Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
Modelacoupe3

Default Flywheel Ring Gear ?

I need to replace the ring gear on my 30 Model A. From what I have read on this site, a few people have had problems with new ring gears.
Who makes the best one and where can I purchase it? Hope to buy one manufactured in the U.S. if possible? Any help appreciated.

Scott
Modelacoupe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Flywheel Ring Gear ?

If you call Bratton's or Bert's, they will tell you where they are made and the quality. Mac's, not so much! Usually Bratton's and Bert's carry the better parts, I have found.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
Tom Endy

All the suppliers carry them and they are probably all made at the same place. My recommendation is to have the ring gear installed by pinning it in place after it is mounted on the flywheel. There is a Model A repair shop in Costa Mesa, CA that has experience doing this job. They also know which way the gear is supposed to face.

Henry made a mistake when he designed the installation of the starter ring gear. He placed the stop on the wrong side. The gear on the end of the starter wants to pull the ring gear away from the stop. If it is not on there tight it will do it.

The Model A Garage - 714-546-2969
Jim & Randy Nichols - owners

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
chap52

Lot's of great tips on this and the V* Forums on installing those. I put the flywheel (Momma not home) in the freezer while I lit some coals on my old guy Bar B Q. Laid the new ring gear on the hot coals, went and got the flywheel and laid it on the concrete patio, removed "warmed", no color changes, ring gear with a couple pair of pliers and it dropped right on. I don't know about the "A's" ring gear but the V* is directional on the flywheel.
I got warned about overheating it, but it was not necessary to heat it that long to get it to fall on, clink. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
Synchro909

Henry made a mistake when he designed the installation of the starter ring gear. He placed the stop on the wrong side. The gear on the end of the starter wants to pull the ring gear away from the stop. If it is not on there tight it will do it.

Tom Endy[/QUOTE]

Boy, have I ever copped flack for saying things like that. Some here won’t have it that everything Henry did was any less than 100%. It amazes me that even after making what was it, some 5million of these cars he didn’t catch onto his mistake here.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
Modelacoupe3

Thank you all for the information. I ordered one from Berts Model A. I saw in their catalog that they stock the better of the two made. I'll contact the "Model A Garage" and have it pinned as a precaution. Has anyone ever tried Locktite?
Thank you
Scott
Modelacoupe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelacoupe3 View Post
Thank you all for the information. I ordered one from Berts Model A. I saw in their catalog that they stock the better of the two made. I'll contact the "Model A Garage" and have it pinned as a precaution. Has anyone ever tried Locktite?
Thank you
Scott
If you use the green locktite its meant to lock bearing races in place and anything short of a cutting torch wont remove them - should work if all the grease and oils are off the 2 parts before hand.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelacoupe3 View Post
Thank you
Scott
I had a ring gear move on my Tudor. I tapped it back into place and applied a few drops of Loctite 290. That is the grade that wicks into small spaces. 10,000 miles since and no trouble. I didn’t even remove the engine or gearbox - did it all through the starter motor mounting hole in the flywheel housing.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I had a ring gear move on my Tudor. I tapped it back into place and applied a few drops of Loctite 290. That is the grade that wicks into small spaces. 10,000 miles since and no trouble. I didn’t even remove the engine or gearbox - did it all through the starter motor mounting hole in the flywheel housing.
Synchro,
I always had you pegged as a "GREAT COMMON SENSE MAN"!!
Bro Bill W.