Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
Solo_909

Default 51 merc 3 on the tree adjustment?

Hey guys so I have a 51 merc and just reinstalled the 3sp manual trans. My questions is what’s the proper way to adjust the linkage?

Someone had mentioned that the levers coming out of the colum need to be even when in neutral, is that true? Which way does it need to be adjusted? Does the one closest to the firewall need to be moved down or the one furtherest away from the firewall need to be moved up or both?

Attached is what mine look like in neutral now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C55580B1-D7DD-4732-B96B-8CA367A8EEF8.jpg (50.2 KB, 53 views)
Solo_909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: 51 merc 3 on the tree adjustment?

i see you have the same thread on the hamb, apparently you need another description, thats ok, i'll give it a whirl. you have two levers on the side of the transmission. each lever has three positions. one lever will click into 1st and reverse, the other does 2nd and 3rd. you need to find the middle, or center detent (click) position for both of the levers described on the trans. keep in mind, they probably wont click all the way in to gear without rotating the trans, but you should still be able to figure out where the middle is, which is neutral. next, your column shifter has the same h pattern as a floor shift car, but its sideways. so put the column shift lever in neutral, rite smack in the middle of the h, and then adjust the rods so they will slip on without changing any of the previous settings of the levers on the trans, or the column. pretty simple really
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
Solo_909

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i see you have the same thread on the hamb, apparently you need another description, thats ok, i'll give it a whirl. you have two levers on the side of the transmission. each lever has three positions. one lever will click into 1st and reverse, the other does 2nd and 3rd. you need to find the middle, or center detent (click) position for both of the levers described on the trans. keep in mind, they probably wont click all the way in to gear without rotating the trans, but you should still be able to figure out where the middle is, which is neutral. next, your column shifter has the same h pattern as a floor shift car, but its sideways. so put the column shift lever in neutral, rite smack in the middle of the h, and then adjust the rods so they will slip on without changing any of the previous settings of the levers on the trans, or the column. pretty simple really
Yeah I try to post on both sites so I can gather as much info as possible.

Awesome, that makes total sense! My question now is about the levers, do they have to be parallel or is it okay to have them look like what is in my attached photo? Someone had mentioned that they need to be parallel so I’m trying to find out if that’s true.

Second question is should there be any play in the levers? Mine seems to have some slop in them.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:56 PM   #4
cas3

in a perfect world they would end up parallel. but you are working on an old wore out car. just put the shift lever on the column in the middle of the H pattern, and where they end up is where they end up. some time when things are worn you may find it needs some fine tuning, but thats where you have to start, in the middle on both the tranny and the shifter. if the bushings on the rods are not round, they are worn and should be replaced at this time also, thats the play in the rods. some is ok, none is better
Old 02-18-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
cas3

wow i just looked at the hamb thread, they are making quite a procedure out of it. i hope my info helps. thats how i have always installed shifters before! https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...#post-12961716
Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
rotorwrench

The Mercs have a shift tube inside the column that has small nubs on it to engage slots in the arms down on the shift tube. When pulling the shifter lever either toward you or pushing it away from you in neutral, the nubs have to align in order to easily engage the shifter arms. I've had them wear down and even sheer off. It's all about easilly shifting across neutral to either the 1st/reverse arm range or the 2nd/high arm range for control.

A lot of the Mercs if not all , have rivets that hold the shift arms on the transmission and they have rubber mounted bushings where the linkages engage them. This stuff can wear out and get pretty loose & sloppy. I've replaced all that stuff before and it can be a job. Mac VanPelt has the clevis pins that I used to function as rivets when reinstalling some rebuilt shift arms on the transmission. If yours are still good then you are a lucky man.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:15 AM   #7
Solo_909

Thanks fellas, got it all squared away and shifts amazing now.