Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
fordcragar

Default Model A halogen headlight conversion

Do any of you have recommendations for a halogen headlight conversion that will still utilize the stock Model A headlight lens/buckets?

I would like to have some brighter lights.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model A halogen headlight conversion

Brighter, ........or better?

Any of the halogen conversions will make them brighter however the chrome plated reproduction reflectors do not reflect as well as what silver-plated original reflectors do using incandescent bulbs.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
Barry B./ Ma.

I had the halogen conversion with new reflectors in my sedan and they were very bright. They take a lot of power so you need good grounds and an alternator. The focus is not adjustable but they are very bright anyway. On my coupe I have uvira coated reflectors and stock bulbs and they very good but aren't quite as bright as the sedan but I could use the Little British halogen bulbs in the stock sockets and get much more brightness without having to use an alternator.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
John/CT

After a close encounter with a deer one evening last fall, I installed Snyder's halogen kit #A-13027-QK6 in my town sedan. The lights are much brighter. When the lights were on high beam, my horn operated too slowly with the original generator, so I followed Snyder's recommendation and installed an alternator. I've been very happy with this arrangement.
John/CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
RonC

Yes there are halogen 6V bulbs available that work without modifying your original head light reflectors.

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BULB2
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
Tom Sieffert

Yes there are halogen bulbs available that work without modifying your original head light reflectors and sockets. And you can get 6V, 8V and 12V bulbs. Go to:

www.classicandvintagebulbs.com
Tom Sieffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
30Tudor

On the halogen bulbs that fit into the stock sockets, we did an informal test at a club meeting a couple of weeks ago and came to the conclusion that for the extra price of the halogen bulbs there was not a justifiable improvement. We tested the 25/25 Watt halogen ($27 each) against the 50/32cp normal bulb ($1.25 each). We didn't use a light meter, however, based on the judgement of 12 people we concluded that the brightness was the same if not a bit better with the normal bulb. The color of the halogen bulbs is a bit whiter which I think leads people to think they are brighter. I now have a couple of the 6v halogens for sale.
30Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
roccaas

I went with the Bratton's set up a few years back. You have to grind out the center of the reflector to allow the socket to fit. I just duct tape the socket to the rear of the reflector bowl.

It is much brighter than standard bulbs, but the heat generated in the buckets means you have to use wire from a stove to handle the last 6 inches of run to the bulb.

The inability to aim the light is a problem on low beam. Mine project about 10 feet in front of the car, but on high beam it can't be beat.

Alternator is a must, but the generator with the voltage regulator may work (see Model A Times a few months back for info on the regulator).

I drive at night in traffic alot, so the halogens are a good investment. If you don't drive at night, it probably isn't worth the cost.
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Kevin in NJ

The direct replacement bulbs are made in Australia and available through multiple vendors.

The bulbs work great with the original system. They use about the same amount of current as the original bulbs. They provide a white light that will allow you to run 55 MPH in the woods using less then great original reflectors. At least that is the experience for the last few years my brother has found.

The bulbs have the filament in the proper position so if you have a properly focused lamp you may not have to adjust the bulb. If you do not have a properly focused bulb then the lamps will not help much.

The other bulbs and repro reflectors can cause you more grief and cost you way more money as they require a properly set up alternator (I rarely see a properly set up alternator). If the direct replacement bulbs are not doing the job for you than something is wrong with your setup.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Kurt in NJ

I have had the Halogen bulbs from Classic and Vintage bulbs for more than 8 years, before that I had the 50 cp bulbs, with the 50 cp bulbs I had to crank up my charging rate to have them bright, then I put in the Halogen bulbs--in the original sockets, with the original wiring, it was a miracle, now I could see at night, and I could cut the charging rate back, also now there is a barely perceptable change in light output when the generator goes off charge at idle.

The focus was the same as with regular bulbs, and there is a definite difference between high and low beam.

I can still have a slight + charge with the original generator and have the lights on, the light system with the halogens takes 10-11 amps with dual tail lights.

I think there are "cheaper" copys of these bulbs being sold that do not work as well, but I know the Classic and vintage bulbs work. --i bought mine at Hershey and in 8 years of use (about 50% of my driving is with the lights on)I have yet to need the spare bulb I bought.

In my testing I have found that they will light up reflectors on the poles and signs for more than 2/3 mile --at least 8 poles ahead.

You do NOT need to have an alternator to have Halogen bulbs.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
The direct replacement bulbs are made in Australia and available through multiple vendors.

The bulbs work great with the original system. They use about the same amount of current as the original bulbs. They provide a white light that will allow you to run 55 MPH in the woods using less then great original reflectors. At least that is the experience for the last few years my brother has found.

The bulbs have the filament in the proper position so if you have a properly focused lamp you may not have to adjust the bulb. If you do not have a properly focused bulb then the lamps will not help much.

The other bulbs and repro reflectors can cause you more grief and cost you way more money as they require a properly set up alternator (I rarely see a properly set up alternator). If the direct replacement bulbs are not doing the job for you than something is wrong with your setup.

I bought mine from a vendor in Hershey. On the box is www.classicandvintagebulbs.com
Postal Address: 82 Cumming Street
Blackwood South Australia 5051
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote