Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
Tom Cavallaro

Default Model A Charging Conditions

Just wondering if I can keep the battery up under normal daylight driving conditions. At the cutout, I'm at 7.2 volts, at the battery I've got 6.9 volts, and at the Amp meter I'm reading 6.5 amps. Assuming the amp meter is accurate. Does this sound like all is fairly good or should I raise it up? Without some input, I'm afraid to cook the battery.
Thanks in advance.
Tom
Old 12-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Model A Charging Conditions

With a rebuilt original generator ours reads a little under 10 amps driving down the road. Never a problem keeping battery fully charged. Drops to around 2 amps with the head lights on. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
1930-Pickup

I'm running about 8 amps charge at cruise speed. I haven't double checked it with my Fluke ammeter, but the Fluke and my dash meter do run pretty close (last tested together about 3 years ago).

Three years service so far using a new (then) Interstate 6v battery. 99.9% daylight driving. No issues to report.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:14 PM   #4
Drive Shaft Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cavallaro View Post
Just wondering if I can keep the battery up under normal daylight driving conditions. At the cutout, I'm at 7.2 volts, at the battery I've got 6.9 volts, and at the Amp meter I'm reading 6.5 amps. Assuming the amp meter is accurate. Does this sound like all is fairly good or should I raise it up? Without some input, I'm afraid to cook the battery.
Thanks in advance.
Tom
If you are driving on long trips I would move the third brush in an opposite direction of rotation to 2amps to avoid cooking the electrolyte out of the battery.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

The generator's charging current is determined by headlight usage. Ford recommended 6A to 8A for summer driving and 10A to 12A for winter driving.

The generator's output is adjusted by moving its 3rd brush.

The cutout switches the generator into & out of the electrical system to prevent the generator from drawing current from the battery.

The cutout connects the generator when its armature speed produces 7V to 7.5V which assures that the generator is producing a higher voltage than the battery. This generally occurs at about 700RPM to 750RPM of the generator. Recall that the generator turns at 1.5 times the engines RPM.

The cutout disconnects the generator when the generator's output is less than the battery's voltage, and the discharge current at the ammeter is 0 to 2.5A.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #6
Patrick L.

As mentioned, the cutout is merely a switch.

Charge rate kinda sorta depends on your driving style. If the majority is daytime then 2-3 amp charge rate is fine. If the majority is at night then bumping it up to 7-8 amps would be fine as long as the battery level is looked a little more often.

The charge rate is easily [ generally] changed by moving the third brush [ under the generator band].
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #7
1930-Pickup

Also, if you make shorter trips, with more frequent starts, you will need a charge rate higher than 2A. When I drive I usually take short daylight trips of about 3-5 miles, that's why I set mine to about 7-8 A.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:27 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post
Also, if you make shorter trips, with more frequent starts, you will need a charge rate higher than 2A. When I drive I usually take short daylight trips of about 3-5 miles, that's why I set mine to about 7-8 A.
What he said.