Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Rich Overton

Default Shipping question

Hi all, a gentleman from British Columbia is interested in purchasing my '48 Mercury convertible. He is searching out the procedure ( customs and all) and the most economical, safest way to ship it from Eastern Long island, N.Y. to the northwest, possibly Vancouver. He is located 1 hour North of Vancouver. Any barners out there that can shed some light? Thanks very much!

Best to all!
Rich O.
Rich Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
parklane

Default Re: Shipping question

Watch out who ships it cuz the cheapest price can get REAL expensive. I have heard horror stories about U Ship.
As far as importing into Canada, there's nothing to it. Get it to the border, go into the Canadian Customs with your bill of sale (preferably verified) so the customs guy can't put a higher price on car. pay the taxes, and away you go.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Ford coupe

You must send a bill of sale and copy of ownership to US customs where you are going to be taking the car across the border 72 hours before the car gets there or the us customs will not let you across until this is done..This is to check for leins and if car is stolen ect ect..After that its to the Canadian border with recipt and pay one tax plus $209.00 for paper work and away you go..The deal with the 72 hrs is critical as is all paper work..Good Luck
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
parklane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford coupe View Post
You must send a bill of sale and copy of ownership to US customs where you are going to be taking the car across the border 72 hours before the car gets there or the us customs will not let you across until this is done..This is to check for leins and if car is stolen ect ect..After that its to the Canadian border with recipt and pay one tax plus $209.00 for paper work and away you go..The deal with the 72 hrs is critical as is all paper work..Good Luck
I agree with what you say about the 72 hour thing - that's 72 business hours, which does not include Sundays, on newer vehicles. I have however brought older cars/trucks back into Canada without doing that, and not even stopping at US Customs, with no problems at the Canadian side.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Ford coupe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Maybe some of us are just to damned honest..I trailered a car from NYS to Ontario last summer for a guy who had to leave it in NY a couple days earlier because even though he had the paper work on him the US customs wanted it 72 hrs in advance to check out whatever..And yes the 72 hre does not include sat and sun..I know of someone who got a car over somehow without doing the 72 hr thing and a year later he and the owner in th us had to return it to the US..
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote