Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
Jmelcock

Default 40/41 Big Truck Questions

Hello All,
I'm new here. I have been working on a 41 Half Ton Pickup. I picked up some rear fenders recently that I believe to be 40/41 Ford big truck. I paid a decent amount for them before realizing that they are not for a half-ton. I'm wondering if someone can tell me what I have here, so that I can possibly recoup some of the funds to put towards other parts. They are in pretty good shape... There is not a pic of what would be the drivers side, but there was a spare tire mounted on the driver's side of the trailer... Also, no filler hole in the driver's fender was a giveaway. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41 #1.jpg (51.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 41 #2.jpg (50.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 41 #3.jpg (23.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg trailer.jpg (20.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Jmelcock; 12-05-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Jmelcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:32 AM   #2
expavr

Default Re: 40/41 Big Truck Questions

Attached are photos of the rear fenders on my 1940 One Ton Express. The right rear fender has a dimple for the spare tire. I don't see a dimple in your photos which suggests that those fenders could be from a later model truck that carried the spare under the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LR-Fender.jpg (46.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg RR-Fender.jpg (43.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Fender-Spare-Tire.jpg (37.7 KB, 110 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:13 AM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
Attached are photos of the rear fenders on my 1940 One Ton Express. The right rear fender has a dimple for the spare tire. I don't see a dimple in your photos which suggests that those fenders could be from a later model truck that carried the spare under the frame.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
Karl Wescott

Most likely 1942-47 1/2 ton. Very close to the 1938-41 except for the bottom 6 inches at the front (different running boards), the tire dimple, and the gas fill, and some details on the bed side of the fender. If you just have to have steel (as opposed to a perfectly good fiberglass fender) these make a good start for a 1/2 ton without a tire dimple.

If you look closely at the photos of the tonner fenders they are actually narrower (and longer) than the 1/2 ton. To allow for tire width there is a fender well inside the bed on the tonners.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
Most likely 1942-47 1/2 ton. Very close to the 1938-41 except for the bottom 6 inches at the front (different running boards), the tire dimple, and the gas fill, and some details on the bed side of the fender. If you just have to have steel (as opposed to a perfectly good fiberglass fender) these make a good start for a 1/2 ton without a tire dimple.

If you look closely at the photos of the tonner fenders they are actually narrower (and longer) than the 1/2 ton. To allow for tire width there is a fender well inside the bed on the tonners.
Perfectly accurate advice once again...
When I'd restored my '40 1/2 ton, I'd found a nice set of later fenders and modified them as necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4317.jpg (45.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4435.jpg (45.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #6
Newc

The front bottom of the '40 fenders is available as a repair piece- attaches to running board- just modify your fenders. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
rawlir

These look like 42-47 Rear fenders for 1/2 ton commercial pickup.
If the spare tire holder is still on the driver side, is it straight up & down or at an angle?
If straight up & down, more evidence that these are 42/47.
Tonner fenders are very similar but much bigger side by side and for sure have the dimple. Are these for sale?
rawlir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:13 PM   #8
GB SISSON

Dang it, when I first saw this I though Stu 'Truckdog' had found himself that elusive set of tonner express bed rears for his new MH project..... But... Tonner rears are really about 5' long, so you would know if that's what you have.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote