Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
My Old Blue

Default 56 Country Sedan Torque Converter

I have been able to pull my transmission out to start solving the oil leaks from the front input shaft seal and possible torque converter seal.

I pulled off the torque converter plate to access inside and inspect the seal and found it pretty much petrified rubber. Went further to inspect the two thrust washers, one bronze and second steel. They appeared to be ok but I am planning to replace them.

What I found looking for these washers is that neither one is a common item in any of the online obsolete / restoration part sites. In fact, took alot of creative key terms in different search engines to find them. I was able to find them though.

Has anyone else replaced these thrust washers? Does not seem to be a common item and perhaps not something one should replace due to internal wear patterns and replacing to whole converted is standard practice?
My Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 56 Country Sedan Torque Converter

There is actually about ten thrust washers in the whole transmission, two of which are installed in the converter. None of the thrust washers are furnished in any of the premium Ford-O-Matic rebuild kits I've seen in the past 20 years or so.
But if you had to replace one, you can probably get them from some place like Northwest Transmission Parts, or any trans rebuild shop should be able to get it for you. Those washers are constantly deluged with fluid, so they shouldn't really incur any noticeable wear.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote