Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #21
trainguy

Default Re: Aluminum heads

Took the car for a 20 mile ride this afternoon which included a 2 mile long steep hill.I put 160 deg thermostats in it.the engine stayed at 160 for the entire time even after idling for 10 min.The coolest level remained unchanged.With the alum heads without thermostats it would be pushing 210 and 220 while idling for more than 5 min.Plan to torque the heads again after cool down for the forth time.Looks like I have a winner! Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #22
Mike Crehan

Default Re: Aluminum heads

Slight thread drift but it may help - I was taught to never double nut any stud unless I was removing it to throw away. Locking the double nuts together stretches the threads on the stud. The answer is a stud box. Basically a short bit of hex bar drilled and tapped to match the stud (think of it as a nut 4 or 5 times normal length). Wind it onto the stud. Then screw a bolt down on top of the stud end inside the stud box. Once locked together you can put a spanner on the outside of the hex and wind the stud in or out. The only thread stretch is to the thread in the stud box.
Mike Crehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)