Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Tombstone

Default Wheel question offset

I have a 55 Town Sedan that I've installed Aerostar springs on the front and 4" lowering blocks on the leafs. I want to put 18" or larger wheels on it. I really like the US Mags Rambler wheels but I'm worried about having to go to an 8" width. I know it doesn't make any difference who's wheel I go with but I'd appreciate information on specs for big wheel that will fit. Also, I'm sure I'll have to stick with 26" tire diameter so I don't have problems with steering. All information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: Wheel question offset

TIRE RACK has a lot of info on their site about wheel retrofits.

GOOGLE the subject and you should find about any info you need, especially wheel offset.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
miker98038

Default Re: Wheel question offset

On the front watch for sidewall interference on the upper ball joint. Mine is minimal with 15x7 and 3.5” backspace. Mounting 225/60 15 radials T/A’s. Others have said up to 4” backspace will work, which I suspect is related to sidewall bulge. An 18”rim might put the rim at the b/j height making the sidewall bulge moot. The outer tire to the fender lip will also likely be critical, as will the tire making contact at full turning lock.

Using way wider tires and major offset changes can also affect the steering, you’ll need to research that. Toe in/out and the other alignment spec’s may need to be looked at by someone who understands what’s what.

I can’t help on the read end of a pass car, but I managed to get 15x7 4inch backspace with 10” cheater slicks under the back of a 55 bird. That was really tight, but those were wide tires. No skirts. I’ve seen complaints of not being able to remove the rear wheels without dropping a shock loose in some case with larger or wider wheels. Might want to check that too.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Ole Don

My 55 sedan had 15x215-70's on the rear. They filled the wheel wells. To remove a wheel / tire, I had to remove the shock nuts and place a small bottle jack between the frame and spring to jack the axle down. I had re-arched rear springs with 2 1/2 blocks.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #5
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
I have a 55 Town Sedan that I've installed Aerostar springs on the front and 4" lowering blocks on the leafs. I want to put 18" or larger wheels on it. I really like the US Mags Rambler wheels but I'm worried about having to go to an 8" width. I know it doesn't make any difference who's wheel I go with but I'd appreciate information on specs for big wheel that will fit. Also, I'm sure I'll have to stick with 26" tire diameter so I don't have problems with steering. All information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anything over a 17" rim on a 50's car is asking for problems with a semi-stock suspension like yours and will look like a cross between a lowrider and a Donk
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:41 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Wheel question offset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post

Anything over a 17" rim on a 50's car is asking for problems with a semi-stock suspension like yours and will look like a cross between a lowrider and a Donk
AMEN BROTHER!

The new breed likes the big wheels and bologna skins but to me it ruins the appearance of the car.

I had a 64 FORD that I put 15 X 6.5 station wagon steel wheels and a set of J70-15 MT's and I had to let the air out of the tires to remove...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #7
miker98038

“Donk”, ok, I see those around, always wondered what to call them. Seems good to me.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
Ole Don

I saw a new Suburban in a parking lot last week, the wheels were so big it looked like a swamp buggy. Ground clearance must have been near a foot.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:03 AM   #9
Tombstone

Geez! C'mon guys. I'm not looking for rubber band tires. I'm 72 years old and I don't like the look of today's tuners either. In researching tires and dimensions, a 17" wheel Looks pretty good and that's probably what I'll go with. I was just curious as to what my perimeters would be. There doesn't seem to be a lot of wiggle room on theses cars.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
y'sguy

I think you can make 17 look good. 18's I don't know, I did 17's. It's your car.
I would be more concerned that you are using a 4" lowering block. It would be much safer and ride better if you were to have the springs re-arched. Been there done that.
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
miker98038

I don’t have a problem with tuner cars, my DD is one. I don’t think you can get much over the 27.5” tire height without steering interference at the front. I don’t know about the back, but there’s not a lot of room there either. My main concern is the wide width and large offset change in the front. You’re moving the contact patch center (there’s a word for this, just can’t remember) far outboard of the suspension design. I’ve had everything from bump steer to strange steering reactions on wheel lockup from that. The other thing to watch up front is some disc brake kits move the wheel out 1/8” or so. If that’s done, no big deal, but if you’re thinking about it leave some room.

I know from experience that some 16x6 explorer and Crown Vic wheels work ok, or aftermarket in the same dimensions. I don’t have a problem on my bird, but it’s got a modified from end (upper ball joint relocated), and the steering linkage redone to eliminate almost all bumpsteer. It’s also got stops, so full steering lock is restricted.

In the rear there’s some lateral displacement when cornering, more so if you’re using the big tire to go faster.

They make a jig to measure this, but for one car you can do it with scrap lumber and coat hanger wire.

Last edited by miker98038; 04-24-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:15 AM   #12
JeffB2

This may help you find what will fit: https://www.racingjunk.com/news/2015...-tire-fitment/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote