Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default 1928 Bill of Sale from NJ and converting it to a new title- NJ DMV advice needed

OK, I know I'm going to get slack for this, but I bought my car 15 years ago and never titled it. I'm not sure why, but I just didn't.

I've decided to get a proper title for the car and was looking over my documentation. What I thought was an original title is actually a notarized a bill of sale dated from May, 1928. I'm assuming it was from the dealer since the car was built in April of '28.

Anyway, the bill of sale is still open. Has anyone had experience with NJ's DMV and how I should proceed on getting this car titled?

I have the pictures, VIN/engine rubbing, and insurance for it. I just need to get this bill of sale converted to a NJ title in my name the best way possible. Anyone have experience in NJ doing this? If so, any tips would be appreciated.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Rex_A_Lott

Default Re: 1928 Bill of Sale from NJ and converting it to a new title- NJ DMV advise needed

I dont have any experience in your state, so just consider this a bump to the top. Best thing I can say is just call the DMV from a pay phone, and ask some questions.
Good Luck
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
ronn

Default Re: 1928 Bill of Sale from NJ and converting it to a new title- NJ DMV advice needed

I would call Trenton and not go to a dmv.

There are non title states such as GA and titles can be obtained, but the bill of sale needs to be notarized and Trenton will only accept the original.
You will have much better luck in Trenton then any of the dmv's.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT
Default Re: 1928 Bill of Sale from NJ and converting it to a new title- NJ DMV advice needed

I titled my CCPU in Delaware from a non-title state. NH does not title vehicles over 25 yrs old. All I had was a bill of sale and the current registration. It was the current registration that made things go smoothly
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I would call Trenton and not go to a dmv.

There are non title states such as GA and titles can be obtained, but the bill of sale needs to be notarized and Trenton will only accept the original.
You will have much better luck in Trenton then any of the dmv's.
OK, seems like good advice. Do you the where in Trenton the DMV is located? I'll try to look it up as well.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

IF you call from a Pay Phone, they'll immediately think it is some kind of SCAM & IF it has a "BIG-BROTHER" Camera, you're REALLY in trouble!!!
"Maybe" I've been watchin' TOO MANY MOVIES???
Bill Redeyes
Old 11-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
SeaSlugs

See the fatal flaw in your guys pay phone scheme is first you have to find a pay phone...
Old 11-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
ronn

No Tim, you will have to look it up. I have called them and they were very helpful, vs most Dmv's where it is "pot luck" on who you get and how many times they can say NO!

There is a printout on the computer somewhere- that gives you the requirements of titling wo a title in NJ and only a bill of sale, and apparently it can be done.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
ronn

Tim,
see if this helps.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/nontitled.pdf
Old 11-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
mike657894

I have often found in my state. the counter people defer everything thats not daily stuff to the corner office and often return with a simple no. When they say they will ask you need to say I need to speak to whos in charge. And they should know the whole process and multiple angles to get there. Sometimes a Bond will be needed. It think insurance carriers offer the cheapest bonds. Your original bill of sale may help you with the process.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #11
ronn

Mike, no bonding in NJ................

When I have asked who's in charge, Ive only gotten grimaces from everyone. You dont understand NJ............
Old 11-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
Kevin in NJ

You can call DMV anonymously.

A few years ago I called. Was curious as I got the frame and engine from a rodder and I know he had not transferred an old NJ title (there was a fire and DMV lost the old records).

There was a process were you advertised in a major paper that you had the vin and you got a bond and no one came forward in a year you got a title. Or something like that. I do not know if they still do that.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
Terry, NJ

Jersey's a PITA, but not as bad as Pa. I rather doubt you'll need the engine rubbing. I lived in NJ most of my life and never needed one, but keep it handy. In NJ, the words "Bill of Sale" and "Title" are used interchangeably. But they are not the same thing. I never needed a "Bill of Sale", Just a state issued Title. If you get into a squeeze (Lost Titles can put you into a real squeeze!) Try a local dealer They all do title work. Or a local Assemblyman. Back in the eighties, I sold a real nice 56 Packard I had because I couldn't Title it. Good luck! BTW where in Jersey? I was in Jackson!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

Wear your "I LOVE DMV" "t" shirt & LIMP a LOT!
Wobbly Bill W.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill williamson View Post
wear your "i love dmv" "t" shirt & limp a lot!
wobbly bill w.
lol!!!!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Jersey's a PITA, but not as bad as Pa. I rather doubt you'll need the engine rubbing. I lived in NJ most of my life and never needed one, but keep it handy. In NJ, the words "Bill of Sale" and "Title" are used interchangeably. But they are not the same thing. I never needed a "Bill of Sale", Just a state issued Title. If you get into a squeeze (Lost Titles can put you into a real squeeze!) Try a local dealer They all do title work. Or a local Assemblyman. Back in the eighties, I sold a real nice 56 Packard I had because I couldn't Title it. Good luck! BTW where in Jersey? I was in Jackson!
Terry
Hi Terry

Thanks for input and advice. I live in West Caldwell, but would drive to Cape May to get a title for this car.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #17
29 woody

I live in NJ and have had to jump through hoops to title several vehicles here. I have had to provide tracings, photos and even copies of the previous owner's DL (had to drive back out of state to get a copy of that one). NJ is not a vehicle owner friendly state.

The USUAL way to obtain a vehicle title in NJ without a previous title (but with a bill of sale) is:

1. the vehicle must be from a non-title, bill of sale state only. (several states do not provide titles on older cars-NJ must honor that)
2. you must then have a notorized bill of sale in your name WITH a valid (usually transferable) registration from the previous owner.

I have bought several vehicles this way including my '29 Woody this past summer (had to provide a tracing too).

Anyway, a friend of the family titled an old Chevy in NJ with only a bill of sale about three years ago. He did not have a current registration for the vehicle. As mentioned above, he had to go through the main DMV in Trenton and file lots of paperwork, photos and tracings. He also placed the required ads in newspapers prior to the title being issued. However, the main difference I see is that he had a notorized bill of sale from the seller to him. That enabled him to prove he bought it legally.

You can call the main Trenton DMV (
609.292.6500) and speak with a representative. They will direct you to the proper title department. Last year I had to get title paperwork for a reconstructed vehicle (Meyers Manx SR). I believe they switch me to the foreign title unit even though it wasn't regarding a foreign title. However, they mailed me a large packet containing specific instructions and the forms required.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that an open
and notarized bill of sale dated from May, 1928 will work. I think the date will be the main issue (unless you are roughly 100 years old and could have actually purchased the car in '28)

Good luck. I hope it works out for you!!
29 woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #18
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 woody View Post
I live in NJ and have had to jump through hoops to title several vehicles here. I have had to provide tracings, photos and even copies of the previous owner's DL (had to drive back out of state to get a copy of that one). NJ is not a vehicle owner friendly state.

The USUAL way to obtain a vehicle title in NJ without a previous title (but with a bill of sale) is:

1. the vehicle must be from a non-title, bill of sale state only. (several states do not provide titles on older cars-NJ must honor that)
2. you must then have a notorized bill of sale in your name WITH a valid (usually transferable) registration from the previous owner.

I have bought several vehicles this way including my '29 Woody this past summer (had to provide a tracing too).

Anyway, a friend of the family titled an old Chevy in NJ with only a bill of sale about three years ago. He did not have a current registration for the vehicle. As mentioned above, he had to go through the main DMV in Trenton and file lots of paperwork, photos and tracings. He also placed the required ads in newspapers prior to the title being issued. However, the main difference I see is that he had a notorized bill of sale from the seller to him. That enabled him to prove he bought it legally.

You can call the main Trenton DMV (
609.292.6500) and speak with a representative. They will direct you to the proper title department. Last year I had to get title paperwork for a reconstructed vehicle (Meyers Manx SR). I believe they switch me to the foreign title unit even though it wasn't regarding a foreign title. However, they mailed me a large packet containing specific instructions and the forms required.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that an open
and notarized bill of sale dated from May, 1928 will work. I think the date will be the main issue (unless you are roughly 100 years old and could have actually purchased the car in '28)

Good luck. I hope it works out for you!!
Thank you and thanks to everyone who respond. Going to tackle this after Thanksgiving.