Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
Oberfranke

Default connect the capacitor outside

Hi,
my mother tongue is German. I have the distributor with an external condenser. I want to move the condenser somewhere else because of the heat. I know there is a possibility to convert to an internal capacitor. But I would like to lay two cables and the capacitor e.g. install next to the ignition coil. The cable for ground would be simple, but the connection to the breaker is a little tricky. Does anyone have a simple solution for this?
Thank you in advance.
Oberfranke
Oberfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: connect the capacitor outside

Remove the original condenser from the distributor . Mount a modern condenser to the coil bracket or firewall . Connect the pig tail wire from the condenser to the switch side of the coil . If original color coded wiring is used this will be the red wire that connects to the coil . The ground is where the condenser mounts . An original condenser can be used if a pig tail wire is made up to connect to the switch side of the coil .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 05-27-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
Russ/40

Just to add to your choices, there is a stock appearing condenser available now from the "A" vendors that will be able to tolerate the heat in the stock location. I have never heard of one failing.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Ground the condenser and run a wire to the passenger side of the coil, where the red wire is connected.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
johnbuckley

A diagram of where the condenseer can go as well as other possible changes over 90 years. You can see where the condenser can go as in Purdy's response #2... Key to the thumbnail below... Possible changes over 90 years..
1. Polarity may have been changed .
2. It may be now 12 volts .
3.A fuse may be present
4 and 7. The wire to the coil may be changed and ignition circuit not pass through ammeter ( as did the very early Model As)
5and 6. Wires to ammeter may be switched if polarity has been changed .
8. An ignition switch may have been inserted between junction box and coil.
9. A ballast resistor may be present..
10. The wires on the coil may be switched,
11. The pop out switch may have been replaced
13. “Modern” points which have the condenser on the upper plate may have been fitted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2a. commonly found changes over 90 years.jpg (124.2 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by johnbuckley; 05-27-2020 at 11:24 AM.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

I put in a A&L burnout proof one 35 years ago, the first one I melted the solder off, but still works, later production ones were welded and do not fail---- why do modifications if a good stock looking part is a more reliable less possible troublesome fix
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

One reason would be that modern style condensers are available at local parts houses . Another reason is that it is easier to mount and connect the condenser to the coil . If not using the original coil , many replacement coil brackets have a screw hole for mounting a modern style condenser . No need to worry about grounding as the condenser grounds at the mounting point . In other words no ground wire is needed as long as the condenser mounts to a metal surface , as that is where it will ground . I learned this trick back in 1960 . This is a simple fix that has worked well for me . The condenser gets more cooling air when mounted in this manner . and can be changed back to original without modification .
Old 05-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

Thanks John for the drawing in post number 5 as it shows exactly how to connect the condenser as I tried to explain . I once had a picture posted here of how I mounted the condenser on my september 29 , untill photo bucket removed my pictures from the Ford Barn .
Old 05-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
Oberfranke

Many thanks to everyone, I was looking for that.
Oberfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
rotorwrench

The condenser has to be on the breaker side of the coil. The OEM Electrolock switch may be problematic with the relocated condenser. Change the ignition switch (aftermarket style) to the power side of the coil and run a regular wire for the beaker side using either an adapter or rewire it to the breaker points.

I'd just use the blow proof condenser and keep a spare one in the car for the rare occasion that they go to pot. I thought all the old model A guys did that.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #11
Sunnybrook Farm

Condensers are near the points in distributors for decades because they perform best at that location otherwise they would have put them on the firewall to start with, just like the coil.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

While a modern condenser isn't original , it will get the job done . It doesn't get much easier than mounting and connecting a modern condenser to the switch side of the coil . I run the A&L condensers on most of my model As . If a person doesn't live near a model A parts dealer , it might take a couple of days to obtain an original condenser . Most parts houses still have the modern style condensers in stock . While I have installed the original style condensers for over fifty years , it can be a pain . Ask somebody that had to install an original condenser on the side of the road . Back in the day , modern condensers were better than the model A condensers that were offered . Now the A&L model A condenser is a better choice . A modern condenser is good in an emergency and is easier to install .
Old 05-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #13
Bob Bidonde

Here is an alternative condenser installation. Although it shows an original type, a modern condenser can also be used. Wire the condenser to the side of the coil that connects to the ignition switch instead going into the terminal box. You can mount a second condenser as a spare which is convenient for a roadside fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Condenser On Firewall.jpg (65.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Condensers On Firewall (1).jpg (36.4 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 05-28-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #14
johnbuckley

neat Bob, and good for a quick change-over for testing
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote