Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #101
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Model A motor froze-up

Tom, of course is correct! You get the greatest gear advantage in third gear and your least in reverse, but what I wondered was could the engine be turned in the opposite direction. Was something up against something that was stuck and stopping. Would it turn in the opposite direction?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #102
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
It would sure be nice if someone could pay her a visit and maybe help her out. I would if I were not so far,far away. Good luck with it Betsy
zz read post #99

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 08-28-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #103
Terry, NJ

Yeah Bill, That thing is gonna smoke like hell when it finally starts. At least a quart of MMO in the manifolds and tailpipe. Mosquito killer! Let's get it cranking over first. Betsey says there's been a very little movement in the fan which kinda says maybe the pistons aren't stuck. I'm grabbing at straws, but I'm wondering if maybe it's a couple of lifters are really locked up. Or maybe the cam itself is locked (center bearing, iron on iron). The fiber cam gear would flex a little, but the cam wouldn't turn.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Yep, some cylinders will drain down because of some open valves. It's apparent that the pistons are stuck, so concentrate on keeping pouring stuff in the spark plug holes. Bill W.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #104
BetsyModelA

Got good news! I'm excited! Not big news, but nevertheless good news!
The fan moved. I can now turn it full circle - both ways. I'm hoping that's a start.
Thanks for the idea "for someone to come and help me out." I located a relative who is interested in traveling to our home to "look at" Betsy. I'm hoping he brings his wrench set. I'll keep everyone posted. In the meantime, I'm still rockin and rollin - with a little more vigor.
BetsyModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #105
Tom Wesenberg

That's great news. I knew as long as you got the fan to move any at all, it wouldn't be long until the engine goes all the way around. Hopefully you don't also have4 a bunch of stuck valves. If you do then a bent screwdriver through the spark plug holes might get them pushed back down.

I just got a Honda 2 cylinder water cooled lawn mower engine to move freely by using MMO in the cylinders.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #106
Rusty Homestead Fl

Good news! I can almost hear it running, or with all that MMO in the system, SEE it running!! lol. You're on your way !
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #107
Ross/Kzoo

Oh Happy Day!
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #108
BetsyModelA

Thanks, All, for your advice and enthusiasum.
I'm expecting to get more action - soon.
I'll let you know when the crank makes a move. Hopefully, soon.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #109
BetsyModelA

midgetracer, you're welcome at our home anytime. I'd love to show you Betsy.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #110
Bob C

Ok I'm confused, you said the fan turns in post 104 and then in post 108
"I'll let you know when the crank makes a move"

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #111
BetsyModelA

Okay, Bob C, Perhaps you can tell me what is happening.
The crank does not turn, or move, only slightly when I rock Betsy.
The fan blades now turn when I move them with my hands.
I guess I didn't make that clear with my recent post.
You see, the fan blades were stuck solid before today. Now they turn with my manual force.
I didn't mean to mislead anyone into thinking that the motor was moving, only the fan. Even that to me was a break-through as a beginning toward success.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #112
Tom Wesenberg

As long as the crankshaft moves a little back and forth, then continued rocking should get it to slowly rotate more. That's good that you got the fan free because a stuck water pump can greatly hold back an engine if the belt is tight.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #113
BILL WILLIAMSON

Dog here,
Iffin' the starter's off, get a pry bar onto the flywheel TEETH, a LOT of pressure can be applied thet a way!
Buster T.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #114
700rpm

Quote:
Dog here,
Iffin' the starter's off, get a pry bar onto the flywheel TEETH, a LOT of pressure can be applied thet a way!
Buster T.
Bill, that seems like it could crack the flywheel housing. I'd be cautious about that.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #115
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Bill, that seems like it could crack the flywheel housing. I'd be cautious about that.
Well, Ray, The Dog & I feel that Ol' Henry made stuff "FORD-TUFF", even so, one should always be cautious, & NOT use a sledge hammer or something drastic! That thing's NOT ever going to turn by just squirtin' stuff in it & STARING at it!!
Chief always drilled a 5/8" hole in the R/F of the flywheel housing to facilitate a quick unlocking of a stuck starter bendix, with just a quick pry with a medium screwdriver. I wish I remembered the EXACT location for that hole. It was a Godsend, when you had NO help to push the car when the starter stuck, or if the car was parked where you couldn't push it, or in the middle of a MUDDY road! This trick was shown to him by his old buddy, Bill Ogan, our small town Ford Dealer in Valliant, Oklahoma! Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MUDDY.jpg (86.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #116
700rpm

Quote:
Well, Ray, The Dog & I feel that Ol' Henry made stuff "FORD-TUFF", even so, one should always be cautious, & NOT use a sledge hammer or something drastic! That thing's NOT ever going to turn by just squirtin' stuff in it & STARING at it!!
Chief always drilled a 5/8" hole in the R/F of the flywheel housing to facilitate a quick unlocking of a stuck starter bendix, with just a quick pry with a medium screwdriver. I wish I remembered the EXACT location for that hole. It was a Godsend, when you had NO help to push the car when the starter stuck, or if the car was parked where you couldn't push it, or in the middle of a MUDDY road! This trick was shown to him by his old buddy, Bill Ogan, our small town Ford Dealer in Valliant, Oklahoma! Bill W.
I like the picture!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #117
EJGjr

I used a combo of mystery oil and wd40.I put it in the cyls,let it sit adding more for a few days. Then tried to hand turn it.Some times it works on the first try.Most of the it takes a while.I could only spin it a fraction of turn.After a couple days I filled it up again.This time it moved a bit more.I repeated this until it could be spun a complete turn.If you get that far and try to start it beware it will smoke out your neighbors.
EJGjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #118
elfox

I had roughly the same problem. I used the 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone as well. be sure to get some on the valve seats, and into the piston when you put it down the spark plug hole. I let mine sit for a few days, then lifted *one* rear tire off the ground, put the tranny in 3rd, made sure the plugs were out, and started working the tire backwards and forwards. Eventually I saw the fan blade start to move, and now she is running great. Don't give up!
elfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #119
Michael M

I see that there have been over 3500 views of this thread. I'm sure that most are viewing this as I am - as a cliffhanger. Wishing Betsy success, sooner rather than later!
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #120
BetsyModelA

Thank you, to both elfox and Michael, my two most recent comers to my cheering section. Not only have I gone through a gallon of Marvel's Miracle Oil (poured into the 4 spark plug holes) but I am squirting tons (slight exaggeration) of liquid wrench wd40, and blaster on nuts and bolts for further projects of loosening Betsy's insides. The fact that the fan moves for me keeps me squirting, shaking, and rocking Betsy.
I do want to give a line of curiousity: for all the MMO I've poured into the 4 spark plug holes, one shows liquid just below the spark plug hole. The other 3 have no sign of MMO. The one hole with obvious MMO is the second from the left. Is there any significance with one cylinder/piston over another? Why do you think one of the four shows MMO and the others none? I'm curious. I'll eventually take the head off - then I'll see what's in Betsy's belly. I'm beginning to feel like a doctor. Poor Betsy is my patient. Thanks for all of your "get well" wishes.