is adjusted all the way to the top. This has the fan blade nipping the bottom of the right upper radiator hose. Macs lists this belt as 5/8 x 36. A friend of mine had the same problem and told me that he had the same problem on one some years back and located a shorter belt but he couldn't recall the length. Assuming I'm certainly not the first person to have this problem, can anyone provide the length and hopefully a part number?
JerseyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
tdlmomowers

Default Re: Need help with Fan Belt Numbers

Go to your local NAPA store and tell them what belt you have now. They can look up a belt by length and width that should be shorter than the one that you have now.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
4dFord/SC

Take your old belt to NAPA and match it to one that is the same width, but slightly shorter. (Like tdlm... says). BTW, is it the fan blade or the belt that's nipping the hose? If it's the blade, I don't see how a new belt will help.

Last edited by 4dFord/SC; 11-26-2011 at 07:51 AM.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
JerseyJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
Take your old belt to NAPA and match it to one that is the same width, but slightly shorter. (Like tdlm... says). BTW, is it the fan blade or the belt that's nipping the hose? If it's the blade, I don't see how a new belt will help.
The fan pulley on the later engine, mounts to the generator and adjusts up and down. A shorter belt should pull the fan down out of harms way.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
The fan pulley on the later engine, mounts to the generator and adjusts up and down. A shorter belt should pull the fan down out of harms way.
Yes, I was thinking of my '40.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
JerseyJim

I always pay the price when I don't proof read my posts. Excuse my typing. My brain seems to be out of sync with my fingers these days. At any rate... Any help from the experts will be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
Terry,OH

It would seem that the info provided above, by others, is good. From our vantage point it would be difficult to tell what pulley you have on your generator, or other factors that would effect V-belt size. The NAPA belts come in dimensions that are nearly the same as Fords V-belts but have slight difference that may make the belt ride deeper in the pulleys, and may take extra adjustments. NAPA can supply the belts in lengths that are 1" different such as B54=57" and B53=56" both belts are 21/32 wide, usually the 1" difference is all it takes to lower the generator from the top of the adjustment to the bottom.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
JerseyJim

ADDITIONAL INFO: It appears that the wrong belt may have been used on the car. All the listings that I find have the belt width at 7/8". This belt measures closer to 5/8". This places the belt flush into the pulley V groove. Obviously, the wider belt would ride higher in the grove. Can anyone tell me the correct width of the pulley groove at its widest point? How much above the groove should the outer surface of the belt be?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
JerseyJim

Just realized what my problem may be... I have two different pulleys on this engine. The fan pulley is a wide-belt pulley and all the rest are narrow belt pulleys... I guess my question now is whether or not a narrow pulley can be installed at the fan? This engine is a collection of different parts. It checks out as a 41-42 block. The distributor and fan are typical of a 46 to 48.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
bbrocksr

I thought a 40 had the fan on the crank pulley. 39 was the last year for generator mounted fans except for trucks. Is the sedan delivery the same radiator/fan setup as the car? Should be a 5/8" belt.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote