Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
BrianCT

Default Advice on visiting the GN Roadster show

I will be in San Clemente next week and plan to go to the GNRS.
I will probably go Sat and expect large crowds. Would Sun. be abetter choice?
Any advice about parking and other things is welcome.
We will have a rental car but could consider public transport if it
goes very close to the grounds.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: Advice on visiting the GN Roadster show

Hi Everyone; Brian, I just looked at the venue and my tip would be to look into using or renting a mobility scooter to get around. They are a godsend when you're trying to cover 5+ miles of parking lots!

http://www.rodshows.com/gnrs/

In the "General Questions And Answers" area there is a phone number listed to get a reservation. I've rented one at the York PA, NSRA show for about $65, but when I priced one at Hershey this year it was, I think, over $100 (at least it was enough that I immediately forgot how much it was and began walking!). It makes it much easier to cover more ground, and if you're like me your hips and knees will thank you the next day!

I also saw parking is $10, and it looks like there are some $2 off discount price tickets available from O'Reilly's.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
36coupe

I went about 3 years ago and attended everyday. We showed up early and parking is no problem.
Wear sensible footwear.

Between 500 cars inside and 500 for the outside car show and the museum, you have to manage your time to do it in one day.
I was there for the Then and Now and spend almost a full day in one building looking at the old customs and hotrods and best of all talking to the owners. The suede palace is a lot of fun. It is more than the cars it is the culture as well.
Wish I could go.
What is the theme this year?
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
expavr

We go on Friday. The crowds are slightly smaller than Saturday. The downside of that is there will be some drive ins arriving on Saturday, but there's plenty to see anyway. Parking is at Gate 9 https://www.fairplex.com/fp/business...aps/index.html on White Ave. Take the White offramp from the 10 freeway and turn Left (North). Follow the herd. The right lane tends to back up as you approach Gate 9. We use the second lane which you can turn right from into Gate 9. Once inside there will be traffic control attendants directing you where to park. Be prepared to wait in line to buy your ticket usually the best bet is the ticket booth on the far right side as you approach the gate. Unless you feel pressed for time stand aside when they open the gates and let the herd go in. After entering we shoot over to the pavilions on the far side of the complex and work our way back towards the gate. That way you're not stuck in the early foot traffic in the pavilions closest to the gate. As you're going thru scope out the food vendors and have it in mind where you might want to eat. The lines start forming at the beer and food stands around noon and can involve some wait time after that. Don't overlook the NHRA exhibit which is on the far side of the fairgrounds. Its worth a look see. The weather promises to be nice, so good hunting and have fun...

Regarding Sunday: I've not been on Sunday, so I can't comment.
Regarding the scooters: Unless you're handicapped I wouldn't recommend using one. The press of the crowds inside the pavilions makes for some tricky navigation and loss of visibility.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
deucemac

If you really want to get pictures of the cars on display, the Friday is the day. Saturday brings the drive-in cars in(like me) and much larger crowds. Sunday is less crowded than Saturday and fewer drive-in cars. The recommendation for a mobility scooter is very wise if you have any problem walking long distances or standing for long periods. There is a vendor right as you come in the gate that can help. Enjoy the show!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I was there 1.jpg (10.6 KB, 30 views)
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
BrianCT

Thank you all.
I think that I will go Friday. It sounds like too much to try to
see in one day.
Brian