Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Swap Meet > For Sale > Model-A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
dean from bozeman

Default 1929 Leatherback

City: Bozeman
State: Montana
Price: $12,500.00

1929 Leatherback
I purchased this Leatherback some years back over the Internet. When I went to Wyoming to pick it up, I had to use an open trailer. On the way home, the top seam above the back window split. A new LeBaron Bonney top comes with the car.

The Leatherback is an older restoration. Probably done when cars that we would now keep in original condition were done as off frame restorations. The odometer says 23,000 miles but the cable has been disconnected. Though the photos make the car look real good, in reality the paint is that of a daily driver. The body is very solid and very straight. The passenger doors line up perfectly. On the driver’s side, the front door sags about an 1/8th of an inch. The passenger front and the two rear fenders are in very good shape. The driver’s front fender looks very good but it has a piece of metal welded in to correct a possible tear. It could be fixed by a good metal man.

The floor pans have a couple dents but are solid. They might have original paint on them. The wood is solid and looks original.

Though it ran when purchased, it had a leaky head gasket. When the head was off I realized that cylinder #3 was gouged a bit by a wrist pin problem earlier in its life. At that time, I decided to replace the engine with a rebuilt one. The engine that came in the car has since been sleeved, cleaned and pained Ford green. It can be put back in the car or used in a different “A”. Neither engine has a number correct for the car. Its firewall says April of 1929.

Years ago I sold the Leatherback to a friend who had it for some years. When his daughter was going to get married he needed funds and I bought it back. I stored it in a garage near our barn. Mice got in it and so I had to rip out all of the upholstery. It was not the original upholstery.

So, though it is a very solid car, it does need upholstery and a top to be used as a driver and a total restoration to be a trophy winner. It would not take much to get this car road worthy and/or trophy worthy.

The tires and rims that originally came with the car were used when I sold a restored chassis. I will be picking them up this weekend and will put them back on the car. Some photos will then be upgraded with those tires back on the car.

The plated items are good for a driver but should be replaced if restored for high points.

Serious buyers may ask for additional photos. Next week I will be putting photos of the undercarriage in he album. To see photos, click on my Fordbarn name “dean from Bozeman”. Then click on the photo album entitled “1929 Leatherback”.

I am selling this car, a new top and the extra engine as a package. $12,500. It is located in Bozeman, Montana.
If interested, please send a pm via Fordbarn or send an e-mail to [email protected]

P.S. I took a video of the engine running but am unable to upload it. I will take photos of the engine when I am home next weekend.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 10-18-2018 at 12:18 PM.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote