Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #61
JtownJoe

Default Re: Not wearing a seatbelt because the car did not have one

It may well be "just a false sense of security" but after having them in mine for a few years I feel very vulnerable if I drive any time with out being "buckled up".
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:26 PM   #62
al's28/33

It's all speculation Gents.

Just remember anything can happen at any time.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #63
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
It's all speculation Gents.

Just remember anything can happen at any time.
Yep, you have to drive for yourself, and for the idiot that's trying to kill you.
Defensive driving it's called.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #64
holdover

All my As have seat belts, will they save my life in an accident maybe, maybe not. The physical structure of an A is not like a modern vehicle. But I will say this in over 50 years of Fire and Rescue, I have NEVER cut a dead person out of a vehicle who was wearing a seat belt, NEVER, and that goes back to the mid-60s when they were factory installed by law. Many of the people were banged up pretty bad but alive. I am a realist and tonight when the alert goes off that might change, but I'll go with what I have seen over all those years. And to answer the questions that I am sure will be posted, some of those vehicles were some pretty shabby constructed Model A Hot-rods and 32-40 coupes and roadsters, but they had belts, and the people lived, banged up but alive. Your mileage may vary.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:35 AM   #65
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
All my As have seat belts, will they save my life in an accident maybe, maybe not. The physical structure of an A is not like a modern vehicle. But I will say this in over 50 years of Fire and Rescue, I have NEVER cut a dead person out of a vehicle who was wearing a seat belt, NEVER, and that goes back to the mid-60s when they were factory installed by law. Many of the people were banged up pretty bad but alive. I am a realist and tonight when the alert goes off that might change, but I'll go with what I have seen over all those years. And to answer the questions that I am sure will be posted, some of those vehicles were some pretty shabby constructed Model A Hot-rods and 32-40 coupes and roadsters, but they had belts, and the people lived, banged up but alive. Your mileage may vary.
We all play the odds - Life's a lottery. I prefer the odds if I'm wearing a seat belt.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:19 AM   #66
RandyinUtah

In 1963 dad and I were in his 55 Chevy pickup and we're hit by a fast moving freight train . Chevy did not have seat belts and we were thrown out of the truck and both lived. If we had been strapped in no way could we have survived after seeing what was left of the truck.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:40 AM   #67
Chippy Minton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
We all play the odds - Life's a lottery. I prefer the odds if I'm wearing a seat belt.
The problem is that most people are prepared to gamble more when wearing a seat belt because they believe that the risk has been removed. Wear a seat belt but drive your A as though you haven't got one.
I ride a sports touring motorcycle and won't go fifty yards without my helmet, protective clothing and gloves. However while I am on the road I understand that I remain vulnerable and if I am involved in an incident almost anything I hit is going to do me a lot of harm. I drive my Model A in the same way. I take far more (calculated) risks in my other cars.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #68
bettlesr

First ride around the block I did in mine, I wound up on the wrong side of the car on a left hand turn. Leatherette seats sure are slippery. Next trip was done with seat belts in the car.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #69
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
At least half of the Model As here are open cars. You can't put a shoulder belt in those.....Next idea?
Well, here it is. In all of my As, I have a lap belt for each passenger and either a lap/sash belt or racing style harness for the driver. I'm usually the driver and I don't want to be impaled on the steering column. Wearing them makes me feel much safer but I know I am still not as safe as in a modern car.
I think equally important for safety is your safe driving ability/techniques
It is possible to put retractable 3 point belts in an open car, while mine is neither A or original we did it. The package tray for the chest harness is available on roadsters and could be put in between the seat and seat frame on a phaeton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Not a fan of belts in a model A. While i certainly understand the dangers of being thrown out in an accident (which is WAY more likely in an A than a modern car), I also understand that being strapped in with the fuel tank virtually in your lap has it's inherent risks well in a accident. I don't like either consideration. As someone else mentioned, the bigger risk, IMO is being thrown out just by the door coming open in a curve (for the passenger) and for this, and this only, I would consider belts.
It is quite rare to be trapped by a seat belt and still be conscious and alert enough and not injured to badly to get out of a vehicle quickly if needed. As a volunteer firefighter I have been to many a wreck and can only recall having to cut seat belts once with the occupants having minor injury (and that car had rolled over several times and down an embankment ending up upside down where without seat belts they would have been seriously injured). And 3 point harnesses are far better than just seat belts.

I would not worry about a perfect installation in an antique car that would not have had them otherwise... 50% of something is infinitely better than nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0506.jpg (65.2 KB, 34 views)
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #70
mhsprecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinUtah View Post
In 1963 dad and I were in his 55 Chevy pickup and we're hit by a fast moving freight train . Chevy did not have seat belts and we were thrown out of the truck and both lived. If we had been strapped in no way could we have survived after seeing what was left of the truck.
These situations do happen, but I think the statistics support the use of seatbelts vs. not. It is a matter of the odds. Would you not do something because of the 10% chance it could do you harm rather than the 90% chance that it would not? You can't predict every situation, so you have to go with what has the best chance of saving your life, and that is wearing seat belts.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #71
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
All my As have seat belts, will they save my life in an accident maybe, maybe not.
Same with a modern car, maybe save your life maybe cause your death. Do we use seatbelts in your modern car? Some do some don't. Same with the A.

In my opinion this is a foolish debate as this is no "right" answer.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #72
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I put belts in my A, they are there for anyone to use. I explain to them where the gas tank is, fuel line and how the body can separate from the frame, then I leave it up to them....they usually don't bother.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote