Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Duffy1

Default clutch disc for f-150 overdrive conversion

ken parker or any one else ;

I saw the response given to an earlier thread as it relates to identifying a clutch dis a fellow bought at a swap meet . Ken you said you use a 10 spline 1.062 in dia clutch disc. on the subject conversion . I had a v8 clutch dic and pressure plate installed in my 31 sw which has a f-150 over drive transmission . I do not know if the v8 clutch disc is the size you mentioned . I do know that when the tran is in neutral and the engine running I get a rattling noise coming from the bell housing . When you push in on the clutch the noise diappears. Other than that the clutch works as it should .Is this v8 clutch disc .causing the noise /
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
kenparker

Default Re: clutch disc for f-150 overdrive conversion

More info. The 1 1/16" dia x 10 spline x 9" clutch disc is the one I use, but I also use the AA Bell Housing which is shorter that the A Bell housing.. The orginal F150 input shaft on the transmission is also used which has matching 1 1/16" x 10 splines.

One of the other kit builders uses a A Bell housing and the transmission shaft is extended approx 2". I do not know if the extension is 1/ 16" x 10 spline or not. The exrtension may incorporate the stock Model A clutch disc, which if I remember correctly is 1 1/8 " x 6 spline.

The rattling noise could be 1/2 dozen things. Without looking and listing to the noise I can only guess. Look down thru the Bell Housing inspection plate/opening and watch the throwout bearing. When the clutch is released does the Throwout Bearing stop turning. It should stop. If it does not stop you may be hearing the beginnings of a worn out Throwout Bearing.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Duffy1

Thanks Ken ;

I responded earlier but it did not post . I will try again . Anyway ,we put in a new throwout bearing when we put the clutch in . Clutch and trans work good albeit when you shift from 2nd to 3rd you can scratch the gears if you do not make the shift just right .
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
miss victoria

Try to find the thicker disc.352 +- later mustang discs measure .312 +-
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
miss victoria

also check the center hub on the disc some are larger than the hole in the preasure plate.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Bassman/NZ

Sorry for the partial hijack, but what are the best years for the F150 trans?
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
RB35

I had an '85 behind my flathead and drove an '86 F-150 with the 3 spd + OD. Best to find one with the shifter out the top of the trans. Some older 150's had the same trans, but side shifter with linkage and rods.
I also remember that the disc used in the flattie conversion was 9" from a late 60's Torino.
RB
RB35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
PetesPonies

There are several things that can make a rattle noise on that aera. But chances are its th throw out bearing. But no making noise from spinning, but rattling on the input shaft. It can be annoying. but its benign.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Duffy1

Thanks Pete ;

The model A guru that put the engine, clutch and tran back in the car was not to concerned with the noise .
I have a "B" engine in my 31 sw .This lightned fly wheel and V-8 clutch has worked out great with this engine as it relates to balance. No vibration at any speed . The F-150 four speed fully sycronized transmission is nice especially when you want to down shift.The only draw back is this car really likes to run about 55 to 60 in 4th gear overdrive . It does not like to run 45 in 4th gear overdrive which is the speed we drive when we are on an outing with the car club.I shift out of 3rd into overdrive at 35 . When we are running 45 and get into some hills I am busy shifting back and forth from 4th to 3rd to 4th etc.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
miss victoria

you might have the 41 % o.d. no good in a model A . did you buy a kit or do it yourself. the tag on the right side of the trans is stamped with letters rts.... those next letters will be your gear set numbers.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Duffy1

It was in the car when I bought it . Do you mind elaborating on 41% o.d.
Thanks
Old 05-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
miss victoria

this is the most common to find.way to high overdrive, and to low in first and second gear.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
columbiA

In my 31 SW sedan,I run a Columbia O D with 4.11 gears & 28.5 % O D,giving an OD ratio of 2.94.With the B engine & 5.9 head,it will pull 8 % grades with ease.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
Duffy1

So ,all I need to do is put in a 4:11 rear end and a 5.9 head and my problem is solved . Our club plans to drive the Natchez Trace in October . I have feeling I will be shifting a lot .If I do,then I will look into making some changes .
Old 08-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
roddyb34

Sorry to drag up an old thread ,,but i am after a clutch disc to suit my conversion of a 60s mustang type 3 speed with a T150 Jeep shifter to an A engine thru a AA bellhousing ,using a stock pressure plate ,,the only discs i can get out here the flat side centre still fouls the flywheel ,,my local clutch guy reckons i will have to machine the recess that the F/W bolts are in to a larger size as a disc isnt available that is completely flat,,i have sorted the shaft machining and the closed drive coupling adaptor and pedal bracket etc.and about to start the installation but need the disc so i can assemble from the flywheel back ,,,the spline i assume would be the usual late ford type,,or will i have to machine F/W and use a V8 type clutch ,maybe the V8 disc will be flat type ,,,
roddyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote