Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
tiger.1000

Default Snap On versus Craftsman

Two sets of spanners (UK).....Snap On here in the UK cost £2000 ! Not dollars !

Craftsman 1/50th of the price

Gentleman, your comments please !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snap on.jpg (134.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg craftsman 1.jpg (11.0 KB, 60 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Joe Immler

Default Re: Snap On versus Craftsman

I am not a professional mechanic but for a do it yourselfer I think both are equal. Wouldn't hesitate to buy Craftsman.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
40cpe

If you are a professional mechanic and can charge/get $100/hr, maybe the Snap On could be justified. Mid-line tools fit my needs just fine and I don't need the ego trip of owning Snap On. Craftsman used to be recognized as a quality brand of tools. Things change, so I don't know about today's Craftsman tools.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
flathead4rd

Snap On is nice and top of the line but pricey. Most all of my tools are Craftsman and have had them for many years. I don't now if the newer Craftsman's are of the same quality but I think you would be happy with either one.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
David J

Seems Snap-On prices are steep across the pond .

I have mostly Snap-On tools and a Snap-On rep { truck } lives 5 miles away so warranty needs are quick . He gives a healthy cash in hand discount .

I have some Craftsman stuff also and it isn't bad but it is for sure not the same quality .

At the prices you mention I would probably go with Craftsman on most but NOT my 6 point sockets .
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
cobbie

Tiger.1000 - As a pro user we used snap-on, not that the tools were so much better but the snap-on truck came around once a week and would replace anything broken or even the chrome started to peel. I have used craftsman and snap-on both but with a large cost difference I would have no problem with Craftsman.
cobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Tim Ayers

If you can find fully polished Craftsman Industrial or the earlier fully polished US-made, professional line of spanners on Ebay that would be a nice alternative to Snap-On.

I have both and they are very close in quality. Some complain that Craftsman have a "lobster claw" on the open end, but it never stop me from getting access to any fastener.

That said, I would stay away from Chinese-made Craftsman. More of personal thing with me.

Don't shy away from US-made SK's either. Really high quality wrenches.

What about German-made Hazlet's? They should be cheaper than the Snap-On's are in Europe.

I would also lurk on Ryan's other site called The Garage Journal. Its a site for hard-core tool guys and a lot of them buy and sell new or like new Snap-On tools. You can usually find a good deal if you are willing to look around and wheel and deal a bit.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 12-12-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
38bill

Nothing wrong with the Craftsman "spanners". Make sure they are labeled as "Craftsman Hand Tool Full Warranty" and then they are warrantied for life. Used to be all Craftsman brand were lifetime but apparently not any more.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
Sal

I'm a retired aircraft mechanic. I've found spots on aircraft that you just couldn't access using any other wrench than a Snap-On. The quality or their tools is second to none. On auto's I don't think you'll have to get into extremely tight areas. Stay away from Chinese junk and remember you get what you pay for.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
corvette8n

My tool collection consists of one snap-on wrench I bought at a garage sale, the rest is mostly craftsman stuff collected over the last 50 years. I even have some Harbor Freight 1/2 drive impact sockets that I use a lot. So unless you depend on your tools to make a living, I say save your money.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #11
woodiewagon46

tiger, I simply can not justify the cost of Snap On tools. Simple 9/16" open end wrenches from Snap On are $40 or more. True, Craftsman tools are now made in China, but their lifetime guarantee still stands. In 50 years the only tool I have ever returned was a 3/8" ratchet that I put a 4' pipe on to break a bolt. I stripped the gears and returned it for free replacement. Craftsman along with Kobalt tools from Lowes can't be beat for the price. I have built and restored 6 cars and maintain all my cars and never had an issue with Craftsman tools.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
Jack E/NJ

>>>1/50th of the price>>>
>>>you get what you pay for>>>

With this kind of outrageous price differential, the line between "getting what you pay for" and "getting ripped off" is abundantly clear. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I'm a retired aircraft mechanic. I've found spots on aircraft that you just couldn't access using any other wrench than a Snap-On. The quality or their tools is second to none. On auto's I don't think you'll have to get into extremely tight areas. Stay away from Chinese junk and remember you get what you pay for.
Snap On wrenches are thinner, stronger & fit where other wrenches will not.
They make wrenching a whole lot better.
On the other hand , if you can put up with a lesser quality tool go for it.

Last edited by 42merc; 12-12-2016 at 06:47 PM.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #14
rotorwrench

I started out with Proto, SK, and Sears Craftsman tools and they are just fine. I have busted a few here and there and the Craftsman tools were always covered on warranty. I started purchasing Snap On for convenience after getting some of my tools ripped off. I thought they were stupid high priced even back then but I'm still using about 99% of them after all these years. Most of the warranty actions were with busted ratchet teeth but the late titanium gears (approximately 15 years ago) haven't busted yet. The rest of the warranty actions were mostly with tempered type tool bits for phillips, allen, and torx type tooling but we use this stuff a lot in aviation and more modern automotive stuff. It just plain wears out no matter how tough it is.

Apple and an orange. I'd hate to have to replace all the Snap-On stuff I have now. The stuff is insane high now days. The father of friend of mine who has passed a few years back, swore by J H Williams brand. He used those tools for all of a 60-year + career as a mechanic and wouldn't use anything else. Many were badly worn but all were still usable. That company is now owned by Snap-On.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-12-2016 at 02:42 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #15
cmbrucew

I have a lot of Snap on tools. pullers boxes. I also have and use SK, Proto, Napa, and some Craftsman wrenches. Special tools come from Snap on. While I was working Snap on, Cornwall, and Mac trucks all stopped at the shop. Be aware that Craftsman tools made in China, do not have the same guarantee as in older times.
For weekend warriors Harbor Freight or craftsman tools work okay.
Bruce
Old 12-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #16
rockfla

I have a mix of Snap-On, Armstrong, SK, Proto, Craftsman & NAPA. I have sold Armstrong, Proto and SK on a industrial level and Actually Armstrong "Spanners" are better than Snap-On as far as the manufacturing process and plating.....With that said.....I have started buying NAPA tools when I loose, replace or add to my tool collection as they have a "Lifetime" replacement and Odds are that WHEREEVER I travel in the USA, small town USA or Big town USA, there isn't always a Sears but ODDS are there is a NAPA (Or several NAPA"S to choose from) of some form or other so my odds of getting a replacement IF need be are better with NAPA. Case in point was when we were in Monterey CAL. NO Sears but there was a NAPA with in 5 miles of where we were staying!!!! AND open on Sunday!! IMO....TO ME Craftsman are the most uncomfortable tools made...IF you get the Craftsman "Professional" line they are much more ergonomically friendly and comfortable tools to use!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #17
markdtn

I have a mix of Snap-On, Matco, and old Craftsman mainly. Some Cornwell and S&K. Into the 80s Craftsman was the way to go for the home mechanic. Tools were made well and had good warranty. Then it started slipping. Now they don't rebuild your ratchet when it breaks, they swap it out. You don't know what you have or how it has been treated. For wrenches I like Snap-On hands down. They fit, they are thin, and I have never broken one. The fit is a huge issue on older bolts. Tight fit can be the difference in getting it to come off without vise-grips or rounding it off. This same thing holds for sockets, but perhaps not as much in my experience. I built my sets very slowly at flea markets and pawn shops a few pieces at a time. And yes, most Snap-On dealers will give healthy discounts for cash sales. So yes it's expensive, but if it saves you time and aggravation it is worth it to me. And 1 more thing. No way I finance tools for a hobbiest; pay cash is the only way to go.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #18
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
Two sets of spanners (UK).....Snap On here in the UK cost £2000 ! Not dollars !

Craftsman 1/50th of the price

Gentleman, your comments please !

I fully agree with Jack 're the "you get what you pay for" 2 G for a set of spanners is beyond ridiculous!! It's taking the piss!!!
I'm a mechanic I guess you'd say. I restore vehicles, every part of it from servicing, tuning, engine, trans, rear end, steering box's rebuilding. Wiring and electrical parts rebuilding, mechanical upgrades, wiring vehicles from scratch or fitting replacement harnesses or modifying New or old harnesses to incorporate desired "up grades" or hide upgrades and safety modifications. Body and frame restoration and modifying. Paint, trim work, you name it. Various makes and models, British stuff from Aston Me through Jag E types, Austin Healys, MG's and classic saloons. Alfa's, Porsche's. Through to minis, Morris minors and series Land Rovers.
That isn't a brag honestly, the point I'm making here is my tools get used a lot, on a lot of different stuff. And I own ONE Snapon spanner, it's a 14mm so rarely use it. Only have it as I found it chucked into the back of my truck one day at the dump!
My tool kit is a mix of mostly old used britool, sykes and a bunch of other makes. I got some new teng and kamasa stuff that I haven't broke. My two favourite ratchets are, believe it or not, Halfords Professional 1/2" drive. These have life time guarantee, though I think I've void my guarantee as I've beet the living hell outa these, like hammering the handle with a club hammer when needed, and four foot scaffold pole and jumping on it.
Still ain't broke one yet.

So 2000 bux for snapon set! You be the judge, I'd never pay that kinda green and not be able to drive it.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #19
Ol' Ron

I usually buy what on sale at the local parts store.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #20
Gary in La.

I to am a retired aircraft mechanic but in my opinion Snap On tools are pretty and shiney only to be harder to hold on to down here in the south when you are sweaty. Especially in the cramped space of an aircraft when doing the wrenching by feel only as you can't see what you are doing. I will say the Snap On screwdrivers are 2'nd to none. Craftsman screwdrivers are junk. Most of my tools are Craftsman that were bought in the'50's. Terrific quality! Their tools now are still very good but not the same as the old ones. Snap on does have some great specialty tools. For the antique auto guy they are not worth the heavy investment. OMHO
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote