Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
corvette8n

Default Anyone using BLO on chrome?

While doing a wood project, I was reading the can of boiled linseed oil, and it mentioned mixing it 2 to 1 with mineral spirits for chrome protecting. Seems to me it would attract dust. Your experience?
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Anyone using BLO on chrome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
While doing a wood project, I was reading the can of boiled linseed oil, and it mentioned mixing it 2 to 1 with mineral spirits for chrome protecting. Seems to me it would attract dust. Your experience?
Maybe if the car was being put away for long storage or being shipped by boat it may provide some protection from the elements.
But common sense should tell you that you're not about to see cars running around with linseed oil slathered all over the chrome.
And seeing it was on the can, probably the company's ploy to sell more oil to those who are susceptible to that sort of information.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 06-24-2019 at 01:14 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
RalphG

Yes, I'd guess it would attract dust but probably preserve the chrome. I have never used anything other than car wax on my "Korean War Chrome" on the 52 Merc. Cleaned up good with steel wool and rubbing compound, then a bit of wax to hopefully slow down the rust and pitting.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
supereal

We use SimaChrome cleaner, followed with a coat of McGuiire's Tech 2 wax. Most old Ford "chrome" is actually stainless steel, or "rustless" as Henry called it. Steel wool is too harsh for most trim, and the very small scratches will dull the finish. On very old trim, we use a soft cotton wheel in our drill press, together with a mild jeweler's rouge compound. The wheel runs at a high speed, so be careful, wear heavy gloves, and go slow so the trim is not caught and bent. The result will produce a shine nearly equal o chrome plating.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
rotorwrench

Linseed oil was the original rust preventative for iron and steel. Id dries hard but has a tendency to yellow. I still us it on antique gun stocks. It gives them a nice finished look but it takes a long time for it to completely dry. Linoleum flooring was made from linseed oil a long time ago but I don't know if any company still make any of that stuff.

I haven't had to repair an aircraft tube frame for some time but we used to drill small holes in each new tube member after welding and pour boiled linseed inside. Move it around to get a good coating then drain any excess. A drive screw was used to seal the little holes up. They won't rust if it's done correctly.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote